H9 MIDI Problems

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 MIDI Problems

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      dapeegoo
      Participant

Hi guys,

I am having problems using the H9 with the Disaster Area DMC-6D MIDI controller. On my pedalboard, I am running the Disaster Area DMC-6D -> Eventide H9 -> Strymon Timeline -> Strymon BigSky.

The Eventide receives the MIDI program changes fine, but for some reason the BigSky
      doesn't receive the right program change messages from the DMC-6D when the H9 is before it. After hours of troubleshooting, I have found that the
      H9 is mangling the data bytes of the MIDI stream and preventing the full
      messages from reaching the Strymon Timeline and BigSky. The H9 is set on MIDI THRU.

Do you know what is wrong that is preventing my other pedals from receiving the correct MIDI changes? I have attached screenshots of my H9 settings.

gkellum
      Participant

We'll have to do some testing to see if we can reproduce the problem you're having.

dapeegoo
      Participant

Here are my H9 mappings. Please let me know what you find. I've been reading that several other people are having MIDI problems with the H9 when using it with other pedals.

gkellum
      Participant

You could also try setting the MIDI output mode to OUT.  When you load new programs on the H9, that will output program changes.  If you're having the same problems with those messages not being handled correctly, that will tell us something…

gkellum
      Participant

We just tested the MIDI thru ourselves here and aren't seeing any problems with it.  Could you please try the test I described above and let us know the result?

gkellum
      Participant

By the way you don't have a USB cable plugged into the H9 at the same time, b/c that can screw things up…

Alancarl
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:

By the way you don't have a USB cable plugged into the H9 at the same time, b/c that can screw things up…

Hi,
        As I have discovered the H9 will not pass midi on thru if a USB cable/host device is connected.
        I can imagine that midi merge or midi output settings might cause problems with USB hooked up and sending/receiving MIDI…but I do have other devices that do treat the 5 pin din ports separately from the USB route.

Can Eventide at least enable midi thru with USB connected?

Also one huge discovery for me is that my iPad with a USB camera connection kit and a hub will allo me to connect multiple H9’s and switch between devices from the H9 control app!
        With Bluetooth and Apple having enough flakiness and restrictions I am totally thrilled to be able to hardwire this mission critical control application.

Hopefully the midi thru can coexist with th USB connected.
        Thanks,
        Al

dapeegoo
      Participant

I just changed the midi output to "transmit". The dmc-6d now doesnt launch any presets of the timeline and bigsky. Only the h9 works. When Ichange the h9 back to "thru" it still launches the incorrect timeline and bigsky presets. I have to tap the switch on the dmc-6d a couple times before it gets to the right saved preset particularly on the bigsky. Would it be possible for us to do a facetime chat, so I could show you this problem? 

gkellum
      Participant

Right, that is to be expected.  If you set the MIDI output to transmit, the DMC-6D won't be able to send any MIDI data through the H9. What I was wondering about is when you use the preset switch on the H9 to load presets on the H9 directly the H9 will transmit program changes to the Big Sky and should cause the Big Sky to change presets.  Is the Big Sky responding to those preset changes as expected?  When you change parameter values directly on the H9, is the Big Sky responding to those parameter changes as expected?  

Also, we noticed from your screenshots that you seem to be using an iOS device.  Is that iOS device connected to the H9 while you're trying to send MIDI through it?  We need to check how that affects the H9 ourselves, but it could be that it screws up MIDI through just like having a USB cable might.

gkellum
      Participant

By the way I didn't mean to disregard your asking about chatting on facetime…  It would be better to get you in touch with my colleague, Pete, about that b/c he's tested the H9's MIDI functionality inside and out.  He's gone home already, but maybe, you two could chat tomorrow.  

dapeegoo
      Participant

I would love to set up a time to talk to Pete about this.

Here is a video demonstrating the problems I am having.

http://youtu.be/lvMNTuKdzB8

In this example, I am trying to launch 1A on the Disaster Area DMC-6D, which should turn on my "bloom" preset on the BigSky. You'll notice that I have to press it a couple times before it actually initiates it. After hours of troubleshooting, I have realized that the H9 is skewing the MIDI data that is being sent to the Strymon Timeline and BigSky.

dapeegoo
      Participant

Is it possible to set up a meeting with Pete to talk about my MIDI problem? My email is: dapeegoo@gmail.com

hubar1565

Hi there. I was looking this up because I had the same problem with my Space. After messing around with my setup, I was able to get it all to work. I am running a DMC-6D with a Timeline, BigSky, and Space. I had the Space in the middle of the midi chain and it would cause the BigSky (last in the midi chain) to receive incorrect midi change commands sometimes. I put the Space at the end of the midi chain and there are no more problems in that regard. It's still an issue Eventide needs to fix but it can be remedied for the meantime. This did not, however, solve the preset change+volume spike problem that I've had with my Space since I bought it. That is a problem I would LOVE to see fixed in a software update SOON. Hope that helps a little. Eventide, will you be releasing a new software update for the Space soon? It has been a long time!

jaumepedros
      Participant

Hi,

I've Got the same problem when I put in front of GMajor Tc electronics the eventide H9.

