H9 MIDI CC values to real values

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 MIDI CC values to real values

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Korhan Erel
      Participant

Hi everyone,

I am working on a new setup where I control my two H9s by MIDI control messages. MIDI CC has a range of 0-127, whereas most H9 algorithm parameters have different ranges and units. I was wondering if there is a table of some sort that matches MIDI CC values to real parameter values. An example: Which MIDI CC value does Pitch Shift +2 correspond to? 

Just to make it as clear as possible, I want to add that I am not talking about MIDI Control Numbers. I know I can assign whatever MIDI CC number to H9 parameters. What I want is for example what MIDI CC value 59 corresponds on the Mix parameter value range of an algorithm.

Thanks

gkellum
      Participant

These mappings are buried in the source code for the algorithms.  Many of them are generated algorithmically, and we don't have them listed anywhere in table form.

Korhan Erel
      Participant

Does H9 send the corresponding MIDI CC values out of its MIDI Out, then? That could make things a bit easier.

gkellum
        Participant
        Korhan Erel wrote:

Does H9 send the corresponding MIDI CC values out of its MIDI Out, then? That could make things a bit easier.

Yes, you can configure it to do this.  If you go into the system settings on the H9 itself, you'll need to set CTL.XMT to On.  It's a setting under the MIDI settings section.  The H9 user manual explains how to get into the H9's system settings on the H9 itself:

http://www.eventideaudio.com/support/product/663/manuals

brock
      Participant
      Korhan Erel wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am working on a new setup where I control my two H9s by MIDI control messages. MIDI CC has a range of 0-127, whereas most H9 algorithm parameters have different ranges and units. I was wondering if there is a table of some sort that matches MIDI CC values to real parameter values …

I like the way that you think.  ‘Snapshot’ MIDI is more forgiving than a barrage of continuous control.

As you’ve stated, the ranges are scaled differently for each algorithm, sub-type, and parameter.  I started mapping out each one in the PitchFactor (which was daunting enough).  But when I Maxed Out my H9’s …

Now, I figure out the CC value equivalents as the need arises.  If it helps, there are a few ‘tools’ that I’ve used to match CC value to parameter position.  Create a DAW or sequencer MIDI file, and run it through the H9.  Write in a CC value from 0 – 127 at every measure.  Start & stop the sequencer at the matched parameter value.

I’ve found it easier now to use a MIDI keyboard switch or encoder with a ‘step’ feature (Novation), or the big ‘Knob’ on a Lexicon MPX-1.  Hook the 2 units up, dial in the values, then jot them down for future reference.

Korhan Erel wrote:
      … An example: Which MIDI CC value does Pitch Shift +2 correspond to? …

Again, it’d be algorithm + sub-type dependent.  For the HarModulator, it’d be CC Value 66 or 67.  For the H910 / H949 Chromatic mode, it would be CC Value 90, 91, or 92.  Other algos or modes will be differing values.

Here’s a link to the posted Diatonic / QuadraVox Key & Scale CC values:  https://www.eventideaudio.com/comment/7167#comment-7167

Korhan Erel wrote:
      … Just to make it as clear as possible, I want to add that I am not talking about MIDI Control Numbers. I know I can assign whatever MIDI CC number to H9 parameters. What I want is for example what MIDI CC value 59 corresponds on the Mix parameter value range of an algorithm …

That would be 30% wet, in the PitchFactor algorithms.  As far as I know, the Mix values stay consistent across the H9 algorithms, but I haven’t checked out every single one.  If you have a specific algorithm parameter in mind, I may already have it ‘mapped’.  Or I can help you to get there.

Some parameters with 1000’s of possible values (like unsync’ed Delay) can’t be nailed exactly by a coarser 0-127 MIDI CC value range.  Pitch Bend supports double-precision accuracy … at least 12-bit, if not 14-bit.

spaceJam

Yes! I was going to make my own table with the exact CC values and range of these, it would make things easier!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.