H9 preset increment/decrement over 5din MIDI issue

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 preset increment/decrement over 5din MIDI issue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      deejayreissue
      Participant

Hi there,

I’ve been using my H9 now since the start of the year and absolutely love it!

However, I’m having some serious trouble mapping the preset increment/decrement functions to a custom MIDI controller I have, which has a 5din MIDI connection to the H9.

I primarily use my H9 while DJing, plugged into an Allen & Heath Xone 96. I also use the unit to send a MIDI clock out to my Erica Beats Zen Delay, therefore the tap tempo right foot switch needs to be engaged at all times.

Obviously I can just flick through the presets using the centre wheel, but this can be quite fiddly and isn’t very desirable for the best work flow during a set.

So I have the correct channel and CC notes for my controller buttons entered into the MIDI pedal settings, but the functions simply do not work. The only function that seems to work using one of these buttons, is the ‘Toggle between active and bypass’.

Does anyone have any ideas where I might be going wrong?

Is is possible that the buttons of my controller are simply toggle buttons, rather than how a momentary footswitch works?

I haven’t asked the guy who built it about this just yet.

Here’s a photo of the unit to get an idea of what I’m working with…

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/uYgAAOSwUHpgeVBO/s-l1600.jpg

Thanks for your time,

Lee

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Can you take a screenshot of your mappings in H9 Control? Are you certain the CC#s you are using aren’t conflicting with any other mappings already assigned?

Are you certain your controller is sending out correct MIDI data? Have you analyzed it’s output using a MIDI event editor?

deejayreissue
      Participant

In all my time programming MIDI controllers using Traktor I hadn’t even realised that!!! indecision

So essentially the bypass/active toggle is the only function working, because I’m telling the pedal to turn OFF the bypass, then turn OFF the active, so it’s cancelling itself. Makes sense!

I’ll get this unit back to have the value changed and hopefully we should be all good!

Thanks again,

Lee yes

camn
      Participant

You could probably reprogram it yourself pretty easily if he will send you the sketch.

If shipping is annoying or whatever.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

That's great news! Thanks for reporting back. Now go enjoy making some music.

deejayreissue
      Participant
      joecozzi wrote:
      Can you take a screenshot of your mappings in H9 Control? Are you certain the CC#s you are using aren’t conflicting with any other mappings already assigned? Are you certain your controller is sending out correct MIDI data? Have you analyzed it’s output using a MIDI event editor?

Hi Joe,

I’ll send over a grab of the mappings later tonight, but I’ve tested each of the four buttons and each one will only work on the Toggle active/bypass function, not any of the four Increment/Decrement functions or any of the looper functions for example.

Also, I am 100% certain the controller is sending out correct MIDI data. Channel 1, CC# 15, 25, 35, 45.

I have just heard back from the person who built it, using an Arduino board. They said each button is simply spitting out a value = 1, when pressed.

I’ve just messaged back to ask if the value = 1 is only when the button is held down. Do you think that could be the issue?

Thanks for your time,

Lee

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff
      deejayreissue wrote:
      I have just heard back from the person who built it, using an Arduino board. They said each button is simply spitting out a value = 1, when pressed.

I’ve just messaged back to ask if the value = 1 is only when the button is held down. Do you think that could be the issue?

Bingo, this is the issue. In the MIDI world, when sending a CC#, values from 0-63 are OFF and 64-127 are ON. Reprogram the buttons to send 64 and it will work.

deejayreissue
      Participant
      joecozzi wrote:
      deejayreissue wrote:

Bingo, this is the issue. In the MIDI world, when sending a CC#, values from 0-63 are OFF and 64-127 are ON. Reprogram the buttons to send 64 and it will work.

All fixed and setup correctly, buttons working flawlessly.

Thanks for your help Joe!

deejayreissue
      Participant
      joecozzi wrote:
      deejayreissue wrote:

All fixed and setup correctly, buttons working flawlessly.

Thanks for your help Joe!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.