H9 select and load via MIDI controller

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 select and load via MIDI controller

• This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by joecozzi
    Eventide Staff
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      cestlamort
      Participant

I’ve recently acquired my third H9 (a core to go with a core and a max) and I’m having some trouble with the set up with a Disaster Area DMC-4 (gen2): while by two earlier pedals both select and load a present when scrolling through with the MIDI controller, the new one will switch to the selected preset and turn off (or: turn on the bypass). The other two pedals will switch to the desired preset and automatically activate it.

Increase/decrease and load preset does work via an auxiliary switch (when configured to do so), but not when switching via MIDI.

I’ve been hunting through the various settings pages to see if they’re configured differently, but I can’t come up with a reason why it’s not working on the new (to me) pedal. All with same firmware (5.9.1, iirc. whatever the latest version is).

Program Change menus appear to be identical (PC0 = load preset 1, PC1 = load preset 2, etc).

I’m guessing that there is some setting that I’m overlooking somewhere. This was a 2nd hand pedal, so previous user may have done something under the hood. I saved / copied preset list from pedal 1 to pedal 3 (the new one), but that only copies the presets (and not configuration).

Thanks for any advice!

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

while by two earlier pedals both select and load a present when scrolling through with the MIDI controller, the new one will switch to the selected preset and turn off (or: turn on the bypass). The other two pedals will switch to the desired preset and automatically activate it.

Hello cestlamort,

Since this is a used pedal, it’s possible the previous owner saved presets in bypass mode, which means that when you recall them via MIDI it will call up the preset but in bypass mode. You have two options: 1-Re-save the preset, but activated, or 2, conduct a factory reset of the 3rd pedal by powering on while simultaneously pressing the right ftsw and big encoder – this will erase everything, system settings AND presets, so make sure to back up the pedal if you have custom MIDI settings or preset lists. Try that and see if it works.

cestlamort
      Participant

Thanks for the quick reply. I had loaded the entire preset list from one of my existing pedals (which behaves correctly; presets “on” when switching) onto it, thinking that that (or similar) might be the case.

That said, it may be easiest to simply to do a factory reset (and enter in the relevant midi cc#s for functions). I’ll give it a whirl.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Yeah, give it shot. You also may want to double check the system settings on the DMC-4 to make sure it’s programmed to control the H9. I know it’s necessary to program the DMC-4 to do so for up to 4 devices.

cestlamort
      Participant

Thanks, Joe, a factory reset seems to have done the trick!

(Thanks also for your excellent dot9 tutorials, which have been invaluable for my understanding of the relevant algorithms in the H9).

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Very happy you got things working and I really appreciate the kind words!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.