Home › Forums › Products › Stompboxes › H9 Y-Cable to use both an Aux switch and Expression pedal
- This topic is empty.
June 27, 2014 at 5:38 pm #111749harmamusicMember
I'm trying to get the H9 working with both an aux switch and an expression pedal.
The issue I have is that the expression pedal doesn't seem to work right when I connect the tip of the y-cable to the expression pedal.
The Y-cable I've soldered is a stereo jack into 2x mono jack. Both share the same mass.
I also built my own tap tempo switch using a momentary switch connected to a mono jack where the tip and mass are connected to the 2 lugs of the momentary switch. The tap tempo switch seems to work ok. I've connected the tap tempo to the ring and mass of the y-cable.
The expression works (it's connected to the tip of the y-cable) but it's travelling incorrectly. Heel position is correct, the toe position is not correct and sets itself to a value of 14 or something.
I'm using a Boss EV-5 and I've replaced the cable with a stereo input jack. I connect the mono jack of the y-cable to the stereo jack of the EV-5.
Might that be the issue causing the problems? Should I wire the EV-5 differently to make it work with the H9?
Any help on wiring the Y-cable and expression pedal jack would be really appreciated!
June 27, 2014 at 6:26 pm #126223nickroseModeratorEventide Staff
First, you need the latest version of H9 software (4.8) – using both switch and pedal did not work in earlier versions.
Then, check UTILS.EXPTIP is set to PEDAL. This is the default.
Connect the pedal between TIP and SLEEVE. This is probably one of your mono jacks.
Connect the switch between RING and SLEEVE. This is probably the other mono jack.
If the pedal is not covering the full range, set UTILS.PDLCAL to ON, wiggle the pedal over its full range a few times, then set it to OFF>.
June 27, 2014 at 10:12 pm #126228harmamusicMember
Thanks for your quick reply. It's still not working correctly.
– I have version 4.8 installed
– The expression pedal goes from 0 to 100 and after half way travels from 100 down to about 12 when moved from heel to toe. Pedal calibration ON and moving the pedal up/down a couple of times doesn't make a difference;
– UTILS. EXPTIP should be set to BOTH to use both Aux and expression pedal? When set to EXP it ignores the aux switch
– I personally built the tap tempo switch and also the stereo output on the EV-5 which it default doesn't have since it has a cable with a stereo jack connected at the end.
– When setting my aux switch to preset+ or bypass it works correctly. This is setting it to ring in my case. When I set the aux switch to Tap tempo on ring it shows the ms value on the display when I tap my aux switch but it doesn't change the tempo after succesive taps. I also noticed a thing that when controlling tap tempo via an aux switch the H9 doesn't seem to send out it's clock?
Some technical questions:
1. The Y-cable is a stereo jack to 2x mono jack right? One mono jack has the sleeve to mass and tip connected, the other has the sleeve to mass and the ring connected.
2. The momentary switch (Aux) in the custom pedal I built has the ring wire and sleeve of the Y-CABLE connected to 2 lugs ot jas. I use a mono input jack on the pedal. Seems ok right? Somehow assigning TAP tempo to the RING doesn't make for a consistent behaviour.
3. The other mono jack (TIP) of the Y-Cable goes into a stereo jack on the EV-5. Notice that the EV-5 inside has the tip, ring and sleeve all wired up to a potentiometer as a normal expression pedal has. So should I change the internal wiring or should I change how the wires of the Y-cable are soldered on the mono jacks?Show More...Show Less...
June 27, 2014 at 10:46 pm #136892nickroseModeratorEventide Staff
The expression pedal goes from 0 to 100
This may be your pedal – if it is a little weak, you can hit it hard during calibration, which sets a limit. Then, later, unless you hit it equally hard, you may not be able to hit the same limit. Try calibrating very gently, and then turning calibration off.
When set to EXP it ignores the aux switch
It will ignore the TIP of the switch, because you have told it you are using this for pedal.
H9 doesn't seem to send out it's clock
Make sure that MIDI.CLK.OUT is ON.
The cable should be as I described earlier.
June 27, 2014 at 11:06 pm #136893harmamusicMember
>>This may be your pedal – if it is a little weak, you can hit it hard during calibration, which sets a limit. Then, later, unless you hit it equally hard, you may not be able to hit the same limit. Try calibrating very gently, and then turning calibration off.<<
The EV-5 used via stereo into the expression pedal in works perfectly.
>>It will ignore the TIP of the switch, because you have told it you are using this for pedal.<<
I get mixed advice now – in the forums I read that it should be set to both, in the control app it mentions both should be used for Y-cables. EXPTIP on the device is the same setting that is in the control app named "Use Exp pedal, Aux switch or both" – IMO this should be set to both.
>>Make sure that MIDI.CLK.OUT is ON.
CLK out is on, I'm using that already to use on of the H9 pedals as a master tempo to send the clock to another H9 and a Mobius.
Where I'm at now:
– I'm positive that my Y-cable works and is created correctly.
– I'm connecting one of the mono cables of the Y-cable into the EV-5 which has a stereo IN. This stereo in of the EV-5 works when connecting it via a stereo cable into the H9 and into my Axe Fx II. Does the H9 detect this correctly? I read that someone had this working with an EB volume pedal which is probably mono. Should I wire the potentiometer in the EV5 differently? It seems to not work correctly now because the EV-5 gets a mono cable.
June 27, 2014 at 11:09 pm #136894gkellumParticipant
When set to EXP it ignores the aux switch
If he's trying to connect an AUX switch and expression pedal simultaneously with a Y cable, shouldn't this be set to Both instead of EXP?
June 27, 2014 at 11:10 pm #136895harmamusicMember
Just tried it again – connecting one of my EV-5 pedals via a stereo cable into the H9, set EXPTIP to EXP
The value I see on the H9 pedal from heel to toe is 0 to 90 with minimum volume of the EV-5 set to off.
June 28, 2014 at 4:49 pm #136896nickroseModeratorEventide Staff
"If he's trying to connect an AUX switch and expression pedal
simultaneously with a Y cable, shouldn't this be set to Both instead of
Indeed. He describes the way it is supposed to work.
June 28, 2014 at 6:17 pm #136900harmamusicMember
It helps if you could let me know which aux switch(es) and expression pedal(s) you've tested this with? I can check how these are wired and conclude what changes I need to make.
Thanks in advance!
June 28, 2014 at 6:39 pm #136903harmamusicMember
Boss EV-5 schematic:
June 28, 2014 at 7:25 pm #136906nickroseModeratorEventide Staff
See my reply in the other thread.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.