H9 Power Issue

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 Power Issue

Tagged: ,

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      LloydEmAll
      Participant

Hi there,

I have an H9 Max that has recently stopped working on two separate occasions. The first time happened at my home, and was fixed when I swapped out the power cable – I thought the problem was solved.  The second happened during rehearsal last night, and did not fix itself when I swapped back to another cable. It did, however, power up just fine when I got home.

I’m powering the H9 using the Voodoo Labs PP3+ using one of the 500mA outputs and a black-to-red cable with the red end in the H9. I have had no power issues with any other pedals (Strymon Nightsky, Volante, and Deco v2; Walrus Mako D1; Empress ZOIA; RJM Overture, Mini Effect Gizmo X, and even doubling the current of both 1000mA outputs to power the MMGT16)

Anything I’m missing here?

Lloyd

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Hi LloydEmAll, I think it’s best you put in a ticket with our support team to make sure they run through all scenarios with you. – support@eventide.com

That said, did you try running the H9 from another outlet on the PP3+? You only mention swapping out cables, but how sure are you that the problem isn’t the outlet on the power supply? Have you tested the H9 by itself using the factory power adapter?

PRSGUY513
      Participant

Sorry, but unless you have spent above $600+ for a multi outlet PSU or built a proper individually transformer winding supplied with all proper filtering, isolation and regulation they can’t be trusted to properly handle many of today’s sophisticated digital devices. Especially if you begin to reach the max total supply current. When troubleshooting customers pedalboard issues with certain devices most the time it’s an issue with improper/insufficient powering. Besides contacting support, I would only use the factory supplied PSU and see how things go. If it fails, then is is very likely something with the pedal.

LloydEmAll
      Participant

joecozzi:

Thanks for the reply! When it wasn’t working, I tried a different outlet (that was working for another pedal) to no avail. I no longer have the factory power supply so I suppose I’ll have to buy one to test it although it’s a bit ridiculous to expect people to use wall bricks on pedalboards?

PRSGUYS513:

The Pedal Power 3+ is the most expensive power supply readily available in Canada, so I’m not sure how you expected that comment to be helpful or what magically overpriced power supply you’re referring to.

PRSGUY513
        Participant

I don’t believe that was all I wrote and it’s not that price is the end all to determining proper supply. Sorry you do not have access to other deceives. If your only going to focus on the thing that got your emotions up then good luck. I have noticed that many of the higher end PSU are no longer in existence since the destruction of small business and complete takeover of Asian mass production in the last couple years. None of that matters because I tried to give a quick understanding of the electrical shortfalls of multi outlet PSU’s. I build my own. You named quite a number of power hungry devices all connected. I would trust the Strymon or Eventide PSU over a Voodoo labs. Bottomline is for most stuff out there I would half the max current handling and go with that. Or better use the suppled PSU when weird issues arise and you don’t have the electrical expertise to troubleshoot properly. Also I believe the H9 uses a center positive connection. Are you making sure you’re adhering to this?

Sorry if you were offended, but I don’t have any other way to approach electrical and electronic issues. It’s a science that has very little wiggle room. Search for some articles about what makes a proper multi outlet PSU. Especially when powering all digital equipment. Also beware commercial rags that are being paid to promote a certain brand.

DauntonHH
      Participant

Even with my Strymon Zuma I use a combined lower lead for the H9 to double the current capability. In a side note I used a triple for the Line 6 HX effects so, as others suggest, these bits of kit are very power hungry.

PRSGUY513
      Participant

Unfortunately seems hard to find…

https://yankee.com.pl/category/power-supply/

HS-M24

jm345
      Participant

I use the Pedal Power 3+with my H9 and it has been fine so far. Most of the PP3+ outlets are 500 mA. The H9 is 9v,200 mA, center pin (-).

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

The H9 is 9v,200 mA, center pin (-)

That is incorrect. The H9 is 9 V, 500 mA, center POSITIVE.

jm345
      Participant

Maybe, but your website H9 FAQ says :

“What are its specs? 9V DC, 200mA, Center Pin (-)

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Interesting. The specs are correct under the GENERAL title, “I have a power brick. Which outlet should I use for H9 and Factor pedals?” but they are incorrect under COMPATIBILITY, “What are its specs?” Thank you for pointing that out. We’ll get it fixed.

LloydEmAll
      Participant

Thanks for the help here, everyone.

Even with my Strymon Zuma I use a combined lower lead for the H9 to double the current capability. In a side note I used a triple for the Line 6 HX effects so, as others suggest, these bits of kit are very power hungry.

I’m going to try this and see how it goes! I’ve ordered the Eventide power supply so if the power cuts out again even with 1000mA, I’ll try it with that and see if it fixes the issue.

PRSGUY513
      Participant

Here’s is the actual PSU that came with my H9Max. The interesting thing is that they spec out an input max current of 200mA. This is also, or should be stating alternating current. Usually input current isn’t a spec always stated and this is rather low. Which leads to some confusion. What this should mean electronically is if there are other loads or the H9 itself on the same line and causing the line load current to exceed 200mA AC then strange things could start happening. Also this input rating is really only applicable to this specific PSU.  The output specs are indeed 9Vdc @ 500mA center pin positive. Anyway I posted just to help clarify. It’s a bit confusing and why ratings and what will work especially when or if daisy chaining can get complicated.

1F160CF2-2F0B-4BBB-8754-C8EEE4B02059

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.