H9 Midi question – bypass, activate, preset + Question on ISW and OSW

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 Midi question – bypass, activate, preset + Question on ISW and OSW

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      gboland

It would be good if someone could post a comprehensive MIDI reference as the manual is poor in this respect.

I have a Keith Macmillian soft step controlling my board.  

On the pedal in RCV.CTL section I set BYP to CC40, ACT to CC48, PR+ to CC41 and PR- to CC42.

Byp and Act seem to work as expected except ACT doesnt load the preset selected by PR+/-.

Questions:

1. Can you tell me exactly how I am to send the CC messages?
      2. Do I send a 127 followed by 0 or just a 127?
      3. Is the answer the same for all the destinations?

ISW and OSW:

1. Are they expecting values from 0-127?
      2. What is the difference between ISW and OSW?
      3. When a preset is loaded what is the default setting?  i.e.  if I have a pedal sending a range from 0-1217 what do I have to end at to be back to original?

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

>> Byp and Act seem to work as expected except ACT doesnt load the preset selected by PR+/-.

It's not supposed to. It just makes the current preset active – the opposite of bypass.

Questions:

1. Can you tell me exactly how I am to send the CC messages?

• Like any other CC.

1. Do I send a 127 followed by 0 or just a 127?

• Like any other CC.- a single value between 0 and 127.

ISW and OSW:

1. Are they expecting values from 0-127?

• Like any other CC.- a single value between 0 and 127.

1. What is the difference between ISW and OSW?

• As described in the manual, ISW is Input Swell, and OSW is Output Swell. The difference is the point at which the level change is applied. An input swell will affect the level of the instrument, while an output swell will affect the overall output level of the effect.

1. When a preset is loaded what is the default setting?  i.e.  if I have a pedal sending a range from 0-1217 what do I have to end at to be back to original?

• I'll get back to you – it changed with different softwares.
      •  

gboland

Thanks – I know I CAN send any cc value, but the documentation does not describe what the pedal is expecting.  I am lookng for what I SHOULD send for each of the Control Destinations.  Its not clear which are binary and which are continous for example.

For example, through experimentation I have discovered that sending 0 to BYP actually ACTIVATES the pedal where sending 127 BYPASSES.  The inverse is true for ACT.  This makes them functionally the same as each other and the TOG destination no?

FIRST Question: if I select a preset by sending a CC 127 to either PR+ or PR- it will blink on the pedal display but not be loaded as expected.  If I send a 127 to ACT the pedal will activate but the preset will not load.  What am I supposed to do to load a preset selected with PR+/-?

SECOND question:  For the ISW control destination, what is the pedal expecting?  Am I merely turning on/off ISW with a 127 or 0,  to be controlled by an EXP pedal, or is the ISW destination the swell controller and take continuos messages 0-127 to control volume?

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        gboland wrote:

Thanks – I know I CAN send any cc value, but the documentation does not describe what the pedal is expecting.  I am lookng for what I SHOULD send for each of the Control Destinations.  Its not clear which are binary and which are continous for example.

For example, through experimentation I have discovered that sending 0 to BYP actually ACTIVATES the pedal where sending 127 BYPASSES.  The inverse is true for ACT.  This makes them functionally the same as each other and the TOG destination no?

A parameter which acts as a switch (such as these) is OFF when you send 63 or below and ON when you send 64 or above.  So, sending 127 to BYP sets it ON, or BYPASSED. Since ACT is the inverse of BYP, it responds as you say.

gboland wrote:

FIRST Question: if I select a preset by sending a CC 127 to either PR+ or PR- it will blink on the pedal display but not be loaded as expected.  If I send a 127 to ACT the pedal will activate but the preset will not load.  What am I supposed to do to load a preset selected with PR+/-?

If you want to load the next or previous preset, you should use NXT or LST as appropriate. (Needs recent software).

gboland wrote:

SECOND question:  For the ISW control destination, what is the pedal expecting?  Am I merely turning on/off ISW with a 127 or 0,  to be controlled by an EXP pedal, or is the ISW destination the swell controller and take continuos messages 0-127 to control volume?

The ISW destination is intended to be used with a continuous controller. Sending it 127 or zero will just turn the sound ON or OFF.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.