H9 midi setup question

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 midi setup question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Jamland

Hello, I just bought a One Control Gecko midi foot switch controller for the H9.

The controller sends midi program changed 0-127.

The H9’s preset programs aparently start at 01, so the H9 is always one program number higher than the Gecko.

What I’d like to do is program the H9s Tuner to 00 and then sync the Gecko and H9 1 to 1.

I can’t figure it out. Does anyone know what to do?

Thank you,

Jamland

OK, so I figured out how to line up the midi program numbers by going into the app on my iPhone and changing the number in the “Program Change receive map”.

But, I’d still like to know if the Tuner in the H9 can be assigned midi programm #00

gkellum
        Participant
        Jamland wrote:

I'd still like to know if the Tuner in the H9 can be assigned midi programm #00

The tuner can be assigned to a MIDI CC but not to a program change.  If you look in H9 Control under Pedal / MIDI Settings / Assign MIDI CC messages to pedal functions, you'll see it there as one of the pedal functions.

Jamland

Thanks. That’s too bad. Maybe if it’s not too much trouble you could have that as an option, to assign the Tuner to program #00, so that an external midi controller can access it.

Jamland

According to this thread…

https://www.eventideaudio.com/community/forum/stompboxes/h9-rcvmap-and-program-change-124-tuner

…PC 124 will put the H9 into tuner mode.

In that thread, Nickrose posted that “This is something that people asked for. It will be documented in the next revision of the User Manual. The slot is unlikely to change.”

He later posted that “the 124 is a default entry in the MIDImap – you can always change it to something else if you need to use this specific PC number.”

This could be interpreted two ways:

1) PC 124 can be assigned to something other than activating tuner mode.

2) Tuner mode can be assigned to other PC numbers.

This is somewhat ambiguous, currently undocumented, and appears to contradict what gkellum is saying.

Could we have some clarification please? It appears there are many of us who would like the ability to activate tuner mode via a user-specified PC number.

Many thanks in advance!

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

The ability to bring up Tuner via a MIDI Program Change has been requested numerous times. It has been implemented in the latest Beta version, but has not yet made it to the User manual. There is a reason these are called Beta.

How it works is that if you select Program 124, you get the Tuner. This goes through the MIDImap, so you can choose what PC (or none) does this. It operates in the same way as BYP, ACT and TOG (see [RCV.MAP] in the UM).

Hi, I have a little question:

apparently I can correclty set the H9 in tuner mode via MIDI PC#124: TUNER label appears in the screen after sending the command.

Bu then t nothing else happens, that is, tuning doesn’t actually engages, until I send a second midi PC#125 (which corresponds to ACTIVATE?).

am I doing something wrong? Is it the correct way to engage the tuner via midi (I mean, with two midi PC messages instead of one)?

NB H9 is in pre/post and I am using an musicomlab MKIV as controller. 

thanks in advance for your help in clearing my doubts out    

gkellum
        Participant
        andreacalvagna wrote:

Bu then t nothing else happens, that is, tuning doesn't actually engages, until I send a second midi PC#125 (which corresponds to ACTIVATE?).

Some manufacturers show MIDI program change numbers starting at 1 while other show them starting at 0. In the H9 they start at 0. So, perhaps, the device you're using starts program change messages at 1, and your 125 corresponds to Eventide's 124?

gkellum wrote:

Some manufacturers show MIDI program change numbers starting at 1 while other show them starting at 0. In the H9 they start at 0. So, perhaps, the device you’re using starts program change messages at 1, and your 125 corresponds to Eventide’s 124?

thanks for your kind reply.

you’re absolutely right. However it seems to be correct to send PC#124, even though the controller actually outputs PC#123, since it brings up the “TUNER” label in the H9.

If I try instead sending PC#125 alone (PC#124 in H9) it just toggles the H9 state from active/bypassed, which is correct according to the default H9 midi map. No tuner. 

However I observed that repeatedly sending just PC#124 (H9’s 123)  causes the H9 to cycle through these four states:

1- just TUNER label displayed but no guitar audio 

2- back to effect sound 

3 – perfectly working tuner 

4- back to effect sound 

and so on…

gkellum
        Participant
        andreacalvagna wrote:

you're absolutely right. However it seems to be correct to send PC#124, even though the controller actually outputs PC#123, since it brings up the "TUNER" label in the H9.

If I try instead sending PC#125 alone (PC#124 in H9) it just toggles the H9 state from active/bypassed, which is correct according to the default H9 midi map. No tuner. 

However I observed that repeatedly sending just PC#124 (H9's 123)  causes the H9 to cycle through these four states:

1- just TUNER label displayed but no guitar audio 

2- back to effect sound 

3 – perfectly working tuner 

4- back to effect sound 

We just looked at the tuner setting in the H9 pgm change map, and you're right.  There is a bug in the latest H9 software release.  The tuner is assigned to MIDI program change 123 (or 124 if you start counting with 1), but it doesn't appear in the program change map.  The assignment above that (124) says "TOG" and toggles between active and bypass, and in the past I had seen that text and thought it meant toggle tuner on and off and overlooked the error.  But actually the tuner just isn't appearing in the list, and there's no option to select the tuner.

We've fixed this in the version of H9 Control we're working on.  That release isn't out yet, but when it comes out, you'll be able to adjust the tuner assignment there.  The new release is going to be v2.5.0.  Hopefully, it will be posted for Mac and Windows tomorrow and for iOS at the start of next week.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.