H9 on/off lag comes and goes

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 on/off lag comes and goes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      BenVaron
      Participant

Hi guys,

there’s something that’s been driving me crazy with the otherwise fantastic H9. When I switch it on or off, I sometimes (but not always!) get a very annoying short “blackout” in my sound, a few milliseconds of dead air that is very clearly audible, even within a full band mix. And for the life of me I cannot figure out what causes this. Obviously it’s not just a feaure of the effect (or my switching system), since the problem is not there every time. It sounds crazy, but it seems to me that

1) it occurs after I save any changes to a preset 

2) it magically dissappears at some point, usually I notice the problem gone at the next rehearsals or so. And without changing a thing in between!

And then all is good again, until I need to tweak a prest again and save it to the pedal. 

Any idea what could cause this? I’ve gone through all the possible settings via an iPad, tried all the different “kill dry” etc options for the on off position, but nothing makeds a difference. And once the problem starts, it occurs with every preset, whenever I push the H9 off.

I have the H9 in the loop of the amp, and control it via midi (musicom Lab mk III+). 

Any help would be highly appreciated, as I’m going crazy trying to figure out what’s causing this 🙂

Thanks,

Ben

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Sorry (as ever) I don't understand. When you say "switch it off" are you referring to powering it down, or simply hitting the BYPASS/ACTIVE switch ?

If the first, that's the nature of things. If the second, make sure you have DSP BYPASS selected, rather than RELAY BYPASS (relays are slow and do noit have crossfades).

BenVaron
      Participant

Hi Nick,

thanks for answering. Sorry, I meant bypassing / making the pedal active. I have tried all the three different bypass modes (DSP, Relay and DSP FX), but it doesn’t make a difference. Maybe the “dead gap” with the bypass set to Relay is a bit more noticeable, but it’s definitely there with DSp and DSP FX as well. Is there anything else I could try?

Ben

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        BenVaron wrote:

Is there anything else I could try?

Probably not, assuming I understand your problem (see later).

Relay bypass has a dead period of 10-50mS, as the contacts are moving. There is also the risk of a click if there is signal or DC around.

The various DSP bypass modes have a 50mS crossfade to reduce clicks, but you may still get a brief dip in level as the crossfade takes place.

Does the above sound like what you are seeing (if so, it is the nature of things), or is something else going on ?

BenVaron
      Participant

Hey,

ok, so I THINK I’ve found a solution: the H9 needs to be plugged into power after the rest of my rig. No idea why, but for the past three days this has done the trick. And if I make any changes to the presets in the H9, the problem is back (the annoying little gap in sound), and I need to re-power the pedal. Weird, but at least I now know how to fix the probem. I just hope this will continue to work 🙂

-Ben

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.