H9 kill dry function issue

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 kill dry function issue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      fog_ducker
      Participant

I was forced to purchase a reverb pedal after discovering the H9 was not capable of stacking algorithms.  I went with a Strymon Blue Sky as I am limited with space and it has a small footprint.  Problem I'm having is I have activated the kill dry signal on the H9 as I have a parallel loop on my Framus Dragon head and I was experiencing phase cancellation.  This has caused the Strymon to get lost, no matter if it is before or after the H9 in the signal chain?  When the H9 is engaged, it comes back.  It did however solve the phasing issue with the H9.  Questions are
      1). Would another pedal with it's own kill dry feature still encounter this problem?
      2)  Has anyone encountered/heard of this?  I tried all 3 different settings ex:  true bypass, DSP etc with no luck.
      Thanks in advance.

satch4u4
      Participant

Did you ever find an answer or solution to this? I am having the same issue, except my setup is a little different.

I am running an H9, TimeLine and Big Sky (in that order) into an RJM mini line mixer that is all after(POST) a Two Notes Torpedo Live. So Kill Dry is active on all pedals. With the H9’s bypass mode set to DSP or DSP+FX, I seem to be loosing volume in my signal. With it set to Relay, I get the volume back but my delays and reverbs from the Strymon pedals are almost lost. Am I doing something wrong here?

DGillespie
        Eventide Staff

Hi satch4u4,

Are you feeding the inputs from all these out of the amp loop, or are they feeding into one another?  If you're going to run from a parallel effects loop you need to run all the pedals in parallel and sum the otputs.  It sounds like you're summing the outputs, but you need to use a splitter cable to feed them all from the amp.

Dan

satch4u4
      Participant

Hi Dan – Yes I am using a splitter. The Galaxy JIB S 4-way splitter. Sorry. Should have included that.

So the line out of the torpedo goes in to the splitter that splits the signal to the inputs of each pedal as well as to the Dry input on the RJM Mini Line mixer. Then mono output of each pedal to its own jack on the RJM Mini Line mixer.

DGillespie
      Eventide Staff

Do you mean that you lose volume when you bypass the H9?  For something like this it might be easiest to debug by trying just one pedal at a time.

satch4u4
      Participant

While the pedal is bypassd(mute in kill dry). and I toggle through the different bypass settings using H9 Control. Yes I am going to do a little more troubleshooting this evening.

satch4u4
      Participant

So after a little more troubleshooting, it appears that when the relay bypass mode is selected, it’s just increasing the over all volume of my signal as well as eating up some of the level of my parallel timeline and bigsky effects after it. With the H9 set to DSP or DSP+FX everything is fine. I disconnected all of the pedals from the chain to make sure and it sounds the same. 

Why does the relay setting do this?

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        satch4u4 wrote:

Why does the relay setting do this?

The relay just connects the input to the output, so is unlikely to cause anything in itself – it is as if the unit were not there (hence true bypass). You can probably confirm this by physically taking it out of circuit – this should have the same result.

satch4u4
      Participant

While the H9 is in Relay bypass mode, the extra volume goes away when I remove it from the circut. Weird.

satch4u4
      Participant

Ok so after more testing it appears as though when the H9 is bypassed and in Kill Dry and bypass mode set to Relay, it still sends a dry signal through from the H9’s Input to Output. Effectivley adding more volume to the signal. I tested this via the Dry Mute button on my RJM Mini Line Mixer. When this is enabled on the MLM, all you should here is the effected signal and none of the main dry signal. As stated before, I can hear dry guitar signal coming through when the H9 is bypassed and in Kill Dry and Bypass mode Relay. When I turn on the H9 (while still having the MLM Dry mute button engadged) all I can hear is the effect signal and NO dry, as it should be. I assume this makes sence given the nature of the Relay option. But I can’t seem to find anywhere in the manual that states that when in Kill Dry, Relay Bypass effectivly defeats the Kill Dry option. Or is there something am doing wrong? Or should I just assume this? haha I hope all that makes sence!!

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        satch4u4 wrote:

Ok so after more testing it appears as though when the H9 is bypassed and in Kill Dry and bypass mode set to Relay, it still sends a dry signal through from the H9's Input to Output. Effectivley adding more volume to the signal. I tested this via the Dry Mute button on my RJM Mini Line Mixer. When this is enabled on the MLM, all you should here is the effected signal and none of the main dry signal. As stated before, I can hear dry guitar signal coming through when the H9 is bypassed and in Kill Dry and Bypass mode Relay. When I turn on the H9 (while still having the MLM Dry mute button engadged) all I can hear is the effect signal and NO dry, as it should be. I assume this makes sence given the nature of the Relay option. But I can't seem to find anywhere in the manual that states that when in Kill Dry, Relay Bypass effectivly defeats the Kill Dry option. Or is there something am doing wrong? Or should I just assume this? haha I hope all that makes sence!!

I'm afraid that you are missing the point. In Relay Bypass, the output is directly and electrically connected nto the input (100% dry). So, no KillDry, no  DSP+FX, etc.

In effect, it is out of circuit, no longer there.

DGillespie
        Eventide Staff
        satch4u4 wrote:

Ok so after more testing it appears as though when the H9 is bypassed and in Kill Dry and bypass mode set to Relay, it still sends a dry signal through from the H9's Input to Output. Effectivley adding more volume to the signal. I tested this via the Dry Mute button on my RJM Mini Line Mixer. When this is enabled on the MLM, all you should here is the effected signal and none of the main dry signal. As stated before, I can hear dry guitar signal coming through when the H9 is bypassed and in Kill Dry and Bypass mode Relay. When I turn on the H9 (while still having the MLM Dry mute button engadged) all I can hear is the effect signal and NO dry, as it should be. I assume this makes sence given the nature of the Relay option. But I can't seem to find anywhere in the manual that states that when in Kill Dry, Relay Bypass effectivly defeats the Kill Dry option. Or is there something am doing wrong? Or should I just assume this? haha I hope all that makes sence!!

Hi Satchu4u,

I think you are correct that this is the case, which would mean you'd have to use DSP or DSP+FX if you're in Kill Dry mode.  I'll suggest this gets added to the manual.

Dan

satch4u4
      Participant

I get the purpose of using Relay. I just didn’t expect it to raise the level of my signal  and eat up my Strymon Timeline and BigSky effects when the pedal is bypassed.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.