H9: issue with expression pedal (PC w/Bluetooth)

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9: issue with expression pedal (PC w/Bluetooth)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      ricklbrand
      Participant

I connect to my H9s with a Windows PC over Bluetooth.  I am having a lot of problems defining the range/sweep of the expression.  The "light ring" was behaving like it had a mind of it's own.  I would press a button at the end of the ribbon bar, sweep the parameter knob, and set a range of values.  After exiting out, the light ring would begin to drift or change on it's own.  Sometimes, the MIN value would change, sometimes, the MAX value would change, sometimes the whole ring would drive and cause both the MIN and MAX to be different.

In the past, I used an iPad to connect and don't recall these issues.  Are there known issues (latency) with a PC + Bluetooth connection that would lead to odd behavior with defining an expression range?  Everything else works fine, but expression pedal setup is frustrating.

gkellum
      Participant

ricklbrand:

Are there known issues (latency) with a PC + Bluetooth connection that would lead to odd behavior with defining an expression range?  Everything else works fine, but expression pedal setup is frustrating.

This is the first we've heard of anyone having problems doing that. We'll have to check it out and see if we see the same behavior.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Can you try it with a different pedal ?

KCStratman
      Participant

I posted a week or so ago that when using my H9s via blue tooth dongle to PC that the expression pedal arcs in H9 control were erratic, jumping up and down their range and would not stabilize to save new settings. Also, I would like to repeat my long ago request that the endpoints of the arcs that indicate heel and toe be color coded so that it is possible to see if it is a forward or reverse sweep. Perhaps red for heel and green for toe would be logical? Thanks!

KCStratman
      Participant

I am using a Mission Engineering EP-25K dual-output expression pedal. Thanks, Nick!

LA Keys
      Participant

KCStratman:

I posted a week or so ago that when using my H9s via blue tooth dongle to PC that the expression pedal arcs in H9 control were erratic, jumping up and down their range and would not stabilize to save new settings.

Well, I should say that I have a similar problem here. Same setup: PC -> bluetooth dongle -> H9

On my side if I move the endpoint on the Control software it takes forever to transmit the new "position" to the H9. I actually can see the endpoint sloooooowly reaching the new position on the H9 control software, although not jumping or anything…

It is as if the dongle was transmitting everery single intermediate positions to the H9. I'm a programmer and would like to suggest that there's many ways to solve this. Here is what I'm thinking:

Sending the new position after the mouse click (This is after the "up" of the click) would allow to send only the final position for this endpoint and largely contribute to reduce the data traffic send via bluetooth.

To alleviate this problem I'm simply waiting until the endpoint stabilize before touching anything else on the H9 software. This is also indicated by the bluetooth dongle stopping flashing. This is slow but a workaround this problem.

I also agree that indicating the endpoints with a disctinctive color would be a welcome improvement.

LA

gkellum
      Participant

LA Keys:

Well, I should say that I have a similar problem here. Same setup: PC -> bluetooth dongle -> H9

On my side if I move the endpoint on the Control software it takes forever to transmit the new "position" to the H9. I actually can see the endpoint sloooooowly reaching the new position on the H9 control software, although not jumping or anything…

It is as if the dongle was transmitting everery single intermediate positions to the H9. I'm a programmer and would like to suggest that there's many ways to solve this. Here is what I'm thinking:

Sending the new position after the mouse click (This is after the "up" of the click) would allow to send only the final position for this endpoint and largely contribute to reduce the data traffic send via bluetooth.

Ok, so I'm seeing what you guys are seeing as well, and the solution LA Keys suggested should work. We're (more or less) doing that in other cases as well.

ricklbrand
      Participant

Thanks for the quick response.  I guess that means an update is on the way?  I moved to the PC because of issues with my iPad Air and two H9s.  I'm really looking forward to getting this piece of the puzzle working correctly.

Another, related question.  To turn off the expression pedal for a parameter, I assume the only/best method is to simply set the start and end of the light ring (arc) to be the same value?  Or, is there another method?  I messed up some of my presets trying to edit the ring and need to set them back to not being affected by the expression pedal.

LA Keys
      Participant

ricklbrand:

To turn off the expression pedal for a parameter, I assume the only/best method is to simply set the start and end of the light ring (arc) to be the same value?

The easiest way I've found is to double click on the control (virtual pot) and select "UnMap from expression pedal". This will get rid of the start and end points.

LA

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.