H9 Undulator problems

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 Undulator problems

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      runecore

Hello—i just bought the Undulator algorithm and i cant seem to get it to work–i have 2 h9’s going through a powered effect loop — i have around 15 other algorithms that ALL work just fine (including 3 other “modfactor” ones — either i get just my guitar clean through it or i get nothing (depending on the “intensity” setting).

please any help would be great i searched the ineternet and apperently i am the only one that has this problem  ; (

TYIA

nickrose
      Eventide Staff

We'll have to wait until our Undulator expert replies.

One thing – are you by any chance running mono and using the wrong inputs and outputs ? If you are running mono (single guitar in) you should plug in to Input 1 (one). Your output should be Output 1 (one) if you are going out mono.

runecore

yes — that is what i am doing

runecore

well i did some more testing and i put that one h9 that has undulator on it in front of the amp instead of going in the loop..and it worked just fine.

i have a vht amp that has both send and return volume knobs for the effects loop—i put the pedal back where i usually have it and tried all different volume levels for the effects loop and still didnt work….so im guessing that the effects loop is either too loud and the algorithm is clipping?

is there a way to ajust the input level for just that algorithm?..because like i said …all the other ones work just fine.

wedelich
        Eventide Staff
        runecore wrote:

well i did some more testing and i put that one h9 that has undulator on it in front of the amp instead of going in the loop..and it worked just fine.

i have a vht amp that has both send and return volume knobs for the effects loop—i put the pedal back where i usually have it and tried all different volume levels for the effects loop and still didnt work….so im guessing that the effects loop is either too loud and the algorithm is clipping?

is there a way to ajust the input level for just that algorithm?..because like i said …all the other ones work just fine.

Slightly confused, when running in the effect loop, is the problem that you don't hear any audio at all from Undulator when you turn the Intensity all the way up?  Or is it that the Undulator algorithm is clipping?  

Also, what is your H9 routing mode (Normal, Pre/Post, Wet/Dry), and are you running with Killdry on? 

I suggest trying some successive-simplest-as-possible setups to rule everything else out.  Start with just your guitar -> H9 running Undulator -> amp.  If that works as expected then move the H9 to the effects loop and try the simple setup of Guitar -> amp with H9 in the effects loop.  

runecore
        wedelich wrote:

runecore wrote:

Slightly confused, when running in the effect loop, is the problem that you don’t hear any audio at all from Undulator when you turn the Intensity all the way up?  Or is it that the Undulator algorithm is clipping?  

Also, what is your H9 routing mode (Normal, Pre/Post, Wet/Dry), and are you running with Killdry on? 

I suggest trying some successive-simplest-as-possible setups to rule everything else out.  Start with just your guitar -> H9 running Undulator -> amp.  If that works as expected then move the H9 to the effects loop and try the simple setup of Guitar -> amp with H9 in the effects loop.  

“either i get just my guitar clean through it or i get nothing (depending on the “intensity” setting).” (when in the effects loop)

“well i did some more testing and i put that one h9 that has undulator on it in front of the amp instead of going in the loop..and it worked just fine.”

routing mode = normal

not running with killdry on.

ive done what you suggested in the quote that you referenced.

runecore

any help with this?

wedelich
      Eventide Staff

Did you also get rid of all other pedals when you tried these scenarios?  Also, is your effects loop parallel or series? 

runecore

yes when in front of the amp..i just had my guitar plugged into it…..—i actually tried both of my h9’s  and it worked both times..but whan i put them back into the effects loop.— it stopped working.   i believe that my loop is a series one..—my amp here—  http://www.vhtamp.com/products/the-special-series/special-44-comboi want to keep boht of my h9’s in the loop..so this algorithm is basically useless to me in a live situation….so im hoping to figure this out somehow so that it works.

thanks for the help btw

wedelich
        Eventide Staff
        runecore wrote:

yes when in front of the amp..i just had my guitar plugged into it…..—i actually tried both of my h9's  and it worked both times..but whan i put them back into the effects loop.— it stopped working.   i believe that my loop is a series one..—my amp here—  http://www.vhtamp.com/products/the-special-series/special-44-comboi want to keep boht of my h9's in the loop..so this algorithm is basically useless to me in a live situation….so im hoping to figure this out somehow so that it works.

thanks for the help btw

Ok, so you tried just a single H9 in front of the amp, and it was fine.  I'm not clear, however, that you tried a single H9 (with on other pedals chained to it at all) in the effects loop of your amp.  If you haven't, remove your other effects and try that for sure.  That will narrow it down to just one H9 running Undulator.  

VHT's website isn't too clear on what type of effects loop the Series 44 uses.  Any easy way to find out is to turn Kill Dry on (in an algorithm that's working for you).  If Kill Dry is on, and you still hear dry signal, it's a parallel loop, otherwise if you don't hear dry signal, it's a series loop.  I'd need to know to make sure we can set up a test here that duplicates what you are experiencing.  

runecore
      The 44 has a series effects loop, the loop circuitry is always active, even when nothing is in the loop.

The effects loop is an integral part of the 44’s design and sound, it’s not an “add on” loop circuit, it actually enhances the 44’s sound, even when nothing is in the loop.

The “default” effects loop settings are with the Send and Return wide open, think of these controls as mid-preamp attenuators — leave them wide open and trim them back when needed. 

On the other hand, you can also get different preamp drive tones by experimenting with the loop Send and Return levels, since these are essentially mid-preamp gain controls. 

The 44 has an all-tube buffered effects loop, it works great with most pedals unless the pedal, etc. has a very low input impedance, this could be the case with your Eventide. 

Try running your Eventide in the 44’s input, or you can try adding a buffer pedal between the 44’s effects Send and the Eventide’s input, that should help if the problem is impedance-related.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.