H9 – possible tuner bug when combined with midi

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 – possible tuner bug when combined with midi

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      zwolf
      Participant

Hi –

So I use an aux switch to access the tuner and have the H9 set so that audio is bypassed when the tuner is engaged. I also use midi PC to change presets. When the tuner is engaged and audio is bypassed and a midi PC is sent to the H9, it activates the patch and reengages the audio but the display still reads "tuner". This is awkward. It would be ideal if a midi PC sent while in tuner mode changed the patch, but the H9 would stay in tuner mode with the audio bypassed. Then when you hit the "active" footswitch, you'd exit the tuner, engage the audio, and be on the new patch. Does this make sense? Alternately, if you are to make the argument that the new midi PC should trump the tuner state, the H9 display should at least leave the tuner and reflect the new patch. Any thoughts on this?

thanks –

Z

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I would argue that "the new midi PC should trump the tuner state" as otherwise it is a little unclear what is happening. You are entirely right that the display should represent this – I'll list it as a bug.

zwolf
      Participant

You may have a point, but I'll make one last argument for the way I would prefer to have it function: So I use Ableton to send midi PCs and other information to my H9 and various other bits of gear. Imagine I'm playing live and an Ableton sequence is changing patches on my H9 for vs, chs, etc. Suppose my B string slips wildly out of tune in the middle of a song. I hit the aux button to access the H9's tuner and mute my signal while I fix the tuning problem. But during this period where I drop out to tune, the song transitions to a different section and Ableton sends a PC to the H9 to change it to the preset for that section. I wouldn't want the PC to trump the tuner in that circumstance; rather, I'd want to stay muted and on the tuner, then hit the active button and know that I'm going to have the right sound when I'm done tuning.

Probably a pretty esoteric situation, but that's the way I wish it operated.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

This will be fixed in the next version. The unit will exit Tuner mode and load the requested program. I'll argue that your esoteric approach is a little difficult (for us), and might confuse (less sophisticated users).

zwolf
      Participant

Cool. I can work with that :). Thanks for listening.

Mike Miller

Apologies if this has already been covered. Just got my H9 (love it). Any chance of an update that will allow program change to access the tuner?

gkellum
      Participant

Well, you can already use MIDI CC messages to activate the tuner, and generally speaking, we expose a lot more pedal functions to MIDI CC messages than program change messages.  We hadn't been talking about making these accessible via program change, because no one has really been asking for that.  Most people I guess are able to configure their MIDI controllers to send MIDI CCs…

Mike Miller

Thanks for getting back to me.

I use a Tech 21 Midi Mouse for my midi control. It is a very simple controller. I could be wrong but as I understand it, the Midi Mouse only sends program changes and is not able to send CC messages.

I think a lot of people use the Midi Mouse to control Eventide boxes (before I got the H9 I was using it to great effect to control my TImeline) and might appreciate the program change access to the Tuner.

The tuner on the H9 is great and I want to ditch my stand alone tuner. To do that I'd need to make the midi work as I can't picture making the two button push tuner access work on stage without bending over and doing it by hand.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Thank you.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.