H9 MIDI over bluetooth (iPad) possible?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 MIDI over bluetooth (iPad) possible?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      JCR
      Participant

I love my H9. I'am using the iPad Air to control it with the H9 app by bluetooth. For my music scores I'am using the forScore app which is able to send midi program changes and cc messages and more. If I connect the iPad by a midi interface to the H9 I can control the H9 with the forScore app. But the H9 is also paired by bluetooth. Can the H9 be midi controlled over a bluetooth connection using core midi or midi? I can't get it to work…

Any suggestions or solutions?

gkellum
      Participant

We've had several users ask to be able to choose a CoreMIDI device in H9 Control and send MIDI data from that device to the H9.  That would allow you to control an H9 with the IK Multimedia iRig BlueBoard Bluetooth MIDI Pedalboard for instance.  There's currently no way to do this, but we've been talking about adding this as a feature to a future release of H9 Control.

JCR
      Participant

Thanks for the info. I hope Eventide will implement this feature soon. No more midi cables, only a bluetooth connection to control my H9 would be fantasticBig Smile

cliveluis
      Participant

this is an old post.. is it now possible to do this??

gkellum
        Participant
        cliveluis wrote:

this is an old post.. is it now possible to do this??

Yes, in a sense.  In H9 Control you can select a MIDI port and send it's messages to the H9 over Bluetooth (this is under Settings).  

Some people asked us to have H9 Control create its own virtual MIDI port that could be opened in another app and written to from another app, but we couldn't get this to work well, because it caused other unexpected problems with the Bluetooth connectivity.  So, we don't support this.

zuvvy
      Participant

But really, without being able to run in the background, it’s a pretty limited use case right?  No one is really going to carry around an ipad just to keep H9 open so it can receive midi right?  

Just my 0.02, but if you allowed it to run in the background and allowed it to receive midi and fwd through the output port, it would be a killer use for the pedal.  You could fwd midi changes from one of the many FX/song apps and link it up to the entire rest of the board wirelessly.  (Which I have been looking for for a long time, and I know others have from the forums too – and fits squarely within your target market!)

It seems like it’s pretty much just bugfixes for both (I’ve seen you guys mention that both have been implemented but there were stability issues) – I know it’s not trivial (from having worked on ios apps), but it’s pretty standard these days (blueboard, positive grid’s pedal, bias, really any fx/audio/etc app!) – you’ve got to step up your game!

Really though, there’s a lot of folks skirting around the wireless midi for pedals (where latency really doesn’t matter too much the way it does for audio processing) – you guys could really lock up the market and end up selling a lot of H9’s for the cost of a couple bugfixes! 

(Allowing it to run as a split-screen app would help somewhat as well to dodge the background issues, but reworking the layout to accomodate that is quite a bit of work if it’s not designed that way intially.  And again, the main use case isn’t to always have the H9 up – but I’d still take it!)

zuvvy
      Participant

Any update on what’s not working well with the virtual midi port?  Or even leaving the app running in the background?

zuvvy
      Participant

Bump after a couple years..  Has this been abandoned entirely?  You market opportunity is starting to slip away!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry, it's not been abandoned, it's just not possible.

Before everyone leaps on me, I should point out that there are two kinds of Bluetooth – it's not all the same.

The H9 uses Bluetooth 2.1, sometimes known as "classic." This is commonly used for headphones, and has no general support for MIDI. The H9 does send MIDI over it, but there is no standard for this.

The other kind of Bluetooth is Bluetooth 4.x or 5.x, otherwise known as Bluetooth Low Energy or BTLE, as it is particularly focused on battery powered systems. This does support MIDI, but was introduced after the H9 was developed so is no help to us.

zuvvy
      Participant

Ah.  That’s unfortunate but it at least makes sense. 

So when should we expect the H9 replacement to hit the market with updated bluetooth?! 🙂 

Thanks Nick.  Love what she does even with the meager bluetooth 2.0!

javiceres
      Participant
      gkellum wrote:

We’ve had several users ask to be able to choose a CoreMIDI device in H9 Control and send MIDI data from that device to the H9.  That would allow you to control an H9 with the IK Multimedia iRig BlueBoard Bluetooth MIDI Pedalboard for instance.  There’s currently no way to do this, but we’ve been talking about adding this as a feature to a future release of H9 Control.

It would be a GAME CHANGER feat !!

bohan
      Eventide Staff
      javiceres wrote:

Well, like what gkellum has commented above, it is possible to do this in a sense. In H9 Control you can select a MIDI port and send it's messages to the H9 over Bluetooth (this is under Settings->Connect MIDI Device to Eventide Device).

javiceres
      Participant
      bohan wrote:

javiceres wrote:

Well, like what gkellum has commented above, it is possible to do this in a sense. In H9 Control you can select a MIDI port and send it’s messages to the H9 over Bluetooth (this is under Settings->Connect MIDI Device to Eventide Device).

Thanks for the reply.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.