The G Major gets no good changes of Rocktron midi Raider.

Ships any update to solve the problem?

Thanks!!!

gkellum
      Participant

jaumepedros:

I've Got the same problem when I put in front of GMajor Tc electronics the eventide H9.

The G Major gets no good changes of Rocktron midi Raider.

Well, for now I'd do what the post before yours suggested.  Connect the H9 after the G Major with MIDI.   The MIDI connection order doesn't matter, and if you've diagnosed the problem correctly, it should solve your problem.

jaumepedros
      Participant

Hello, 

I have proven with new versions to see if they had fixed the problem but still the same. If I plug in the middle keeps crashing. 

They solved this in some future version? 

For now I'll keep connecting it to the end of the midi chain. 

I hope a prestigious brand as soon eventide solve the problem. 

The product is not cheap …. 

Thank you.

jaumepedros
      Participant

Hello, 

I have proven with new versions to see if they had fixed the problem but still the same. If I plug in the middle keeps crashing. 

They solved this in some future version? 

For now I'll keep connecting it to the end of the midi chain. 

I hope a prestigious brand as soon eventide solve the problem. 

The product is not cheap …. 

Thank you.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

As has been mentioned in other posts, you cannot have both USB and DIN MIDI at the same time.

The reason for this is that we only expected USB to be used for updating the unit, and did not expect it to be used in real time.

In fact, it is only due to luck (and driver availability) that the USB supports MIDI at all.

Alancarl
      Participant

Thanks for clarifying this Nick.
      Fwiw the first two p,aces I look to educate myself are in the device itself and the user manual. I don’t recall seeing any mention of not using the USB and midi ports together.

I want to point out again that USB and a hub is a much more useable setup when editing more than 1 H9 at a time.

I tried to tweak a bit at a gig Saturday to use the iPad/Bluetooth route with three H9’s and finally gave up. I also know this is an issue with Apple and the iPad Bluetooth chips etc.

Now I am a huge fan of the H9(I own 4 so far) and the editor application.
      Eventide is way out in front of anybody else in this game!
      The fact remains that in the downsizing and tablet interface for our live audio tools a lot has been made less accessible.
      At some point the tweaks will be all set but so far I’ve spent way more time just getting things to work.
      It’s always something.
      Thanks again
      Al

Alancarl
      Participant

Hi Eventides,
      I understand that USB and midi cannot be used simultaneously with the H9… In my rig I am switching between the two protocols and I have both hooked up and data at times is being sent to both. When I shut off the USB pipe the midi them takes over. Is this potentially problematic having both connected and sending?
      It seems like when the H9 makes its USB connection it shuts the midi din ports off.
      Thanks a lot.
      I really love the H9’s!
      Al

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        alancarl wrote:
        Hi Eventides, I understand that USB and midi cannot be used simultaneously with the H9… In my rig I am switching between the two protocols and I have both hooked up and data at times is being sent to both. When I shut off the USB pipe the midi them takes over. Is this potentially problematic having both connected and sending? It seems like when the H9 makes its USB connection it shuts the midi din ports off. Thanks a lot. I really love the H9's! Al

You can have them both connected – when the USB is removed, the pedal spots that the 5V usb power has gone away, and switches over to DIN. (The USB has priority).

Alancarl
      Participant

Thanks Nick,
      That bit of info is really helpful in nailing down my tweaking setup and then morphing it into my live rig!
      Rock on!
      Al

benvoyons
      Participant

Hi guys,

Well i have the same issue, with midi :

My controller is a Boss ES8

i have a H9, timefactor and a infinity looper from pigtronix.

When the H9 is before one of two pedals (or the two), the midi don’t pass tru it.

When the H9 is after , everything is fine, but  i must use a midi splitter (the infinity has not a midi out/thru output). The settings of the timefactor and the H9 are the same on the H9 control.

Have you any idea for me to solve my issue ?

Thanks anyways

Arnaud

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Make sure that the intermediate units are set to THRU.

And, make sure that you have the latest version (5.3) as it has THRU improvements.

zhigarev

switch H9 midi through mode  to MERGE. should be fine

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • The topic ‘H9 MIDI Problems’ is closed to new replies.