H9 Max Issue

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 Max Issue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Tobyz1962
      Participant

Hello Everyone,

I am a new owner/user of this amazing H9 Max stomp box. There seems to be an issue when I use 2 of  the effects under the H9 algorithms. CrushStation and Sculpt. When I select a preset, “CrushStation Bisque” for example, The sound cuts in and out as if there is a bad/intermittent connection.Also I have to turn the volume down as well because it sounds like the speaker is about to explode when the sound finally comes out. Now 20 years ago I would not have minded this but my aging ears can no longer take it…haha.

UltraTap, Resonator,EQ Compressor and SpaceTime work fine. All of the others, Time Factor,Mod Factor, Pitch Factor and Space all work flawlessly.

Are these just meant to be played at max volume? Or is there possibly an issue? I live in an apartment and really only play through headphones as there is no reason that any sounds I make with a guitar would be enjoyed by anyone else.

Thanks in advance

floresp640
      Eventide Staff

Hi there! It sounds like you have the ‘Sag’ knob in crushtation turned up. The Sag knob is supposed to emulate a bad tube or a dead battery. You could also have your ‘Gate’ turned on. You can toggle the gate in and off by pressing the ‘Tap’ stompbox and the ‘Preset’ button simoultaneously. 

In terms of your volume issue, since it is a distortion algorithm, it will naturally output more volume. You can fix this by lowering the output level on your H9 by holding down the left stompbox ‘Active’ and scrolling down the hotknob when the output indicator appears on the screen. 

We still love to get more information as to why you are having these issues. Is there anyway you could give us a bit more detail? Which presets did these issuues become present in ‘Sculpt’ and ‘Crushstation’? What is your Rig? And if there is anyway for you to be able to take a video of the issue just so we can have a better understanding.

As for right now, I would try turning the Sag and the Gate off on Crushstation.

Hope this helps! 

silver_mica
        Participant

@floresp640 – Where is this documented?   

floresp640 wrote:
        You can toggle the gate in and off by pressing the ‘Tap’ stompbox and the ‘Preset’ button simoultaneously.

BMW-KTM
      Participant

Some iPad screen shots of your settings in H9 Control might help pinpoint if it’s simply an issue with the way the algo is tweaked.

Marcel
      Participant

Hi, I am also a new owner if the max. I also noticed this when testing prestets. I didn’t consider it as an issue, I considered it as a sound I didn’t like (bamm much too loud this sound!) and moved on to the next preset. Like others said its probably a variable in the preset that causes this effect.

Tobyz1962
      Participant

Hello again,

floresp640,BMW-KTM and Marcel thank you so much for your help and input. I am very grateful !!!

floresp640 you were spot on. Both  the “Gate” and “SAG” settings were the main issues. I was used to just selecting a preset and getting such clean, beautiful sounds without having to mess with any of the controls and when I came CrushStaion and Sculpt it sounded so terrible I could only think there was a problem with the electronics. Thank you so much. I’m a happy camper now. I guess I need to spend more time turning the control knobs and learning what they do. Thanks again. Problem solved!

I’m still learning this incredible little box. Also how to play guitar as well. I would never want to put anyone through the pain of hearing any sounds that my deformed fingers would conjure up so to answer your question, I have an American Delux Fat Strat feeding into the H9 Max then connected to a Crate GLX30 Amp.

Best Regards

Goodvibes

I’m having similar problems with several presets. I’ve checked the gate and sag settings and for “bottom feeder” these were on or turned up. However, the other presets do not have a sag setting and/or gate so it seems there is something else wrong. #61 has no output at all. #10, 53, 58 are intermittent and too loud once they do cut in. #62 and 67 do not seem right. WRT the gate and sag settings (if available), why aren’t these set differently for the factory preset so this doses not happen?

Goodvibes
        Goodvibes wrote:
        I’m having similar problems with several presets. I’ve checked the gate and sag settings and for “bottom feeder” these were on or turned up. However, the other presets do not have a sag setting and/or gate so it seems there is something else wrong. #61 has no output at all. #10, 53, 58 are intermittent and too loud once they do cut in. #62 and 67 do not seem right. WRT the gate and sag settings (if available), why aren’t these set differently for the factory preset so this doses not happen?

I guess I jumped the gun a bit. After I finally got it paired up to.my iMac and downloaded the newer software version, it appears that the problems I had have gone away. Bluetooth seems to working OK but for some reason the blue Bluetooth paired lite does not light up??

Goodvibes

I forgot to add that the preset #61 no output at all problem was die to the mix being on maximum. As soon as I turned the know back off a little I got sound. I’m not sure why this fixed it but…

Marcel
        Participant
        Goodvibes wrote:
        I forgot to add that the preset #61 no output at all problem was die to the mix being on maximum. As soon as I turned the know back off a little I got sound. I’m not sure why this fixed it but…

Thanks for sharing this observation. It makes me think: perhaps the “mix” knob is connected to ALL the variables, including the Gate…if that is the case then no output is logical: a 100 procent Gate means no sound…because the Gate is completely closed. If that was the fabric preset, its a bit of a stupid preset 🙂

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.