H9 Pre/post noise?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 Pre/post noise?

Tagged: ,

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      lordradish
      Participant

Hey, folks.

I have a pretty big pedalboard, with the H9 right in the middle of it. I use it in pre/post mode. Since I switched to pre/post mode, the H9 puts out a noisy hum that is way too loud, I’ve checked all of my cables, so that’s not the problem. I also went last night and checked every individual pedal, and also checked the H9 in normal mode.. no noise. Anyone else have this problem?

camn
      Participant

I use pre-post and do NOT have that problem.

Hopefully someone has ideas. 

What power supply are you using?

lordradish
        Participant
        camn wrote:

I use pre-post and do NOT have that problem.

Hopefully someone has ideas. 

What power supply are you using?

Using a Voodoo Labs. Have had no probs with it, and again, it’s only doing it in pre/post.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff
      lordradish wrote:

Hey, folks.

I have a pretty big pedalboard, with the H9 right in the middle of it. I use it in pre/post mode. Since I switched to pre/post mode, the H9 puts out a noisy hum that is way too loud, I've checked all of my cables, so that's not the problem. I also went last night and checked every individual pedal, and also checked the H9 in normal mode.. no noise. Anyone else have this problem?

With pre/post it is quite easy to unintentionally set up a feedback loop that might present in this way.

Try disconnecting and reconnecting cables individually to try and see which ones are causing the problem.

lordradish
      Participant

I did this, and did find a bad cable. After replacing it, the hum was quieter, but still there and too loud. Are there other things that could contribute to this?

camn
      Participant

Yeah..I think MOST voodo power supplies are isolated. So that’s probably not it. WHICH power supply is it, do you know?

Though, regardless, if I were you, I would try this:
      Leaving everything in place…just TRY attaching the stock power supply to your h9…then get a long extension cord and plug it in in a different room. On a different circuit.

If this solves your problem, it’s grounding. If not, it’s not!

Side questions…do you have the buzz when you are using patches in both pre AND post modes? Is it the same?

Also, does the input or output volume affect the buzz at all? When you go to tuner, does it mute the buzz?

I don’t have a plan..just looking for ideas.

lordradish
        Participant
        camn wrote:
        Yeah..I think MOST voodo power supplies are isolated. So that’s probably not it. WHICH power supply is it, do you know? Though, regardless, if I were you, I would try this: Leaving everything in place…just TRY attaching the stock power supply to your h9…then get a long extension cord and plug it in in a different room. On a different circuit. If this solves your problem, it’s grounding. If not, it’s not! Side questions…do you have the buzz when you are using patches in both pre AND post modes? Is it the same? Also, does the input or output volume affect the buzz at all? When you go to tuner, does it mute the buzz? I don’t have a plan..just looking for ideas.

It’s a Pedal Power, definitely isolated. When I do the tuner, no difference, still buzzing, no difference pre/post, either. When I went with the stock Eventide ps, the hum was quieter, but still present. Beginning to think I just have some really crappy electricity in my house.

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

Hi lordrad

You are obviously a guy who knows what he is doing.

For this reason you will understand that it is hard  for us to remotely diagnose your problem.

I would suggest that you work on it for a while, but if you get nowhere, send a detailed drawing of your setup to support@eventide.com, marked for my attention.

camn
      Participant

Maybe- is it quiet in other locations? That woud prove that it’s the house.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.