H9 MIDI controller DIY

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 MIDI controller DIY

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 42 reply threads
  • Author
      Poppy
      Participant

Hi Folks, after few days, this is my own MIDI controller thinked for the H9 and my first DIY. My H9 is now very cool and very handy, I'm not a big fan of Menu and hidden buttons so I've done what I needed.

Here is the controler on the right : 

The little test movie :

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAvyKlThUug:550:0%5D

If you want to see the making-off check this

Hope you like it 🙂 !

DGillespie
      Eventide Staff

Sweet man, that looks great!

Dan

madmac
      Participant

WOW!  That is totally amazing.  Brilliant effort!Big Smile

Poppy
      Participant

Thank You madmac 🙂 

Poppy
      Participant

I'm very proud that the Eventide team like my controller :). Your algorythms are fantastics !

holy crap, that is your first DIY, impressive, the graphics too, well done.YesIdea

brock
      Participant

That is an incredible accomplishment.  Professional appearance, practical application, cross-'Factor capabilities, and a creative tool all rolled into one slick unit.  DIY people like yourself keep MIDI from being pushed into obscurity.

Well, Eventide, there's your prototype.  When can we expect the production models of Poppy's ControlFactor to start rolling out?  It worked for power supplies.

Poppy
      Participant

Thanks you everyone. Yesterday I've tried to play with my controler and its very cool to play with the delay for example (auto-oscillation, like with analog delays), and to have access to all parameters. It can be used without H9 control app. The EXP pedal control the Whammy (PitchFlex algo) : The sound is awesome.

Well, my H9 is ready to go on stage with me.

It could be cool that Eventide produce this, I will be so proud :).

pauliusmm

Looks great !

Poppy
      Participant

This is my new custom DIY.

The idea : use a BossFV500H Foot Volume and Expression Volume. Initially, you can't use both because this is the same potentiometer (a double potentiometer) so if the volume is down, the expression is at 0 and if the volume is up, the expression is at max. 

My idea : use a footswitch like on a wahwah pedal to switch volume to expression fonction.

I have add a LED when the Expression mode is engaged. The volume is at max (truebypass of course) when the expression is engaged.

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVRah26PBsg&feature=youtu.be:550:0%5D

If you want to see the step by step customisation : http://www.sweepyto.net/Forum-Guitare/Topic-Guitare.aspx?id=45090

I actually enjoy the PitchFlex 🙂

gkellum
      Participant

Wow!  That's a great idea.  Very versatile!

sneakyybstrd
      Participant

How much will you sell one of those for? I would like to buy one.

Poppy
      Participant

Hi Sneaky. All the pieces of the Midi controller cost approximatively 200 $.

I can make it for 350$ in one Month (because of the part receptions (approx 2 weeks for the Midi controller card)

I live in France.

The shipping cost depends on where you live. From 20 to 60 $

If you want to talk about that : http://www.facebook.com/franckgraziano

marcusm750

Bonjour Poppy,

Excellent work once again on this H9 controller.  Tres bien!

I've been following your updates on the Sweepyo Web site and was wondering how the capacitor bypassing on the potentiometers is working out to tame their jumpiness.  Was there any capacitance added to the sweep (middle) terminal to ground or just between the power and ground connections to the pots (outside terminals)?  Does the cap bypassing seem to be working for the footswitches as well?

Also, you stated in the update that you changed the code to make the pot inputs more sensitive but shouldn't it be the other way to make them less sensitive and thus less jumpy?  Or was this to have the complete rotation of the pots fully expressed in the broadcasted MIDI values?

Merci beaucoup a l'avance pour votre commentaries.

Cheers,
      Mark

Poppy
      Participant

Hi Marcusm and thank your for your interest.

Decoupling capacitor prevent Midi unwanted error (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decoupling_capacitor). They are wired between power and ground.

I thought that I had sensitive problems but in fact, i wrote to the Highly Liquid conceptor and he tell me to add the decoupling capacitor close to each pot. I had to footswitch for prevent (i ve seen some on new Marshall footswitches). I also think that I could have less problem with better pots.

