H90 and Monophonic Pitch Shifting for human and sax voices

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H90 and Monophonic Pitch Shifting for human and sax voices

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Stax_911
      Participant

H90 looks great for the Polyphonic pitch shifting !

But what about the Monophonic Pitch Shifting ? Is it better than H9´s algos for human voices or saxes/flutes ? Because compared to other pieces of gear the Pitchfactor/H9 pitch algos sounded a bit outdated…

Do you plan to improve H90’s monophonic pitch shifting algos ? For example by importing specialized modules for human voice pitch shifting, as the one  called “UltraShift” which is used in your rack products ?

As saxophone player and singer I would love that more than Polyphonic pitch shifting…

Thank you.

wherman
      Participant
      Eventide Staff

Hey Stax,

Happy to hear you’re excited about the Polyphonic pitch shifting! In regards to your question about the monophonic pitch shifters the answer is that we did improve them but probably not in the way that you’re looking for. We feel confident that we’ve improved the tracking of those monophonic pitch shifters from the H9 versions, but I wouldn’t say we specifically made improvements for how it performs for voice.

I can’t make any promises on timeline but I will say that looking in to the kind of formant preserving pitch shifting that’s needed for a high quality vocal pitch shifter is definitely an area of active interest for our DSP team.

Hope that helps.

~Woody

brock
      Participant

I can only offer anecdotal comments.  Long time user of PitchFactor & H9s, with some A/B algorithm comparisons between the H90 & H9 alongside each other (but not all yet).  Many of the H9 algos have been tweaked; I believe the new SIFT tech has been applied to original H9 pitch algorithms.  I find effects like PitchFlex to be much more usable.  Diatonic & QuadraVox as well.  Then there’s the overall ‘better, cleaner, clearer’ I’m hearing, system-wide (subjectively).

System – Source Type has now been broken into Soprano / Alto / Tenor / Bass, for targeting the tracking / filters / tone controls to your instrument’s range.  Other than synthesized, I have tested any vocal or reed instruments through the H90.  But in theory, why not use the latest & greatest Polyphony algorithm for monophonic input?

The pitch shifting is right up there with the best currently out there.  And the Auto EQ parameter does well in preserving the formant of your instruments.  I haven’t had to adjust it off the default value of 10.   Again, based mainly on single note guitar input (heavily processed upstream, or squeaky clean).  I can’t project those results onto, say, your acoustic flute, though.

Stax_911
      Participant

Thank U Woody and Brock for your answers. Yes that helps.

Good news brock that the H9’s algos have been improved on the H90 (tracking…). But not sure that the Polyphonic pitch shifting technology is really accurate for monophonic instrument, especially for voice and saxes.

I will keep attention to Eventide next moves on that vocal pitch shifting question.

Thank you to the Eventide team for his great work on that new Multi-Fx.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.