H9 midi problems

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 midi problems

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      xdadex

Hi,

Trying to use an H9 with midi via ableton live. The patch changes seem to work, but it doesnt seem to be clocking properly (I have rcv clock turned on) . also, when I plug in the midi, I keep getting error messages on my iPad and iphone. (Error code sm_exceeded_maximum_attempts).

It's a bummer.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

We really don't recommend that you use the App at the same time as DIN5 MIDI, since the two of them may be trying to control the same things at the same time.Light use is possible, but heavy use may cause confusion, depending on what you are trying to do.

xdadex

ahha, good to know. thanks for the response.

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      … heavy use may cause confusion, depending on what you are trying to do.

I would include competing MIDI clocks in that category.  That stumped me for a second.  TMP:OFF put the rhythm back into rhythmic presets.  I was trying to keep the PF plugged in (to DIN) while programming new presets from H9 Control 1.5.1.  A vain attempt to avoid pulling apart the pedalboard routings.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

MIDI clock illustrates the problem – if it was getting two different clocks, it is not at all clear what it should do.

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      MIDI clock illustrates the problem – if it was getting two different clocks, it is not at all clear what it should do.

I'm seeing what the issue was here – at least with the PitchFactor under H9 Control.  With USB connected – and with or without MIDI DIN input connected – I was getting the Clk In -> On flashing warning.  A sure sign that the PitchFactor was not receiving MIDI Clock from any source.

Somewhat counterintuitively, System Settings -> MIDI -> Clk In -> OFF (or No in the H9 Control) establishes bi-directional (MIDI Clock) communication between the PF and H9 Control.  Under that condition, I've found that the DIN input can stay connected – even with an incoming MIDI Clock – without affecting the link.

That's going to help with compiling a large number of presets that may or may not be sync'ed to tempo.

xdadex

So, I understand — don't use H9 control to work on presets while 'MIDI -> Clk In' is enabled- or just unplug it.  That should fix my problem for now…

but…     why are there competing clocks? where is the 2nd clock coming from?  I just want it to listen to the MIDI clock its receiving from my computer..  is the H9control sending a clock? or…..

brock
      Participant
      Quote:
      why are there competing clocks? where is the 2nd clock coming from?  I just want it to listen to the MIDI clock its receiving from my computer..  is the H9control sending a clock? or…..

Eventide can give you the definitive answers here.  I was my own assumption that an external MIDI Clock in my system [MIDI IN DIN to the PitchFactor] and one from the H9 Control app were "competing".  Any rhythmic preset with Tempo: On just sort of laid there, and Tempo: Off (based off milliseconds) brought the rhythm back.

But I'm not so sure now.  The H9 Control Settings -> MIDI Clock -> Enable MIDI Input Clock seems to refer to an incoming clock to the Stompbox pedal itself (via DIN).  If I set it to Yes, then I lose sync in the presets [USB to H9 Control and MIDI DIN to external clock both connected]. 

But if I set that parameter to No, then it "appears" to allow H9 Control to provide a MIDI Clock to the PF.  At that point, I can change BPM on either the PF or H9 Control, and that change is reflected back & forth.  Bottom line:  I can leave my pedalboard intact, plug in an H9 Control laptop (over USB, and set to No), and program the Pitchfactor in its natural environment.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.