H9 Pitch question

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 Pitch question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      lordradish
      Participant

I posted this with a different heading that didn't really imply I had a question, so forgive me for the repost…I just ordered my H9 Harmonizer. I'm a bass player who wants to use it for a good ambient/looping rig. I know it's going to take a while to go through everything, I was looking at the algorithm chart… one of the things I want to do is to make a simple patch with two harmonies… does anyone know if either of the two pitch algorithms included will do that, or is there a different algorithm that's more in line with what I'm trying to do? 

brock
      Participant

It'll depend on how simple you want the harmonies to be.  The included H910/949 will do 5ths & octaves nicely – up or down.  So will Crystals (but it's a reverse delay).  They both do static, parallel intervals.

If you want intelligent harmonies … 3rds, 4ths, 6ths based on a scale & key … you'll need one of the diatonic algorithms.  Diatonic can produce two harmonized intervals locked to selectable keys and scales.  It also incorporates delay with feedback.  QuadraVox produces 4 scale-constrained harmonies, with a little different method of delay time spacing, and no feedback.

You'll get a free algorithm coupon, so I'd recommend using that on Diatonic for classic, two-guitar harmony lines.  And since you're a bass player, check out the system settings.  Under Utility, the default SOURCE is guitar, but it can be switched to Bass, SynLead, and SynBass.

lordradish
      Participant

That's kind of what I was thinking… I'm wondering, though, if I'm only going to use the coupon for one, wouldn't it make more sense to get the Quadravox, as I'd have more harmonic options? 

Thanks!

brock
      Participant

Again, it will depend on what you intend to use it for.  There are 5-minute demos (per day) of each algo at the store found in the H9 Control app.  You can get a pretty fair idea of what an algorithm can do with a few demo sessions.

If you can live without the delay feedback, then QuadraVox might handle all of your diatonic harmony needs.  It's possible to 'double' your harmonies – say, a 3rd and a 5th on each side – and shift each voice over several milliseconds.  Same Diatonic 2-part harmony; thicker textures.  Or one-note lead lines that produce 5-note chords locked to a scale.  And it can't be beat for cascading arpeggios that can stretch over several octaves.

Diatonic with delay & feedback has its own advantages.  'Only' 2 voices, but the regenerated delays can give the results a finger-picked flavor.  I like to swap harmonies or delay times with the expression pedal; then the repeating delays become even more complex.  Plus, Diatonic has a unique way of configuring the the feedback length that isn't found in any other algorithm.

Full disclosure:  I run a PitchFactor through an H9, so I'll often have one intelligent harmony algorithm running into another.  If you program each algo to 'stay out of the way' of the next set of harmonies, it can result in entire phrases based on simple input, and under precise, fingertip control.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.