H9 Standard – which pitch alogorithms

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 Standard – which pitch alogorithms

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      jnorris
      Participant

Diatonic is just what you need for intelligent harmonies, but it is monophonic. Pitchflex is great for mimicking the whammy pedal, or transposing a guitar tuned to 440 down to Eb or any amount down to two octaves down. Octaver is just that. H910/H949 is good for that 80s pitch define sound Eddie used on songs like Panama. Synthonizer is monophonic, and I haven’t had much luck with it. It tends to sound jittery and quite unmusical. I haven’t put a lot of time into it, so it’s probably just user error. Not sure about any other

Tim Zurowski
      Participant

I just purchased the H9 Standard and wonder which pitch algorithms to add that will best suit my needs. The H9 Standard comes with the H910 / H949 and Crystals™  and I defnitely want to add a few more algos from the Pitchfactor. First question is can the H910 / H949 actually do harmonies.

I have looked online at every video and demo I can find of the pitch algos from the Pitchfactor, but it still is not clear to me what the pros and cons are for each one. My first need will be for doing guitar harmonies with a 3rd and a 5th (above and below). Second will be doing octaves up and down. Which algo(s) would you guys recommend I try first.

Also, can anyone post a link to a really good demo that clearly shows what each Pitchfactor algorthim can do.

Much appreciated 🙂

Tim Zurowski
      Participant

Okay I will check out Diatonic first. You gotta be joking though?? They charge this much for a stereo pedal and then only make some of the algos in mono!!  That is insane! I sold my Digitech HarmonyMan for this pedal because people told me the Pitchfactor would do a better job of harmonies and I always play in stereo with a pair of old Fender amps. The HarmonyMan split the harmonies so they were in stereo and sounded more like two separate guitar players. I you used three part harmonies the main note was down the middle with the two harmonies split in stereo. I am already disappointed and don’t even have the pedal yet 🙁

What about QuadraVox . . . . . is that in stereo?

wedelich
        Eventide Staff
        Tim Zurowski wrote:

Okay I will check out Diatonic first. You gotta be joking though?? They charge this much for a stereo pedal and then only make some of the algos in mono!!  That is insane! I sold my Digitech HarmonyMan for this pedal because people told me the Pitchfactor would do a better job of harmonies and I always play in stereo with a pair of old Fender amps. The HarmonyMan split the harmonies so they were in stereo and sounded more like two separate guitar players. I you used three part harmonies the main note was down the middle with the two harmonies split in stereo. I am already disappointed and don't even have the pedal yet 🙁

What about QuadraVox . . . . . is that in stereo?

Just to be sure we're on the same page, "monophonic" doesn't refer to mono or single channel, rather it means that the algorithms do their pitchshifting, or pitchtracking to create a synth voice, on monophonic or single note material (as opposed to chords).  Most of the algorithms in Pitchfactor do stereo effects when hooked up in stereo.  The exception is Octaver, which pointed out above, is dual mono.  

Tim Zurowski
        Participant
        wedelich wrote:

Just to be sure we’re on the same page, “monophonic” doesn’t refer to mono or single channel, rather it means that the algorithms do their pitchshifting, or pitchtracking to create a synth voice, on monophonic or single note material (as opposed to chords).  Most of the algorithms in Pitchfactor do stereo effects when hooked up in stereo.  The exception is Octaver, which pointed out above, is dual mono.  

Thanks . . . . got it 🙂 I thought he was referring to mono. I didn’t relate it to Monophonic and polyphonic.

My pedal arrived today and I have downloaded the Control software, updated the firmware and loaded in my coupon algortihm (I chose Diatonic). The harmony tracking is about the same as my HarmonyMan pedal, but I do miss the harmonies being split into stereo. A suggestion for a future update would be to add a pan control for each harmony so that the user could pan as desired and save it in the preset 😉 Another feature the HarmonhMan had that was useful was you could hold down one pedal and hit a note to quickly change the harmony key. This was very useful at gigs. Is there anything ike this in the H9, or do we have to bend down and go into the mix paramters to change the key as needed?

Anyway, I am initally impressed with the quality and depth of this pedal, and will now be spending many hours diving in to learn the depth of it.

gkellum
        Participant
        Tim Zurowski wrote:

Another feature the HarmonhMan had that was useful was you could hold down one pedal and hit a note to quickly change the harmony key. This was very useful at gigs. Is there anything ike this in the H9, or do we have to bend down and go into the mix paramters to change the key as needed?

The PitchFactor's middle footswitch on a lot of the PitchFactor algorithms puts it in learn mode where you can do this.  The H9 only has two footswitches of course, but you can get an aux switch an assign that function to an aux switch.  This middle footswitch is particularly important for PitchFactor algorithms, and as that seems to be what you're most interested in, you should consider that.  The Digitech FSX3 is a reasonably priced 3 button aux switch.  The Barn3 OX9 is also worth checking out (http://www.barn3.com/new-page-1); it sits flush with the H9 and it allows you to plug an expression pedal into it as well.  So, you can either use one switch with an external expression pedal, or you can use both switches without an expression pedal.

Marcel
      Participant

About your Quadravox question:

in H9 Control > Store > H9 > Pitchfactor > Quadrovox > Listen > Demo 3 wet audio

I listened to it with headphones: sounded as beautiful stereo to me.

Given To Fly
      Participant

Diatonic – I guess it works better in Mono. I never really noticed.

Octaver – This is a Dual Mono algorithm and rather different than the name suggests. 

Synthonizer – This is a Mono effect. No one has complained. 

Tim Zurowski
      Participant

Yes, I was aware of optional footswitch units to expand the operation, but I was hoping to avoid more costs just to achieve this. I will look into all the footswitch options as I know there are many more.

Another question for you guys. I need to take the rubber feet off the bottom to put it on my pedal board, but before I try to rip them off, can I assume they are glued on and will easily come off?

gkellum
        Participant
        Tim Zurowski wrote:

Another question for you guys. I need to take the rubber feet off the bottom to put it on my pedal board, but before I try to rip them off, can I assume they are glued on and will easily come off?

Yes, they should come off easily.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.