H9 Ring Mod Sync To Pitch

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 Ring Mod Sync To Pitch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      leoabrahams
      Participant

After much head-scratching I still can't find this function! Has anyone had success engaging it?

Cheers

brock
      Participant

Switch Tempo to On.  The Speed control will quantize (or snap) frequency to note values.  It might be more intuitive if the Speed display changed to the corresponding note values.  But you can use any Note / Frequency Chart (such as this one) to see where you're at.

brock
      Participant

I neglected to add that whether you're in "Sync To Pitch" or not, the Slow/Fast performance switch will give you a nice glide effect down an octave and back again.  With ring mod tremolo effects, it can serve as a switch between two preset rates of modulation.

leoabrahams
      Participant

Ah, thank you for clarifying that. I was under the impression that it had a 'learn/follow' function like the EH Ring Thing or Subdecay Vitruvian.

brock
      Participant

That's an extremely useful feature in the EHX Ring Thing.  It's been feature-requested here before.  The closest that you can get in the current ET algorithm is to set up aux switches, an expression pedal, or MIDI for the base pitches.

Both devices rely on manually keying them in with some tap-dancing.  But it's a single switch auto-detecting the pitch in the EHX.  It seems like the Eventide technology for this is already there in the Diatonic / QuadraVox algorithms.

Bodde
      Participant

I love ring mod sounds. But somehow I have a hard time getting that classic ring mod tone from the H9 like the EHX Frequency Analyzer or the Moogerfooger Ring Mod. Anyone here has some useful presets for the Ring Mod? Especially the old school typical ring mod sounds. But other ring mod sounds are also welcome.

Like in this Mahavishnu piece for example (from 3:00 and on):

leoabrahams
      Participant

Yes, good point – the pitch-detection must be there. The Vitruvian is interesting because it just tracks automatically without being told to 'learn' each pitch. You can get a similar effect by sending one of the outs of the Ring Thing back into the mod input, so maybe that's how the Vitruvian is wired. 

Anyway, hopefully a similar feature will appear in the H9 at some point.

Thanks again for your reply

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.