H9 On and Off via midi?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 On and Off via midi?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      MrT
      Participant

Is it possible to actually engage (and turn off) the H9 via a Midi signal, rather than just changing sounds on my Ground Control Midi Controller? At the moment I have made a dedicated preset with the H9 turned off, and using that as the Off switch when I don't need an effect…

gkellum
      Participant

Yes there are functions to activate and bypass the H9 that can be assigned to MIDI program changes or MIDI CC messages. If you open up H9 Control and click on the Pedal button in the bottom right hand corner of the screen and go to MIDI Settings, look under "Assign MIDI CC messages to pedal functions" and "Program Change receive map".

MrT
      Participant

Great! Thanks for that, I thought there must be a way! Will it assign the effect on the midi channel still as well as activate the pedal? Or is it specifically just either in or off?

gkellum
      Participant

I'm not sure what exactly you're asking.  Do you want to have a single footswitch load a new preset but have it load bypassed instead of active? Do you want one footswitch to activate the pedal and another to change presets?

MrT
      Participant

At the moment I'm using voodoo lab pedal switcher to activate the pedal, then a preset on the Ground Control to get the effect. Would be great if I could activate the H9 and have the effect JUST on the ground control midi foot controller. 

gkellum
      Participant

Alright, so, as I understand it, you want to press on one switch on the Ground Control and have that load and activate a preset on the H9 and enable the H9 in the voodoo lab pedal switcher. You should be able to do that with program change messages. When the H9 receives a program change message, if a preset was saved activated, then it will load it as activated; if the preset was saved as bypassed, it will load it as bypassed.  And as far as I now, the voodoo lab pedal switcher also responds to MIDI program change messages…

If I'm misunderstanding what you want to do, please describe what switches you're pressing on what products and what happens now, and what switches you want to press and what you would like to happen.

MrT
      Participant

Hi gkellum, Thanks for your patience and help with this! Ok, so I am using the Voodoo Lab Pedal Switcher & Commander System, it's great, pedals are off stage and plugged into the pedal switcher. The Commander activates them in any sequence as well as A/B's Amps etc. You can program certain pedals and Amps to activate with one touch of a preset. Thats all good, but I'm using the Ground Control for extra presets from the H9.. BUT the pedal must be activated first (on the Commander) before I hit a preset on the ground control. So lets use this scenario as an example: All pedals are turned off and Im just using the raw Amp sound, I want to hit a H9 preset on the Ground control, but I have to activate the pedal first on the Commander… What I'd like to have the option of doing is going straight to the Ground Control to activate AND load the preset all in just one hit. Same deal with switching it off… at the moment I have loaded a random sound and bypassed the pedal and used that preset for an 'Off' switch, thereby wasting a preset.  

I played around with the midi options today but didn't get far. i thought I assigned say midi cc 50 to 'toggle off and on' but it didn't seem to work when I loaded midi preset 50 into the Ground Control.. I'm probably doing it all wrong! Can you or anyone else shed some light on the midi assigning? The Ground Control is great, you can load any midi number into any preset… 

I'm sure I'll work it out eventually, but any tips would be great! Many thanks 🙂

gkellum
      Participant

Hm… Well, it really comes down to what the Ground Control is going to let you do. I don't know anything about that device, but as I mentioned already, you can bypass an H9 either with a MIDI CC message (whose value is above 64) or with a program change message. You'll have to look into what possibilities the Ground Control will give you.  If you have trouble figuring this out, maybe if you post the same question the H9 Owners Thread on the gearpage, someone there who has a Ground Control may be able to tell you what's worked for them: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1488233&page=32

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.