H9 MIDI Over Bluetooth?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 MIDI Over Bluetooth?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      JCR
      Participant

I have found a new bluetooth option called "MIDI Over Bluetooth". I have this option enabled but the coreMIDI apps on my iPad Air can't see the H9 as a MIDI device. How do yoy set this up so that a coreMIDI app on iOS can control the H9 by MIDI?

gkellum
      Participant

That option actually means something else. It's possible to connect to an H9 via Bluetooth not using H9 Control and send it MIDI messages over Bluetooth. That option turns that functionality on or off. If it's on, then the only thing protecting your H9 from someone else pairing to it and controlling it is your PIN. That's why that option is off by default.

The functionality you're describing — having H9 Control send MIDI from a Core MIDI device to an H9 — is not currently supported, but we are planning on adding that in a future release.

JCR
      Participant

Hmmm, confusing. The functionality for "MIDI Over Bluetooth" you are describing is exactly what I am looking for: Connect the H9 with this option enabled by Bluetooth to my iPad and have the H9 identify itself as a MIDI device so that other MIDI enabled apps can send the H9 MIDI CC messages to select patches and control parameters, without using the H9 Control app. When using the H9 on stage I only use forScore on the iPad. This great app can send MIDI messages to any connected MIDI device when selecting a score. This way I can program what preset to use for each score. But all MIDI enabled apps on the ipad can't see the H9 as a MIDI device! Can you please give me an example how this implemented feature has to be properly used. Maybe than I'll understand how this works…

gkellum
      Participant

Basically, we just need to add a setting screen to H9 Control that will allow you to select a Core MIDI device, have the app read from the MIDI port and write out the data over Bluetooth. As you said, everything else is already there for the H9 to receive MIDI over Bluetooth. It's just one piece that is missing. And as I mentioned in my previous post, we are planning on adding this and it should be in the next release (unless something comes up and we have to do a quick bug fix release in between for some reason).

JCR
      Participant

Great! That's what I call good customer support. Many thanks…

javiceres
      Participant

So, what ever happened to this?

gkellum
        Participant
        javiceres wrote:
        So, what ever happened to this?

Well, we added a settings screen in the app so you can select a MIDI device and send it to the H9.

It turned out to not be possible to have the app itself create a Core MIDI device so that you could send MIDI to the H9 from other apps.  The reason being that H9 Control can't run in the background.  The app connects to the H9 over Bluetooth, and if you try to let an app that uses Bluetooth run in the background, it leads to all kinds of problems.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.