H9 presets: tuner as default?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 presets: tuner as default?

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      cestlamort
      Participant

I previously made some presets that (unintentionally) defaulted to tuner when switching with a midi pedal. I’m not sure what I did, but I’d like to do the same with a couple other presets (function: kill switch for entire signal chain when playing live; alternate solution would be do make a preset with zero levels, I suppose).

I’m having trouble figuring out how to set this with the H9 control app (new version). Any hints appreciated. Thanks!

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

I previously made some presets that (unintentionally) defaulted to tuner when switching with a midi pedal. I’m not sure what I did, but I’d like to do the same with a couple other presets (function: kill switch for entire signal chain when playing live; alternate solution would be do make a preset with zero levels, I suppose). I’m having trouble figuring out how to set this with the H9 control app (new version). Any hints appreciated. Thanks!

If I understand correctly, you’re looking to put the H9 in tuner mode while at the same time muting the audio, right?

cestlamort
      Participant

Thanks, yes, and have the “default” for preset XYZ be “tuner on”. (We’ll call it preset 15, so that switching from preset 14 (some random reverb) into 15 will then mute signal and go into the tuner mode before the next song starts).

There’s no issue with having the tuner mute everything, but rather having it as “on” when switching to the preset.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

We’ll call it preset 15, so that switching from preset 14 (some random reverb) into 15 will then mute signal and go into the tuner mode before the next song starts). There’s no issue with having the tuner mute everything, but rather having it as “on” when switching to the preset.

There’s only one way of doing this and it involves sending two commands from your MIDI controller. One message to change to Preset 15, another sending a CC# that toggles the pedal into tuner mode. If you want the tuner to mute the audio, this must also be set in the pedal’s System Settings. There’s no way to recall the tuner as a preset.

First thing you have to do is go into H9 Control > Pedal Settings > MIDI Settings > Assign MIDI CC messages to pedal functions > Toggle Tuner > (assign the cc# of your choice in order to put the pedal in tuner mode).

Second, go into Pedal Settings > Tuner > (on the bottom right you’ll see a button that says either “Mute” or “Thru”). If you want the H9 to let your dry signal through while you tune, set it to “Thru.” If you want the H9 to mute all signal while using the tuner, set it to “Mute.”

Now, on your MIDI controller, whenever you press a button to recall preset 15 on the H9, send a MIDI message with the CC# to toggle the tuner along with the program change. This way, the H9 will change to preset 15 and right afterward recall the tuner for you.

Or did I totally miss what you were talking about?

cestlamort
      Participant

Thanks. That sounds right.

I was only confused in that preset 15 (an Ekospacegod one) had defaulted to being a tuner when moving from another preset. I’m not sure whether this was through editing it with an older version of the controller app, some random buttons I’d pushed on the pedal, or something else entirely.

I tried to recreate it (copy that preset to a different slot) with the current app last night at rehearsal but the copied algorithm (to slot 12) didn’t default to a tuner and the original preset 15 no longer defaulted to a tuner once I had opened it in the app (it behaved as all the other presets).

I’m using both a little disaster area midi pedal and a (TRS) three button footswitch — it wouldn’t be an issue (I’ve used the three button switch to toggle the tuner) but I’m now using the three button switch to control the looper.

As a functional solution: I’ll simply create a couple “MUTE EVERYTHING” presets and save them in the spots adjacent to the ones I’m using on the relevant songs. I don’t think my old dmc-2+ midi pedal has the ability to (selectively) send a program change and a control change at the same time.

Thanks for your help and insight. I suppose it was simply a glitch somewhere, albeit one that I found useful.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

I’m using both a little disaster area midi pedal and a (TRS) three button footswitch — it wouldn’t be an issue (I’ve used the three button switch to toggle the tuner) but I’m now using the three button switch to control the looper.

You say you used the 3-button switch to toggle the tuner. Is it possible that one of the buttons of the 3-button switch was simultaneously mapped to switch to the next preset and toggle the tuner at the same time? I just tried it and it works. When I press the button, it goes into tuner mode. If I press it again, it ends up on the next preset.

cestlamort
      Participant

Thanks for your continued help.

To clarify: I previously used the 3 button switch for the tuner. It now is all mapped solely for the looper.

Switching to next higher preset is now all done with the midi switch, and it was only with one preset, so I thought it was determined by the preset rather than a global function.

For example: going from 12->13 = 13. and going from 13->14 = 14. But: 14->15 = tuner active (15 is then active when turning off tuner). Going from 15->16 = 16, 16->17 = 17, etc.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.