H9 with boss ES-8; mono/stereo routing

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H9 with boss ES-8; mono/stereo routing

Tagged: 

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

The ES-8 allows me to set set output 1,2, or 1 & 2. Before the H9 I used this to play through only through one amp and switch to both (or the other). I guess the H9 sees that and splits it to stereo, albeit with a diminised signal  compared to both channels running in. Is there any way to achieve this

bohan
      Eventide Staff

Do you have one amp or two? How and why do you switch outputs/amps? Is the H9 between the ES-8 and amp(s)? Please provide more info about your routing.

bohan wrote:

Do you have one amp or two? How and why do you switch outputs/amps? Is the H9 between the ES-8 and amp(s)? Please provide more info about your routing.

Sorry let me be more clear. I have two amps. I’m using a BOSS ES-8 loop switcher that has two outputs. Both outputs used to go directly to the amps. Now they go to the H9, and then to the amps. I think what I’m looking for is to “preserve the stereo image” even when that image is only one side coming through. 

bohan
        Eventide Staff
        MatrixMechanic wrote:

I have two amps. I'm using a BOSS ES-8 loop switcher that has two outputs. Both outputs used to go directly to the amps. Now they go to the H9, and then to the amps. I think what I'm looking for is to "preserve the stereo image" even when that image is only one side coming through. 

If the H9 has a mono input and stereo outputs, it will generate stereo effects; if both of its inputs are connected and only one input has sound, it would apply delay/pitch 1 to the left input and delay/pitch 2 to the right input, so the channel without sound cannot generate stereo image. 

Do you have stereo effects in your ES-8? If yes, it's better to connect ES-8's two outputs to H9's two inputs; if no, you may just connect ES-8's output 1 to H9's input 1, and connect H9's two outputs to two amps, then you have H9's stereo effects.

First off, I do have stereo effects and like I said, the two output of the ES-8 are always connected to the H9. The ES-8 routes the signal to 1,2 or both

bohan wrote:

… if both of its inputs are connected and only one input has sound, it would apply delay/pitch 1 to the left input and delay/pitch 2 to the right input, so the channel without sound cannot generate stereo image. 

This is exactly what I would like but it’s not happening. I’ve tried two methods:

1) Setting output routing to 1 or 2. H9 turns it into stereo.

2) Inserting an ‘open’ loop on the side I want silenced. By open I mean literally open, an unused loop with nothing connected. I used this technique before the H9 to block my incoming guitar signal and play a sampler (‘looper’) on that channel while my signal came through on the other amp. Again, strangely, the H9 turns this into stereo.

I was hoping someone with an ES-8 had done this and would chime in. But on the H9 side, to determine mono/stereo or stereo/stereo, is it looking for 1 or 2 signals, or 1 or 2 physical connections? Do i have to get an actual volume pedal to choke back the signal but still show a connection? I dont use them or own one or I would have tried it. 

Also please note both routing methods above work fine when the H9 is off, so the ES-8 is doing what it’s supposed to do. 

davebrubaker
      Participant

I have 3 H9s in the last three loops of an ES-8. As you know, only loops 7&8 are stereo in an ES-8 (with loop 7 being momo in.) I undertsand that the H9 will turn a mono input into to stereo output. Here’s the question…

Does the H9 detect the mono (or stereo) input based on if a plug is inserted, or if there is an input signal in the channel?

bohan
        Eventide Staff
        davebrubaker wrote:

Does the H9 detect the mono (or stereo) input based on if a plug is inserted, or if there is an input signal in the channel?

Yes, the H9 detects the mono/stereo inputs based on if a plug is inserted.

If you want to run 3 H9's stereo effects, you may just put the third H9 after the output of your ES-8. You may use MIDI to control its on/off and switch presets.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.