H9 Max stopped outputting any effects

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 Max stopped outputting any effects

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      SadkenUK

Hi there,

I’ve got 2 H9s – 1 x standard and 1 x Max – both have been running fine, no problem at all…

These 2 pedals + 1 reverb and 1 TC Ditto X2 are all running witihin my effects loop…

However, I am currently finding that the Max is a bit tempramental in that it occasionally stops outputting any effects within my loop – it’s receiving an input signal, and the pedals up / down stream from it work fine, including the other H9 – i’ve taken it out of the chain and isolated it so that it’s the only pedal in the fx loop, but still not working – pedal and all lights seem fine, tried everything i can think of, pedal is not very old at all and have a band session next week which needs both of these working!! : (

Any help or advice would be massively appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

gkellum
      Participant

Do you have any external control sources connected to your Max like MIDI, an expression pedal or aux switch?  And what is the behavior exactly?  When it's active, it's muting the entire signal, but when it's bypassed, the dry signal goes through fine?

SadkenUK
        gkellum wrote:

Do you have any external control sources connected to your Max like MIDI, an expression pedal or aux switch?  And what is the behavior exactly?  When it’s active, it’s muting the entire signal, but when it’s bypassed, the dry signal goes through fine?

No external control sources plugged in to this one, just got a single mono signal in to the first input, and then 2 outputs going from the max in to the standard directly…no midi connections or anything else…

bypassed / active doesn’t make any difference – signal sounds the same; as i say, all other pedals are working fine in that chain, just this one which seems to not be doing anything at the moment AFAIK – are there settings i can try to change on the pedal itself and test different configs that you could suggest?

gkellum
        Participant
        SadkenUK wrote:

bypassed / active doesn't make any difference – signal sounds the same; as i say, all other pedals are working fine in that chain, just this one which seems to not be doing anything at the moment AFAIK – are there settings i can try to change on the pedal itself and test different configs that you could suggest?

So, you're saying that regardless of whether the H9 is active or bypassed makes no difference;  the signal sounds dry regardless of whether it's active or bypassed.  Could you check and make sure that the active LED is going on and off when you toggle between active and bypass?  It would be good to make sure that there's no mechanical problem with that switch.  

And you're experiencing this only with some presets or all presets?  If it's only with some presets, it makes me wonder if you've set up your Max to use Pre/Post for example, and some presets are set to Post which would then pass input 1 to output 1 as a dry signal.  When this happens does changing the preset on the H9 itself make any difference?  It could be helpful to take a screenshot of the currently loaded preset in H9 Control just to see what it's settings are if the problem is specific to particular presets…

SadkenUK
        gkellum wrote:

SadkenUK wrote:

bypassed / active doesn’t make any difference – signal sounds the same; as i say, all other pedals are working fine in that chain, just this one which seems to not be doing anything at the moment AFAIK – are there settings i can try to change on the pedal itself and test different configs that you could suggest?

So, you’re saying that regardless of whether the H9 is active or bypassed makes no difference;  the signal sounds dry regardless of whether it’s active or bypassed.  Could you check and make sure that the active LED is going on and off when you toggle between active and bypass?  It would be good to make sure that there’s no mechanical problem with that switch.  

And you’re experiencing this only with some presets or all presets?  If it’s only with some presets, it makes me wonder if you’ve set up your Max to use Pre/Post for example, and some presets are set to Post which would then pass input 1 to output 1 as a dry signal.  When this happens does changing the preset on the H9 itself make any difference?  It could be helpful to take a screenshot of the currently loaded preset in H9 Control just to see what it’s settings are if the problem is specific to particular presets…

Thanks for the reply – yes, exactly – signal appears dry regardless. LEDs etc are all functioning as expected, shows green when playing etc. Finding the issue with all presets AFAIK from the tests i’ve done. I can try and grab a screenshot later on this evening, but currently the pedal is working again – not changed anything really, just decided to start wokring again as expected…it’s not the first time, and obviously with some upcoming gigs etc i am concerned if it does it again!

Thanks!

gkellum
        Participant
        SadkenUK wrote:

Thanks for the reply – yes, exactly – signal appears dry regardless. LEDs etc are all functioning as expected, shows green when playing etc. Finding the issue with all presets AFAIK from the tests i've done. I can try and grab a screenshot later on this evening, but currently the pedal is working again – not changed anything really, just decided to start wokring again as expected…it's not the first time, and obviously with some upcoming gigs etc i am concerned if it does it again!

What you're describing is really unusual behavior, and sometimes unusual behavior is sometimes due to unusual reasons but sometimes there are usual reasons for unuseable behavior.  Did you update your H9 Max to the v5.2 release?  If so if I were you, I'd reset the H9s system settings by turning it off and turning it on again with the right footswitch and the HotKnob button pressed (the switch in the upper left hand corner of the H9).  Updating to the latest release caused some people some odd problems that clearing the system settings can resolve.  Also, be aware that improperly powering the H9 can cause odd behavior.  So, if you're not using the Eventide power supply, I'd make sure that it's being properly powered.  

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.