H9 power issues

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 power issues

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      m0ng
      Participant

My h9 have been acting up the past week suddenly. 

When i first power it up, it turns on like usual but after a minute or less, the h9 unit shuts down automatically as if something tripped.

But when i plug out the power cable and plug it back, occasionally the lights will keep blinking and then automatically turn off by itself / tripped and sometimes it wont even power up as well.

i’m using cioks dc10 on 12v with the green flex cable but i have tried with the original power supply, the same problem occur. 

Now, i have contacted Eventide support and they have advised me to try and reset back to factory defaults. did that, didnt work one bit. 

I absolutely have no idea how to go about getting this fixed when i have a gig coming up that require the h9. 

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I'm sorry – it sounds like you have some kind of hardware problem – it will probably have to come for service. If it is still under warranty, I would suggest you send it in immediately.

One thing to check – wiggle the power jack. If that makes it crash, find a friend with a soldering iron.

m0ng
      Participant

i have tried wiggling it around but its still crashing. I have treid updating but before i could even get it synced, the pedal would already crash.

i have absolutely no idea what is happening within the pedal thats causing the problem, maybe something got dislodge along the way ? 

I dont think im under warranty anymore so im not too sure how i can go about sending it back to the states (im from Singapore) 

m0ng
      Participant

Tried the suggestion in the mail of updating the firmware. But before i could get to the actual updating from the direct updater (after downloading) my h9 just turns off and i havent been able to get it to start up again. this is really frustrating and i hope we can get this fixed somehow. 

soundofpop

Thought I would mention this here as well as I’m having a fairly similar issue.  Mine is a brand new H9 max out of the box.  It lit up with power  though I had to try a few times to get it to work. I then updated the software and registered it – played around with it for 30 minutes or so.  Everything worked OK. Then I shut it down.  The next day I went to turn it on and usually get completely nothing at all but on occassion after replugging it in many times to try and get it to work I get the several little red blips on the screen but they don’t even last a second. Have not been able to get any power to it since that first time where it completely powers up.  I have used the adaptor that came with it plugged directly into the wall socket as well as a power bar plugged directly into the wall.  I’m guessing this should be sent back but if you have any other ideas to try first let me know.  Thanks!

gkellum
        Participant
        soundofpop wrote:

Thought I would mention this here as well as I'm having a fairly similar issue.  Mine is a brand new H9 max out of the box.  It lit up with power  though I had to try a few times to get it to work. I then updated the software and registered it – played around with it for 30 minutes or so.  Everything worked OK. Then I shut it down.  The next day I went to turn it on and usually get completely nothing at all but on occassion after replugging it in many times to try and get it to work I get the several little red blips on the screen but they don't even last a second. Have not been able to get any power to it since that first time where it completely powers up.  I have used the adaptor that came with it plugged directly into the wall socket as well as a power bar plugged directly into the wall.  I'm guessing this should be sent back but if you have any other ideas to try first let me know.  Thanks!

Could you please copy and paste this message into an email to support@eventide.com? We may want to send you another power supply, or you may be better off just returning it to the store you bought it from for a replacement. 

sonofrino
      Participant

I have experienced that exact same thing with my H9 Max.  Bought the unit brand new last May.  No problems until yesterday when the unit would not power up at all.  There was no variable in the set up that changed.  Always used the power adapter by Eventide (9v DC at 500mA) that came with the unit plugged into the wall.  The unit just inexplicably became a brick.   Hopefully the problem is with the power adapter and not the unit itself.   I sent an email to Eventide support, but have not heard back.

Alfonz3

I have the exact same problem as the previous poster.  My H9 worked great yesterday.  But today when I went to power up… no flashing lights, Nothing!  Just a brick.   Tried it a number of times in diffferent outlets – no luck.

I’m using the original Eventide power supply in a power strip.  The power supply seems to be working (green LED is lit) and when I tested it with a meter it showed that I’m getting juice at the plug-in tip, but not sure if it’s enough mA for start-up….  

I sent an email to support today and we’ll see if there’s a simple explanation, or if I have to send it in for repair (bought it used on Reverb).  Anyone else reach a successful resolution to this issue?

m0ng
        Participant
        Alfonz3 wrote:

I have the exact same problem as the previous poster.  My H9 worked great yesterday.  But today when I went to power up… no flashing lights, Nothing!  Just a brick.   Tried it a number of times in diffferent outlets – no luck.

I’m using the original Eventide power supply in a power strip.  The power supply seems to be working (green LED is lit) and when I tested it with a meter it showed that I’m getting juice at the plug-in tip, but not sure if it’s enough mA for start-up….  

I sent an email to support today and we’ll see if there’s a simple explanation, or if I have to send it in for repair (bought it used on Reverb).  Anyone else reach a successful resolution to this issue?

hey bud, i couldnt do anythign to fix it , changing power supplies didnt work either. At the end of the day i sent it in to get it repaired (the warranty is only valid for the original user). Got it back after a couple of weeks with it being fixed!  i believe this is the only way to fix this as it is a hardware issue !

nickrose
        Eventide Staff
        m0ng wrote:

i believe this is the only way to fix this as it is a hardware issue !

