H9 Output Stops Completely

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 Output Stops Completely

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      ratliffm

My H9 Max will work as expected for a while, and then decide not to output any signal from 1 or 2. It doesn’t go in and out. It stays out, and moving the cable around or recycling the power has no effect. The cables are fine. If I remove the H9 from my setup, everything works correctly.

This problem has occured the last two weekends, at different venues, and I cannot trust it enough to keep in my setup. I used the same configuration both times. I have been unable to duplicte the problem at home with the same configuration.

The first time the problem occured, moving the cable between out 1 and out 2 restored the output signal, but only temporarily. Today, nothing would get it the signal to come back.

I’ve had my H9 since 3/20/2018, and I upgraded the version that same week. The problem didn’t arise until last week.

I did recently start using a MIDI Mongoose foot pedal with the H9. Both anomalies occured with the MIDI pedal connected. Today, I removed the MIDI pedal and recycled power, and the problem did NOT go away.

I am at a total loss. Just making suggestions will not be helpful, unless I can reproduce the problem, which has been futile so far. I’m hoping the information I’ve provided will shed some light.

Any ides?

brock
      Participant

I’m going to take a stab at this one.  See if the MIDI Mongoose is sending CC#32 to the H9.  That message is commonly used for MIDI Bank Select (LSB).  CC#32 is the default MIDI binding for either Input or Output Level.  You can change that to something else in the H9 …  it’s easier in the H9 Control app.  I’m thinking that a CC#32 value of 0 may have persisted through your power recycling, giving you nothing to hear at the output.

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        brock wrote:

I'm going to take a stab at this one.  See if the MIDI Mongoose is sending CC#32 to the H9.  That message is commonly used for MIDI Bank Select (LSB).  CC#32 is the default MIDI binding for either Input or Output Level.  You can change that to something else in the H9 …  it's easier in the H9 Control app.  I'm thinking that a CC#32 value of 0 may have persisted through your power recycling, giving you nothing to hear at the output.

Mr. Brock may be right. To quote the MIDI spec, "Controller numbers 32 through 63 are reserved for optional use as the LSB (Least Significant Byte) when higher resolution is required and correspond to 0 through 31 respectively"

This means that (say) CC32 will be a very minor change to the value of CC0, and will not act as a normal controller.

This is standard MIDI behavior, and cannot be defeated by changing settings on the H9.

ratliffm

Thanks for your prompt reply, Brock.

The MIDI Mongoose is only sending PC signals 1 through 128. But I did unmap the CC #32 and #33 signals on the pedal, just in case.

If the problem would occur when I’m not on stage, I could check the output level with H9 Control. At least then, I would know if it’s hardware or software.

Anyone have any ideas?

camn
      Participant

Have you hooked your MIDI moose up to a monitor to see what it is actually sending? I use MidiOx

My DMC sometimes sends weird messages that I don’t really want or expect.. for reasons of its own.

I would do that next… ideally with all the same cables you use on stage.. and while you have it hooked up- this is gonna sound weird– I would kick the controller around a little bit. Sometimes analog controllers under unusual conditions can convert signals to midi messages in an unpredictable way.  Though most commercial developers debounce everything enough that there are no issues. 

But maybe a wonky cable or something is garbling a message, even so? You can know for sure by checking. 

If you DO see an unexpected message.. it should be trivial to program the H9 to avoid it.

mustafaicil
      Participant

Is the issue solved? Was that related with Midi Mongoose? I am planning to buy one and wanted to get your opinions on it.

ratliffm

I have not reproduced the problem since I unmapped the CC #32 and #33 signals on my H9. My MIDI Mongoose has worked flawlessly.

mustafaicil
        Participant

Thanks. Is it possible to turn off (bypass) H9 using Tech21 Mongoose or is it always a preset on even if you click the same button twice? I guess two things not possible with it is bypass H9 and turn on the tuner.

ratliffm wrote:

I have not reproduced the problem since I unmapped the CC #32 and #33 signals on my H9. My MIDI Mongoose has worked flawlessly.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.