Hope I have been helpfull :).

Per
      Participant

Very nice work!

Poppy
      Participant

Hi everyone!

Here is my second H9 MIDI controler for an american guitar player. Two new options : switch to another MIDI channel (perfect if you have two H9) and disable the pots (handy on stage).

Hope you like it :).

Poppy
      Participant
      PhaseShift
      Participant

WOW!!!!!

this controller is perfect!! its like u read my mind!!

i was also going to ask about multiple H9 connections and ur 2nd DIY just solved it!!

this is an amazing box!!!! i would really like to get my hands on one…

i am not sure if the USB port on the h9 can be used for midi, but would be great if that kind of option could be explored as well.

Great Work!!

KCStratman
      Participant

Poppy, very nice work on a well thought out controller. Will it control up to four H9s with footswitchability between the units? Also, just curious is ET okay with you using their trademarked logo? (not bashing but that is a huge no-no! Even on a one-off prototype.). I hope they do consider producing, or marketing under license, a similar controller. Again, nice work and with just a couple of refinements could be a very viable product.

KCStratman
      Participant

You have probably seen the MIDI controller already being marketed that mimics the layout and function of the Factor series stompboxes. I prefer your design with its additional features. I would respectfully suggest making the MIDI Channel 1-2 switch a 5-way rotary for Omni, Ch 1,2,3,4; and expanding the layout to five footswitches in two rows staggered to mimic H9's two plus three aux switches. (Most important footswitch functions available at all times are probably Bypass, Tuner, Preset Up, Preset Down, Performance/Hotswitch.) I did a concept drawing of a similar controller for ET pedals to use those controller boards a while back and you are very close in design and fully executed, so bravo!

Poppy
      Participant

Thank you very much :). I don't know about the usb/MIDI behavior

Poppy
      Participant

HI KC

It's only a hobby so I only have make two controlers. Eventide never said a thing about this so as it's not in a commercial way (I give all the sources) I suppose it's not problematic ? Is it ?

I was thinking about a footswitchablility unit but the guitarist prefer to do it manually. It can be possible to do this kind of selection. Its only changing MIDI channel. Nevertheless I suppose it need another electronic component because I don't think the MIDI cpu I use can do that (it use jumpers to select MIDI channel)

Poppy
      Participant

Hi again.

I didn't know there were a MIDI controler for H9. Do you have a link, I'd love to compare with mine :).

Your suggest are good. In my case I use the stompbox on my pedalboard so I don't need to have active or tap button. Nevertheless I have customise my volume pedal like a wha wha. when pressed, the volume pedal becames an Expression pedal. Handy for the whammy (pitchflex) preset :). 

Thank you for your message I appreciate.

(Are you french ? ;))

KCStratman
      Participant

Non, je suis Americain de Kansas, mais j'ai etudier le francais a l'ecole. Votre effort est formidable, felicitations! Continuer le travaille dur, et bon chance! Disaster Area Devices markets several semi-custom multi-switch midi controllers intended for ET, Strymon, and other MIDI fx and DAW. http://www.disasterareaamps.com/shop .There is also a rotary knob midi box out with layout like the Factor stompboxes, sorry the info escapes me at the moment. Here is my sketch for a multi-H9 controller:

Poppy
      Participant

Hi guys here is 3 new MIDI controllers.

– One with a Fader (hotknob) and rotary encoder (preset select) and active.

– One with a footswitch to switch between to H9 or control the 2 insame.

– One classic as I’ve done before (one toggle to switch between H9).

Hope you like it :).

Poppy
      Participant

KCStratman
      Participant

Nice work, looks good!

I would still like to see something like this (see attached image) with slider for Exp Pedal control and slider select of Omni/ch1/ch2/ch3/ch4 to select among 4 H9s.

Poppy
      Participant

Hey folks, It is now possible to order it on http://www.evenmidi.com/ Worldwide shipping.

