H9 Max Problems – Right Out Of The Box

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 Max Problems – Right Out Of The Box

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      bmagsayo
      Participant

I sent an email to support but maybe I can get an answer sooner here.

I received just yesterday my H9 Max.  I connected the unit in mono and began scrolling through the presets 1-99 and found many of the presets not working or producing the wrong effect.  I sent a video to support with the first 17 presets played.  Below is a list of what was played in the video and the result of each.

1. DDLY – OK

2. ECHO – dry

3. SLAP – dry

4. THICK – no signal

5. LESLIE – dry

6. AUTO WAH – incorrect effect

7. EMAJ 3RD+ – incorrect effect

8. SPRING – OK

9. AIRBAG – OK

10. METAL – OK

11. STREETS – OK

12. STORYTELLER – OK

13. BLACKHOLE – OK

14. SHIMMER – OK

15. MODECHOVERB – OK 

16. SPLITTER VERB – OK

17. ELEC12STRING ROO – dry

I also played many of the presets in each algorithm through the H9 Control app with the same result.  Some worked correctly, most worked incorrectly, many were dry, and some with no signal.  Even adjusting the parameters and the ribbon thing did not change the sound whatsoever.

I tried clearing (pressing Tap switch/Hotknob) and Initializing (Tap switch/Big Knob) to no avail.  I had the unit in the loop, and I tried it in front of the amp too.

Does anyone have a fix to this issue, or a link?

Thanks in advance.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

If you are going in and out mono, make sure you are using input 1 and output 1.

bohan
      Eventide Staff

If you reinstall the latest firmware using the Direct Updater through USB, it should fix this issue.

The Direct Updater is bundled with the H9 Contorl.

Mac: Click Window -> Open Direct Updater in the menu bar

Windows: You can just search "Direct Updater" in your Start menu of find it in the H9 Control folder

John335
      Participant

I have that same problem but when I went to update via USB it told me that the H9 could not be updated. I’m wondering if that’s software corruption?

John335
      Participant

The fix for me was applying the update (even if you already have that version of software on it), and I also did it via USB and plugged into my computer.          What was interesting is that the first H9 would not update and neither would the second one Sweetwater sent me. But, finally the third one Sweetwater sent updated just fine and then I went back and the other two updated just fine. I have no idea why things went smoothly after the third one updated without a problem. Anyway, the three H9s now sound great and there are no problem with any of them.

Just had the same problem from a new H9 Max “Dark” Limited Edition. Firmware number was up to date but the pedal had all the same problems.

Tried reboots, resets and nothing changed so today I took a chance after reading the posts and used the ‘EVENTIDE DIRECT UPDATER’.

Problem SOLVED!

I was ready to return this newly purchased, new pedal as it was pitiful out of the box!

Thanks guys.

®…

Sp4zRX
      Participant

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

I was having the same issues and the update fixed it.

I want to add that the tuner wasn’t working either. When I would press both buttons to access the tuner, it would say “NO TUNA”.

All good now! Thank you!!!

bmagsayo
      Participant

My question is why doesn’t Eventide update their product before shipping or amend their instruction manual as the first thing to do upon receiving item.  Too costly?  Write it on a Post-It and slap it inside the box before wrapping her up.  I won’t judge.

🙂

To all concerned,

Glad there is peace and happiness now! Thanks for responding Eventide and confirming.

Later all,

®…

masoncbrown
      Participant

For the record I received a brand new H9 Max (Dark) direct from Eventide yesterday and it also had this issue. Luckily the direct updater method fixed it, but why is Eventide still shipping out new pedals with this issue?

bmagsayo
      Participant
      nickrose wrote:

If you are going in and out mono, make sure you are using input 1 and output 1.

Yup, I’m sure of it.  I even tried input 2 and ouput 2.

bmagsayo
      Participant
      bohan wrote:

If you reinstall the latest firmware using the Direct Updater through USB, it should fix this issue.

The Direct Updater is bundled with the H9 Contorl.

Mac: Click Window -> Open Direct Updater in the menu bar

Windows: You can just search “Direct Updater” in your Start menu of find it in the H9 Control folder

Firmware reinstalled… FIXED!!  I didn’t check all the presets yet but the first 20 or so are all on point.

Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      John335 wrote:

I have that same problem but when I went to update via USB it told me that the H9 could not be updated. I’m wondering if that’s software corruption?

Did you use the Direct Updater? Have you tried using H9 Control for updating?

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      bmagsayo wrote:

My question is why doesn’t Eventide update their product before shipping or amend their instruction manual as the first thing to do upon receiving item.  Too costly?  Write it on a Post-It and slap it inside the box before wrapping her up.  I won’t judge.

Sorry about that. We didn't realize this issue in the beginning. We found this issue about 2 months ago and now we make sure every unit is good when we ship it.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff
      masoncbrown wrote:
      For the record I received a brand new H9 Max (Dark) direct from Eventide yesterday and it also had this issue. Luckily the direct updater method fixed it, but why is Eventide still shipping out new pedals with this issue?

Glad this fixed your issue. To answer your question, the H9 Max Dark units were a limited edition run. We discovered this firmware corruption issue with some units very late in the process, long after we had manufactured, sealed, and shipped units to market. Because it's a simple fix, it didn't make sense to issue a recall or something like that. Also, asking dealers to open sealed boxes just to check didn't make sense.

Enjoy your new unit!

sequence1955
      Participant
      masoncbrown wrote:

I got mine (white edition) yesterday and it’s a rock star.  Software at top level out of the box.  Impressed.  People complain about price but they don’t get value

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.