H9, switch doctor, and a Diezel Paul

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9, switch doctor, and a Diezel Paul

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      marcorocks
      Participant

I moved from a fractal to a Diezel Paul. I was using just the clean channel and gain pedals, but that’s a waste.

I use a switch doctor to do it all. Bank 1 =song one and all the parts in it. The H9 integrates perfectly. But the Paul has midi, but only controls some functions. Can I continue to use the switch doctor to the h9, and the h9 somehow amp the channel changes?

Examples: bank 1 preset 1 would have h9 preset 1 on, 2 would just be channel 3 of the Paul. Skip to bank 5 and I would be on bank 25 of the h9, but maybe just want channel 1 on of the amp.

Or is there another way to integrate channel changes and loops on and off?

I don’t know a lot about midi, but can it be mapped? The Paul’s limited midi compared to a fractal is a joke, but it sounds good.

marcorocks
      Participant

I could imagine similar issues with other new Diezel or even the Mesa triple crown.

camn
      Participant

So, from what I can tell from the manual.. the Paul has pretty straightforward preset-saving to PC channels…SO You should be able to control the Paul either with the H9 PC map, or directly from your Switch Dr. I personally would opt for controlling the Paul with the Switch Dr, and the H9 with the switch Dr.

As far as the detail go, you need to fix the part about you not knowing a lot about MIDI for this to work. All three of these pieces of equipment have extensive MIDI capabilities, and MIDI is not hard to learn. Any attempt at us trying to walk you through it would be foolishness, unless someone has your exact setup. BUT, you can learn what you need to in an afternoon.

Now, if you think you are ready:

I would start with setting the H9 to channel 1, and the Paul to channel 2 (or whatever different channels you want). Then I’d work on creating presets on the Paul, and getting the Switch Dr. to cal them. Once you can do that, everything else should fall into place.

marcorocks
      Participant

I got the Diezel to work via midi midi, but How do I plug in the h9 to also change with the amp? I got my patches all aligned and everything but I can’t seem to figure it out. I’m trying to wrap my head around all of this. The last response help me immensely

marcorocks
      Participant

I think it’s midi out from the amp to midi in on the pedal and midi out from the pedal to midi in on the h9?

I think my dog chewed one of the patch cables, but hoping the new cable will be here today or tomorrow to test

camn
      Participant

So, the switch Dr will control the two devices ~independently~.

It can send changes on any of 16 channels, all on the same cable. MIDI THRU is a feature that a device passes through all the messages to the next device in the chain.

So you chain your devices.
      SwitchDr–>device1–>device2

Tell one device to listen on channel X, the other to listen on channel Y… They should ignore anything not on their channel!

marcorocks
      Participant

Thank you! I figured it out and learned a lot along the way.

Switch doctor midi out to midi in of the h9. H9 thru goes to the amp (I tested it on an older like 6 amp first, lol) and it worked like a charm.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.