H9 Tuner and Midi CC

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 Tuner and Midi CC

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Slidepiece

Hello!

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to using MIDI however I've got my H9 setup along with a Musicomlab EFX MKIII controller and things are working perfectly. I'm able to setup presets and make program changes just fine.

I noticed that the tuner recently became available in the H9 menu and can be accessed via CC message. I was hoping to take advantage of this and boot the tuner pedal from my board. The goal would be to step on a preset on my controller which would be set to the tuner. Any ideas on how I can accomplish that or am I going about this the wrong way?

The closest I could get was to walk through the steps detailed below. However, after I set this up every preset I stepped on that had something to do with the H9 would load and then go straight to the tuner. I was hoping to isolate the tuner loading to just one specific preset.

In H9 control, select "Pedal" in the bottom menu.
      select MIDI Settings > "Assign MIDI CC messages to Pedal functions" > select "Toggle Tuner"
      Then set the MIDI CC of your choice… The one from your controller that you wish to enable the tuner

Thanks for any help!

Links:

http://www.musicomlab.co.kr/pdf/efxmkiii_manual_13e.pdf

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

I'm not familiar with the EFX controller, so you may need to direct your questions to them.

But, as far as the H9 is concerned, look at the UM under:

[RCV.CTL] – Receive Continuous Control Message

You can follow these instructions to go to the Tuner when you send it the appropriate CC message.

As you point out, you can also do this from H9control. Getting the EFX to send this message is beyond my knowledge – my guess is that is where your problem lies.

gkellum
      Participant

It sounds like you've set up your Musicomlab EFX MKIII controller to send out both a program change message and a MIDI CC message when you step on the footswitch which you're trying to use to load the tuner.  You'll have to dive into its settings and get that footswitch to only send out the MIDI CC message and then you should be good.

Slidepiece

Thanks guys, I'll try to dig in deeper tonight and report back.

Slidepiece

I'm waiting on a reply from Musicomlab so hopefully I can get a better understanding of how this unit sends MIDI CC.

So…I dug into this a bit more today and it kind of works but not really.

On the Musicomlab you have a global preset and I'm trying to make that
      one the tuner button. The manual states that you can send a MIDI CC via
      one of the 8 loops or 4 function switches. Since I'm not currently using
      any of the function switches, I went in and setup function switch one
      (FS1) to send the MIDI CC on controller number 100.

On the H9 I went in and setup the toggle tuner to MIDI CC 100 as well.

So now, this it what happens. When I'm on any other preset I can
      step on the global preset and boom…the tuner comes on as expected.

When
      I step on that same preset again to activate the patch I was previously
      on that is where things go sideways. The Musicomlab returns to the
      previous preset but it's still muted and the tuner is still on…I have
      to tap that button two more times to get back to the original preset I
      was on…it's like I get stuck in some sort of loop or cycle where the
      CC message is doing two things versus a simple on off?

Perhaps the normal/reverse (nor/rev) option below is causing problems?

I'm wondering if I need to send another CC message to get back to the same preset I
      was previously in? It's definitely confusing and not working like I had
      imagined.

Is there any reason why the H9 could not have a tuner patch that can be accessed via PC?

Thanks for any help!

Slidepiece

I just realized that it works perfectly as I
      imagined on any preset that includes the H9. For example, if I switch
      between a preset that has the H9 engaged and then hit the global preset
      button, it mutes and the tuner works. I can then step on the same preset button and re-enter the same preset as before.

When I engage a
      preset that does not utilize the H9 the tuner will come up properly. But
      when stepping on that same preset to "exit" the global preset that is
      where the problem lies. The H9 stays in the tuner mode and I have to hit
      the preset a couple more times to get it back to the normal sounding
      preset.

I'm almost there and this sounds
      like I might be on to something.

Slidepiece

So it looks like I found out some more information from other Musicomlab users.

Apparently, to toggle the H9 tuner, you need to send MIDI CC with value of 64 and above.

When you engage the global preset with FS1 on and the CC100 attached to it, the value is 127 (on normal mode).

When you git one of the presets again (P1-P4) the ML send CC100 with
      value of 0 (since you turned off FS1) which is ignored by the H9.

Then, only when you turn F1 again, it send CC100 with 127 value which toggles the tuner off.

Not sure I'm going to be able to setup the tuner with this controller and the H9 how I described and wanted. I'll keep trying other solutions in the meantime.

Also – Is it possible to have an empty preset that can engage the tuner? If I could access the tuner via a PC message that would certainly be a lot easier!

gkellum
      Participant

Slidepiece:

Also – Is it possible to have an empty preset that can engage the tuner? If I could access the tuner via a PC message that would certainly be a lot easier!

No, we have had a handful of users ask for that as a feature, but that's not currently supported.

Slidepiece

I just received a reply from Musicomlab so I'll post this here in case anyone else has a similar situation.

This is Hyungwoo Kim from Musicom Lab.

I think H9 tuner is activated regardless of CC value.

EFX transmit CC value 127 when FS1 is ON and CC value 0 when FS is OFF.

I'm sorry, I think there is no way that EFX can control the tuner of H9

I'd also be up for the hot knob to possibly control the tuner? If ther is any way that we can avoid having to step on two buttons at the same time. Thanks for the replies!

cbellanga

I'm having the same problem. Could someone from Eventide please confirm that the H9 ignores CC values? It would be much easier if I could send a CC value=0 to bypass and 127 to engage the tuner.

Slidepiece

I would still really love to see this feature -seems like the easiest/only way to work the tuner with the most popular pedalboard controllers (musicom lab & disaster area).

gkellum
      Participant

cbellanga:

I'm having the same problem. Could someone from Eventide please confirm that the H9 ignores CC values? It would be much easier if I could send a CC value=0 to bypass and 127 to engage the tuner.

The H9 will toggle the tuner from off to on or from on to off if the CC value is above 64.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.