There is now a lot of new features :

• Solo Mode or Dual Mode (to control two H9 units simultaneously or separately)
      • Live Mode : Direct access to 6 presets (program Change footswitches)
      • Standard Mode (Control Change footswitches)
      • Looper Mode (Direct access – Direct Out – REC PLAY STOP EMPTY TAP – Switch to another H9 while playing)

• 10 potentiometers
      • 4 “soft(quiet)” footswitches momentary
      • MIDI IN/OUT/THRU
      • EXPRESSION PEDAL Input TRS + Calibration
      • 2.1mm DC 9V negative center (standard Boss)
      • Channels Midi settings
      • Screenprinted Enclosure
      • Firmware update with miniUSB
      • Saving the last state after turned off

Video Demo : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yum9R9N_1uY   

http://www.evenmidi.com

Per
      Participant

Congrats! Looks nice. Will buy in future!

Poppy
        Participant
        Per wrote:

Congrats! Looks nice. Will buy in future!

Thank you very much Per 🙂 Waiting for your futur order ;).

monkeykite
      Participant

What an amazing idea you have pulled off here, really impressive!

jfcharles

Bravo, c’est vraiment un beau projet, avec une belle attention aux détails. Longue vie à EvenMIDI !

mistercharlie
      Participant

Is it plug and play, or is there a lot of midi setup to do to get it working’?

Poppy
        Participant
        jfcharles wrote:

Bravo, c’est vraiment un beau projet, avec une belle attention aux détails. Longue vie à EvenMIDI !

Merci JF 😉

mistercharlie wrote:
        Is it plug and play, or is there a lot of midi setup to do to get it working’?

When you order the controller you receive the full notice AND the quick settings notice (online version: http://www.evenmidi.com/en/content/6-h9-quick-settings). Honnestly the quick settings can be achieve in less than 2 minutes, by default knobs are already sets on Eventide H9.

camn
      Participant

Hey- Poppy- 

How do your Pots work, in terms of Midi CC messages? 

Absolute? Relative? Latch?

Im trying to get a different controller working, and I am not loving how the knobs interact with the H9… maybe I can steal knowledge from you 🙂

Poppy
      Participant
      madmac wrote:

Thank you mate 😉

camn wrote:

Hey- Poppy- 

Im trying to get a different controller working, and I am not loving how the knobs interact with the H9… maybe I can steal knowledge from you 🙂

Are you searching to use CC as ” catchup ” like the Timefactore feature (but not present in H9) ?

I don’t know the controller you actually use, have you try to write to the manufacturer ?

camn
        Participant
        Poppy wrote:

madmac wrote:

Thank you mate 😉

camn wrote:

Hey- Poppy- 

Are you searching to use CC as ” catchup ” like the Timefactore feature (but not present in H9) ?

I don’t know the controller you actually use, have you try to write to the manufacturer ?

That would be totally awesome.

Im using an Arturia Beatstep- But I am under the impression It can’t do it because I only attach a single MIDI cable. 

Does yours do this? Catchup? Or does it just pickup the absolute position right when you start to turn the knob?

Poppy
        Participant
        camn wrote:

Im using an Arturia Beatstep- But I am under the impression It can’t do it because I only attach a single MIDI cable. 

Does yours do this? Catchup? Or does it just pickup the absolute position right when you start to turn the knob?

You are right : how to catch up a pot if you don’t know its position from H9 ?

The Catchup feature is handled by Timefactor but not H9.

I use absolute position but if one day H9 will be update to do Catchup it will works as Catchup if option is enabled.

Enron
      Participant

The site http://www.evenmidi.com/ does not have a SSL certificate. I would like to buy one, but my order is on hold until the site becomes certified.

Poppy
        Participant
        Enron wrote:

The site http://www.evenmidi.com/ does not have a SSL certificate. I would like to buy one, but my order is on hold until the site becomes certified.

Hello Enron. Payments are exclusively done via Paypal. The website EvenMidi doesn’t handle payment so you don’t have any worries about security.

When you order a new page open at checkout : it is a Paypal SSL page (https://www.paypal.com/). You can pay thank to your paypal account or directly with your credit card. If you have any problem or questions feel free to write me back here or on the evenmidi website ;).

