H9 settings to get a percussion rhythm loops from guitar

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 settings to get a percussion rhythm loops from guitar

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      joegrant413
      Participant

Hello,

I use a looper pedal with my electric guitar, and sometimes start with a muted strum to get a basic rhythm going. 

Any tips on what I should try with the H9 to create a good percussive tone? I’m not asking for the H9 to turn the guitar signal into a bass drum and a snare. But if there is something cool to try that would help in laying down a rhythm loop that would stand apart from the other guitar loops and leads on top… that’d be great.

Thanks,

– Joe

P.S. I’m not so much thinking about the automatic rhythms you can generate from Resonator and other algorithms. Just something that’ll make an interesting thump, pop, or snap from a guitar note.

brock
      Participant

I haven’t been able to upload some preset examples for you (just yet).  But, as a start, most of the modulation algorithms, and a few PitchFactor algos, feature ENV or ADSR control.  Try those first, as they provide many different variations on adding interesting & percussive ‘snaps’ to your attack.  To preserve most of the input signal – while still still emphasizing the attack – I’d use DynaVerb / OmniPressor gates.  More to come …

joegrant413 wrote:

P.S. I’m not so much thinking about the automatic rhythms you can generate from Resonator and other algorithms. Just something that’ll make an interesting thump, pop, or snap from a guitar note.

I get that, but I can’t resist posting this one.  Just for fun.  Expression pedal control raises the base pitches (where modulation begins) , and also approaches runaway FEEDBACK.  Shades of early drum synthesizers.

joegrant413
      Participant

brock, many thanks!

brock
      Participant

Some examples, ranging from the straightforward, to the bizarre.  ‘Percussive’ covers a huge range of possible effects, including those derived by ‘cheating’ to get an envelope shape.  In all of these types of presets, the envelope or trigger SENSITIVITY, and compressor THRESHOLD settings, are going to be mission-critical.  Tweak them in very small increments.  Adapt them to your own playing technique and input levels.

brock
      Participant

brock
      Participant

joegrant413
      Participant

brock, Thanks VERY much! Lots of things to try. I’ll report back on how it goes.

– Joe

joegrant413
      Participant

FWIW, so far I’ve tried and like the Harmodulator an RingMod for drum tones. Prefer using the “Sine” on the RingMod. Still have more to go….

moonbeats

Btw, have u ever used , some e-guitar loops like this , for example for ur FL project.

https://www.lucidsamples.com/rock-samples-packs/164-electric-guitar-ballads-vol-1-download.html

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.