H9 on iOS: what port is it looking for exactly?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 on iOS: what port is it looking for exactly?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      pinup57
      Participant

Hi, I’m still trying to get H9 control to work over USB midi using my iConnectivity Iconnet4+ interface. H9 perfectly recognises all the midi ports on my iPad, as well as the network sessions (in the ” connect a midi device to a eventide device” tab  they’re all listed and working) But it can’t find the connected stompboxes to be controlled. So what is the H9 control looking for exacltly on a iOS device? I know my question is redundant, but I need to get this to work.

Thank you for your concern

Dirk

gkellum
      Participant

On iOS the app is looking for H9s and Factor pedals that have been connected to the camera connection kit via USB.  iOS recognizes them as MIDI devices, and it makes them available in the MIDI device list with names like H9, PitchFactor, etc.  The app just looks through this list looking for Eventide devices.  This is all explained in H9 Control's manual which you can find under Settings / Help.

That iConnectivity device works differently than the camera connection kit.  It's just a MIDI interface and no information about what is connected to it is given to iOS.  So, the app has no way of knowing what is connected to it.  

We had actually gotten one of those devices into our office a few years ago to look at how they worked, because other users in the past had problems with them.  It was a while ago so I can't remember the exact details of what happened.  But basically, we already looked into these problems a few years ago and apparently weren't able to resolve them.  I think the quickest solution for you would be to use the camera connection kit instead.

pinup57
        Participant

Thanks. I ordered a ACCK. It’ll do, because I can retrieve external clock and midi over the auxiliary midi input in H9 control. This works on my laptop, so I’m fairly confident it’ll work on iOS too.

Weird though that on a desktop (Windows in my case) we are give an option to choose a regular midiport as an alternative if H9Control doesn’t find a H9 device on the USB bus, anddoesn’t do so on iOS.

Thanks again

gkellum
        Participant
        pinup57 wrote:

I can retrieve external clock and midi over the auxiliary midi input in H9 control.

What do you mean by this exactly?  I didn't understand.  Did you mean the MIDI input on the H9 itself?

pinup57
      Participant

No. When I connect my stompboxes over USB to H9Control, the DIN midi is disabled so I can’t use these jacks to sync the boxes to the master midi clock of

my rig, nor can I use my midi footcontroller I use to control certain functionalities. So I use the “Connect a midi device to a H9 device” option (under settings-midi) and assign one of the midi ports available there, and route there master clock and footcontroller to the stombox. Now I get midisync, and external control, while remaining connected to the the H9Control app. I posted this tip in reply to another user’s query a day or so ago.

gkellum
      Participant

Right, I just wanted to make sure you knew that when the DIN midi is disabled when USB is connected.  What you described should work.

pinup57
        Participant
        gkellum wrote:

Right, I just wanted to make sure you knew that when the DIN midi is disabled when USB is connected.  What you described should work.

I can confirm that this works. I can edit the connected stompboxes in H9Control, and simultaneously control and sync them over midi. What I call the “auxilliary midi input”  fortunately is a global H9Control setting, so the incoming clock and midi CC’s are distributed to all the devices, regardless of which one is active. That’s a pretty neat implementation.

Thanks for your concern.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.