Franck

Poppy
        Participant
        Enron wrote:

Hello I’ve seen with the technician this morning. Now the whole site is secured : https://www.evenmidi.com.

Hope you appreciate. Franck

Leon Todd
      Participant

That’s an amazing accesory! I’d love to see something like this implemented for use with my Axe-Fx.

Poppy
      Participant

Hello guys let me introduce the new EvenMidi H9 Midi controller 2nd Version

In order to meet user demand, I have modified the controller and added a multitude of features to make it the ultimate MIDI controller.

List of new features:

– 2-digit display

– Control of 1 to 4 devices simultaneously or switching from one to the other.

– Scroll presets or use banks behavior (9 banks of 3 presets = 27 presets)

– Pre-configured for working with Eventide pedals (H9-Factors) and Strymon (TimeLine-BigSky-Mobius)

– Can work with any Midi device working with Program change switching

– Customization of the targeted devices (e. g. a whammy or an amplifier) in order to be able to change the preset (via PC), bypass it (via PC or CC) and change its parameters (PitchBend, CC) using the knobs or an expression pedal.

– Customize the 27 presets with the ProgramChange/Bypass/Off/knobs/expression you want for all devices targeted.

– Limit the number of presets to improve comfort on stage

– Pots can be turned on/off 

– Fast scrolling presets when holding down footswiches

– Fast enter/exit to the Looper for the H9/TimeFactor and Timeline devices.

– New enclosure

More informations on http://www.evenmidi.com

All the best and happy new year 2018

Franck from EvenMidi

gkellum
      Participant

Wow, the new version looks awesome!  Great work!

Poppy
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:

Wow, the new version looks awesome!  Great work!

Thank you very much gkellum 🙂

mistercharlie
      Participant

I just added a second H9, and I hooked it up to my first one via MIID. However, when I hit the PSW switch on the EvenMidi controller, it just acts like a regular performance switch.

I was expecting it to toggle between controlling the two different H9 pedals.

What am I doing wrong @poppy?

Poppy
        Participant
        mistercharlie wrote:

I just added a second H9, and I hooked it up to my first one via MIID. However, when I hit the PSW switch on the EvenMidi controller, it just acts like a regular performance switch.

I was expecting it to toggle between controlling the two different H9 pedals.

What am I doing wrong @poppy?

Hello 

You don’t mention the settings of MIDI devices in the EvenMidi. If you use 2 H9 you have to go in the Midi (“Mi”) menu and add a device (H9) on Midi channel 2. If you have only one H9 set (factory default) the PSW footswitch sends CC04 (you can configure your Eventide H9 to do what you want with that (PSW or Tap tempo or Tuner…)) and the Midi Led status turns to blue when PSW is pressed (= midi message sended). Follow the user manual to add this second H9. If you have trouble I can make a video for help :). Regards. Franck

mistercharlie
      Participant

I think I worked it out:

I’m the EvenMidi midi settings, I selected MIDI channel 2, and then selected H9 using the Devices knob. Then I stored the new setting.

Is that right? The PSW Switch now changes devices. The new device is called U4. Can I change it to be U2?

I don’t see any mention of how to do this in the manual.

Poppy
        Participant
        mistercharlie wrote:
        I think I worked it out: I’m the EvenMidi midi settings, I selected MIDI channel 2, and then selected H9 using the Devices knob. Then I stored the new setting. Is that right? The PSW Switch now changes devices. The new device is called U4. Can I change it to be U2? I don’t see any mention of how to do this in the manual.

Ok it’s because you have targeted the 4the device. Do the same thing on 2nd device targeted (knob DelaiTimeB and Depth) then put 4th device off (Fdbck B). Store and you will have the Unit2 instead of Unit4 :).

Franck

mistercharlie
      Participant

Fantastic! Now I understand.

Given To Fly
      Participant

This appears to be a really impressive product! I feel like I could understand and use the H9 MIDI Controller which is the opposite of how most MIDI controllers make me feel. Good job!

Viewing 42 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.