H9 issues: bluetooth and DDL algorithm feedback out of sync

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 issues: bluetooth and DDL algorithm feedback out of sync

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      rmaxwell1
      Participant

I just got an H9 Core and love what it can do.  However I am having 2 rather frustrating problems.

1) Bluetooth:  I have the H9 connected to a 1st generation iConnectMIDI box via the iConnect's "host" usb port.  The H9 is sending OUT MIDI clock data, and receiving various MIDI CC values, all via the iConnectivity box.  All works fine.  BUT….when I connect via Bluetooth (via iPhone or iPad) the H9 will connect but when I start to edit things via the H9Control app it times out.  I keep getting a loop of error messages stating that the pedal is no longer connected, is not responding, etc.  The pedal also locks up and I have to recycle power.  I'm using the Eventide power supply, by the way.  If I disconnect the H9 from the iConnectivity box the H9 Control app works just fine.  Unfortunately, because my setup requires the H9 to send out MIDI clock, when I disconnect it in this way, the rest of my set up will not function properly so I cannot "hear" what I am changing on the H9 as I do it.  Essentially, I have to guess on the edits, reboot the H9 and plug it back in to the iConnectivity box, and then test.  Not ideal, to say the least.  Also, when I try to connect via USB to my MacBook pro running the H9 program I cannot do so through the iConnectivity box.  The H9 simply will not show up.  I know it's not the iConnectivity box, because it does pass all other data as it should for all other elements of my setup.  I've also rebooted and reinstalled the most recent H9 software a couple of times to see if I could "jump start" the H9 with no luck.

2) Time Factor Digital Delay Feedback sync:  I am guessing this is all related, but the other problem is that when I do play through the H9 with the Digital Delay algorithm, while the delays themselves are in sync with what ever tempo I tap on the pedal, and the rest of my setup that is also in sync with that same tap; but when I increase the feedback past 0 the delays start to drift.  It almost sounds as if they are colliding into each other and get quickly built up to a point of rhythmic chaos.  Very much not a digital delay effect. My Time Factor pedal with the exact same settings does not at all behave this way, so I figure it must be something to do with the H9.

Sorry or the long post.  I hope this all makes sense.  I love your products and if I must go back to the Time Factor  and return the H9 I suppose I will but I'd really like the H9 to work properly.  Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.  Oh, and I've also sent this as an email to your support in hopes of assistance.  Thanks!  -Max

rmaxwell1
      Participant

Update: I was able to resolve problem 2.  Turns out it was being caused by conflicting aux switch and eexp pedal messages. Clearly user error.  My bad. Still no luck for me though on 1)

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I'm not familiar with the iConnectMIDI, but I am guessing that you are trying to control the H9 with both MIDI and Bluetooth at the same time.

When we designed the product we expected people to use either BT or MIDI to control it. As a result it does not handle simultaneous operation very well.

Clearly, we were mistaken, and aim to improve this interoperability in the future. In the meantime, best stick to either BT or MIDI at any given time.

A further issue is that the unit can also not operate on both MIDI and USB at the same time. If the USB is connected, the MIDI is shut off. This is due to necessary hardware restrictions. Sorry.

Important to remember that this is a guitar pedal, not a massive computer.

rmaxwell1
      Participant

Thanks for such a fast response. Your customer service is really impressive. For what it's worth I'm only using the USB connection not the din for midi but the rest of your response does make sense.  I'll look forward to the integrations of using both bt and midi simultaneously in the future.  For now I will make do as is. The h9 is worth it for all it can do.  Thanks again. -Max

rmaxwell1
      Participant

Oh, what about when I am not using Bluetooth at all and connecting via the MacBook? I know some gear does not play well with USB hubs.  Is it possible that this is the cace with the H9 and it must be connected directly to the MacBook?  On some levels that would make sense to me except that as I said, when not editing, just in operational mode within my setup, the H9 is fine connected to the iconnectivity host port via a USB hub.  Just curious to confirm with you.  Thanks. -Max

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I'm not sure that the H9 would care (or even know about) the hub – this is more likely to be an issue upstream. Presumably the test would be to try it with and without the hub.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.