H9 MAX and Helix Floor.Where to start?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 MAX and Helix Floor.Where to start?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      BMW-KTM
      Participant

I’m kind of in the same boat as the OP but not exactly the same.
      Basically, I am a MIDI newbie.  Really green.  Like, never done anything with MIDI before.  Ever.  I don’t know how it works or where to start.
      I have an H9 Max that I have only ever used for recording and have only ever used the iPad app to control the device and did not make program changes during a session.

I put the H9 aside for a couple of years after I got Helix Floor but now I am thinking about the possibility of running the H9 in one of the loops and using the Helix to control the H9 and select different H9 algos for different Helix snapshots.  I don’t even know if that’s possible but I assume/hope it must be since Helix has MIDI ports.

Is there some kind of resource for learning how to integrate these two devices?

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Thank your for you question. I’m also a Line 6 Helix user, and yes, it possible to control the H9 via the Helix Floor using MIDI. You can even open and close effects loops at will with snapshots if you want.

In the MIDI world, two or more devices need to be on the same MIDI channel to communicate. Usually the default is either MIDI channel #1 or OMNI, meaning the pedal will receive commands from all channels. As long as your Helix and H9 are set to the same channel that’s what’s most important. Take a cable from the Helix’s MIDI OUT to the MIDI IN of the H9 and try going through the presets on your Helix. Does the H9 react sequentially as you change presets on Helix? From factory, I believe this should work automatically. If not, remember, make sure Helix and H9 are on the same MIDI channel.

Next thing to work on is inserting an FX Loop block in the Helix. Are you running your rig in mono or stereo, because there are FX Loop blocks that correspond to both. You also have to decide where in the signal chain you want the H9 to appear – after the preamp stage but before the cab, after both preamp and cab, or even straight into the amp if you’re running things clean. You can find videos on how to do this on YouTube. Here are a few:

Helix allows you to inject your H9 using FX Loop blocks or individual FX send and FX return block, in case you want to send the signal to the H9 after the preamp but return it post cab or whatever you want to use. Experiment to find what sounds good to you.

This is a good BEGINNERS GUIDE TO MIDI: https://youtu.be/JIzCEYvwt1M

Lastly, you’ll want to organize the presets on H9 so they work with the signal chains you’ve created on your Helix. This is easiest to do on H9 Control. Create a preset list, organize them in the order you want, then download that list to your pedal so that your preset changes occur in order.

I think that’s enough info for now. Feel free to ask any questions as you go.

BMW-KTM
      Participant

I run my Helix into my guitar amp using the 4 cable method.  So … no stereo yet although I am considering possibly in the future acquiring a couple of small FRFR self powered cabs to try a wet/dry/wet system.

First things first, though.  I want to investigate using the H9 with my Helix.

Thanks for the videos.  I will have a look-see.

BMW-KTM
      Participant

Thanks for the vids.  Those seem mostly concerned with connecting the devices to the loops.

That’s something I already know how to do but thank you just the same.

I am more interested in how to build and edit my Helix presets and snapshots to affect program changes and control changes in the H9 under the control of Helix.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

These videos may help you gain a better understanding of how to interface external pedals with Helix.

Video specifically about H9: https://youtu.be/_dQLbpA83xE

Here’s another example that talks about using the CC map on an external device (REVV D20) to program snapshots. You can just consult the CC map on H9 Control by going into the Pedal tab, MIDI Settings, Assign MIDI CC Messages, and there you will see what CC#s have been assigned to control the H9 functions. All of that is customizable.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.