H9 Question

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      caliban4

I am thinking of getting the H9 or PitchFactor as each pedal has great effects, but I have one question.  My guitars are tuned down a half step to Eb.  For just those moments when I do not need a harmonizer but just a clean straight sound, can either pedal shift the pitch up a half step to standard pitch without any additional effect?  If so, is there any lag or strange shimmer/flange type artifacts?

Finally, if either pedal can do this, which one would be the preferable one to get?

zwolf
      Participant

Neither pedal is up to this job. The pitch tracking just isn't there to be able to handle such a complex task. I suggest you use a capo. I play in Eb too and that's what I do…

caliban4

I would prefer not to use a capo because it shifts my visual cue focus and positions.  That is one additional hassle I would prefer to do without.  With a pedal I can just use a switch and play as normal.

I am surprised the Eventide does not track as well for this purpose.  Everyone raves about its tracking ability, especially for chords.  I guess it's back to the drawing board….Sad

tritone
      Participant

This reply should be rated as "best, verified and honest answer of the year", even if we absolutely love what the H9 or PF can do to our tones.

zwolf
      Participant

I feel your pain. The band I'm in now is preparing to play shows to support an album we made for which one song was recorded in Eb and my guitar was tuned down a 1/2 step. We decided that the song simply sounded right in that key, so now I have to tune down and use a capo for everything else. It's probably made easier by the fact that I use a capo a lot anyway, but I agree – it's a drag having the dots "off" and can get confusing. Unless you practice enough to get used to it. My friend has a guitar from Line 6 (think it's called the Variax?) that does what you want convincingly, including accessing alternate tunings at the push of a button. But then you're stuck playing a Line 6 guitar…:)

Agreed though, Tritone. While the H9 may have limitations, it's the best thing out there!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.