I'm afraid that you are entirely correct – I looked up our logs and this was a bona-fide hardware fault – probably a failure in one of the PCB connections.

We are very unhappy when this happens, but given the number of H9's out there, and the hard life that some receive, the occasional failure is probably inevitable. If we find a repeated problem, we of course deal with it, but bad things can happen in the best of worlds.

m0ng
      Participant

Well, bad news my h9 just died again after a couple months of getting it fixed

Alfonz3

Just a follow up regarding my H9 which suddenly died last month and required factory repairs: I just received an email from tech service informing me that it has been repaired and, despite the fact that my unit is technically out of warranty (I purchased it used), it will be returned to me with no repair fee due to the nature of the problem. Many thanks to Jerome and everyone at Eventide – you’ve made a friend for life!

pedrohead

Used the pedal for a year and a half, never had a problem. Practiced today before a gig, no problem. Got to the gig… nothing. When I plug it in (the original Eventide power supply that came with the unit), there’s a quick “blip” of red then nothing. I checked the power supply with a DVM and it’s reading fine. 

Sounds like this is something that has to be returned and fixed on site? Anyone have any understanding of what the issue is? 

jsweeney
      Participant

I have an H9 that I was going to add a few more algorythms to. I have had no previous issues with it functioning or syncing properly before (owned it going on roughly four months now maybe less) till today… It could not sync for some reason with the H9 control program and the message said to “power it down  then hold the preset button down while powering it back up” to fix the issue. It has been almost two hours of (doing WHATEVER it’s doing) and no signs of stopping this endless loop of ???. Called EVENTIDE direct to see if this was normal… HA HA HA HA yeah right, good luck getting through that way. My second H9 is literally on the way in the mail from GC (funny huh? my first one takes a dump at JUST the right time) and based on the endless issues i read basically everywhere (including youtube, haters maybe? who knows…) on EVENTIDE products (noisy etc. and and there responce is, “OH WELL, WHEN YOU MAKE THIS MANY, A FEW BAD ONES ARE BOUND TO POP UP” is NOT an acceptable response. i noticed when a previous poster informed them it was out of warranty, they “suddenly got silent”… HMMM…  If a company ESPECIALLY one SELLING HI END EQUIPMENT has KNOW ISSUES with ANYTHING they make,  they should fix it, regardless of warranty to the original purchaser. I plan on sending the second one back before i even open the box and selling the one I have now unless it TOO is bricked. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses…

jsweeney
      Participant

I NOW notice they “post your coments only AFTER they approve it” (read: censor) if my comment does not get posted here, I’ll make a youtube video with the same message that will get PLENTY of views I’m sure so pick your poison… this or that

have a nice day

gkellum
        Participant
        JSweeney wrote:

I NOW notice they "post your coments only AFTER they approve it" (read: censor) if my comment does not get posted here, I'll make a youtube video with the same message that will get PLENTY of views I'm sure so pick your poison… this or that

We don't censor posts, even negative ones.  We do delete spam posts though.

You're obviously upset that you're having trouble with your H9, and that is upsetting.  I wouldn't jump to conclusions that the problem you're having is the same one described on this thread though.  Actually, given your description of what was happening, it was a bit hard to tell what the problem is.  

I don't recall any message in the app asking users to restart their H9 with the Preset switch pressed.  Is your H9 in self test mode now?  Do you see a bunch of messages on the display with the word test in them?  If so, just turn it off and then turn it back on…  That's a mode where the H9 checks itself for problems, but that's not going to help with the particular issue you described…  

If you don't mind, could you create another thread describing the problem you're having if you are still having problems after restarting, b/c this doesn't seem to be a power supply related issue.  My guess is that the app was asking your to restart your H9 with the right footswtich and the HotKnob switch pressed (the one in the upper left hand corner of the H9).  That clears your H9's system settings, which can help with connectivity issues, but that's also fairly instantaneous.  It takes a few seconds…

Stax_911
      Participant

Hi,

Bad news I’ve got exactly the same problem with my H9 Max and it is now out of warranty… 

When I switch it on it flashes with all its light and doesn’t power up. But as we are several to signal this problem it seems there is really a flaw on this aspect on the H9 serie.

What can I do ? My H9 is really the center of my pedalboard and I really need it.

Other info : I am living in Paris France. To send you back this H9 to repair will take time and money. Is it possible to ask to my local pro technician to do the repair with your instructions ?

Thank you for your help.

Stephane

gkellum
        Participant
        Stax_911 wrote:

Bad news I've got exactly the same problem with my H9 Max and it is now out of warranty… 

When I switch it on it flashes with all its light and doesn't power up. But as we are several to signal this problem it seems there is really a flaw on this aspect on the H9 serie.

What can I do ? My H9 is really the center of my pedalboard and I really need it.

Well, there were a few different problems mentioned on this thread, and they're not all related.  What you're describing doesn't necessarily sound like it's related to the power supply, b/c your H9 is flashing with all its lights.

Could you email support@eventide.com about this problem?  I sometimes can recognize what's causing a problem based on the description of the H9's behavior, but I'm not sure about why your H9 would come on  with its lights flashing.  But in any case support@eventide.com could also give you the contact information for our French distributor if you need to send it to someone.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • The topic ‘H9 power issues’ is closed to new replies.