- This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 months, 1 week ago by Bunter.
January 19, 2022 at 12:10 pm #161685BunterParticipant
Hi, as per the Manual I am trying to lower the input level on the H9 Max, so on page 13 it says with Preset Active press and hold Left Footswitch
I assume Preset Active just means that the Left Hand Footswitch is ON, right?
I did the other things , held for 2 secs but the display says Out + O every time, not IN + O
Anyone got any ideas?
I also tried it by switching the Presets button on, top right
January 20, 2022 at 7:12 am #161744BunterParticipant
Purrleezzz…anyone got any clues to the above?
January 20, 2022 at 8:48 am #161745nickroseModeratorEventide Staff
I think you need to read the UM more carefully (make sure you have the latest version). What you are describing is input and output swell, not an input gain setting. A swell is where level can be controlled by the EXP pedal (or HOTKNOB), usually on a preset by preset basis. It works as described in the UM.
The H9 does not have a way to reduce input gain, and may be overloaded if you drive it with a hot line signal – the only way to fix this is with an external pad or other gain control. The INGAIN control is intended to increase (only) the input gain to help with a low output guitar.
January 20, 2022 at 2:33 pm #161758BunterParticipant
Thank you very much for your response!
Er….I’m pretty sure I am reading this carefully 🙂 as for the UM being the ‘latest’ version, it was the User Guide supplied with the unit, a few months ago, I’m assuming it isn’t out of date already?]
Page 13 Setting Input Level/Peak and Signal LEDs
Nothing about swell, nothing about EXP pedals, I didn’t mention those anywhere : only about what would be usual practice to lower input level if the front end is clipping – all perfectly as described in the manual.
Only – the following steps [EXACTLY as per the UM] don’t work.
If you follow the instructions:
1. With Preset Active, press and hold the Left Footswitch [the only bit here I’m not 100% sure of is the accurate definition of ‘Preset Active’, I assume it just means you have the preset loaded that you want to modify and it says the name of it on the screen]
2. After holding for 2 secs the display will show current input level gain setting [IN+0] [default value] it only displays Out +0 – not IN
3. Turn the knob to adjust output level from 0db [IN+0 to +db [IN+12] 1 in 1db increments.
All completely as you’d expect for adjusting a Clipping input, apart from the fact is says from 0db as your starting point and not a minus db possibility which is a bit odd.
BUT – the above procedure doesn’t do that
It only tells me the Out + 0 output level.
The H9 does not have a way to reduce input gain,
That seems to contradict what it says on Page 13 of the Use Guide which states:
Adjust the H9’s input level for best audio performance…….reduce the input level either by reducing the signal level fed to the H9 or by setting the H9’s input gain to a lower level
So it seems it does have a way to reduce the input level, maybe just not one that goes below 0db or one that’s accessible as described in the User GuideShow More...Show Less...
Thank you so much for your help and attention here.
January 21, 2022 at 1:30 pm #161774bohanModeratorEventide Staff
What you described above is from the “Setting Output Level” section.
This is what’s under “Setting Input Level/Peak and Signal LEDs”:
Adjust the H9’s input level for best audio performance. The red Peak LED indicates that the input signal level is close to clipping. Occasional flashing is OK. If the Peak LED is lit solidly, reduce the input level either by reducing the signal level fed to the H9 or by setting the H9’s input gain to a lower value. The green Signal Present LED shows signal present (40dB below clipping). Input Level is the same for all presets, and is found on the System Menu.
- Press and hold the HOTKNOB button and Right Footswitch simultaneously for a few seconds to enter System Mode.
- Turn the Knob until [UTILITY] is displayed.
- Momentarily press the HOTKNOB button.
- Turn the Knob until [INGAIN] is displayed.
- Momentarily press the HOTKNOB button.
- Turn the Knob to adjust the gain between 0dB and +18dB.
- Press and hold the HOTKNOB button and Right Footswitch simultaneously for a few seconds to exit System Mode.
January 24, 2022 at 6:17 am #161792BunterParticipant
Fantastic! That is just what I was looking for . Thank you very much.
However – My user guide is totally different from the the one you used…
January 25, 2022 at 3:42 pm #161831bohanModeratorEventide Staff
Maybe the one you use is outdated. You can find the latest one on our website.
January 25, 2022 at 4:06 pm #161832BunterParticipant
yup – all good , got it now
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.