H9: MIDI Clock vs. “tap clock”

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9: MIDI Clock vs. “tap clock”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      jmargulies
      Participant

I've got my H9 connected to a Disaster Area SMARTClock which can transmit MIDI clock, or it can send analog taps for older pedals.

Clocking the H9 to MIDI works pretty well until I change presets. Then, it doesn't sync to the clock until I start/stop the clock, or change the tempo. 

If I plug the analog tap signal into the Exp jack and configure the H9 to receive tap tempo on the Aux input, it works great…and it also keeps the tempo when changing presets. 

Is this by design? 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

No – it should work the way you think it should.

In what way does it not "sync to the clock" ? What does it do when you change presets ?

jmargulies
      Participant

If its a preset with Tempo On saved with the preset, it's opening at the saved tempo. If it's a non-synced preset, it seems to default to 120BPM when i hit the Tempo On switch. 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Still don't really understand your terms, but I'll try.

By "opening at the saved tempo," do you mean that when you hit the right switch it shows the saved tempo on the display ?

By "non-synced preset," do you mean saved with Tempo off ?

Can I assume that Global Tempo is OFF ?

Assuming the above are true, the behavior is what I would expect – if Global Tempo is off, the tempo will be loaded from the preset with a default value of 120BPM. You can always change the tempo and save the preset – then it will reload with the new value.

jmargulies
      Participant

Maybe I'm using strange terms because I'm using the iOS app? In the iOS app there is a button that toggles between two states "tempo on" and "tempo off" – so the pedal can set times in either BPM or milliseconds.

when i say a "non-synced" preset, I mean a preset with the button set to "tempo off." 

when i say opening at the saved tempo, i am saying that in my experience, if the button is set to "tempo on" and a preset is saved, that tempo will be recalled with the preset. 

this all makes sense to me.

what confused me was that, with the H9 set to sync to MIDI clock, the preset does not sync to the incoming clock until the clock is stopped/started again, or the tempo of the clock is changed.  

the only reason i mentioned the "tempo on/tempo off" state was an assumption that it would not sync to MIDI clock with the button set to "tempo off." 

when sending analog taps instead of MIDI clock, a newly loaded preset always syncs to the taps. 

is this by design? 

hope this is a clearer explanation. thanks!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.