H90 basic settup with small amp

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H90 basic settup with small amp

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      cjcampbell2000
      Participant

hi guys so I just wanted to know if there’s any tips or tricks for h90 with a small 30-watt combo 2cm it seems the sound is a bit thinner and loss of bass also all the od pedals I use in the loop also thin out

I don’t want to use 1 side just for eq and it seems there’s no global eq so what can anyone suggest thanks

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Hi cjcampbell2000,

Can you provide more information like the model of amplifier you’re using? What’s size speaker does it use? What kind of overdrive? When you say “in the loop,” are you referring to the H90’s loops or the amplifiers effects loops? Does your amp have an effects loop? The overdrive you’re putting “in the loop,” do you have any effects before it? Overdrives/distortions work best earlier on in the signal flow. Also, they work better when they’re placed before any parallel splits, usually not just on one side of a parallel routing. General guidelines dictate drives should go before any time-based effects like delay or reverb. You can experiment with placement when using modulation and pitch effects; sometimes it may be preferable placing the drives before or after these.

Have you adjusted any of the H90’s I/O operating levels by any chance? Do you have any other pedals before or after your H90? 

It’s true the H90 does not have a global EQ, so the only alternatives for tone shaping will either be other outboard pedals, the H90 algorithms, or the amp’s own tone controls.

cjcampbell2000
      Participant

hi joe. so the amps im using are cornford hurricane, 76 fender deluxe, marshall origin 50 combo and a 72 super reverb. the drives I’ve tried are shins dumbloid, ocd v2, boss angry driver, route 66 and an original ts9

I’m using 1 cable from the guitar to h90 and 1 cable from h90 to the amp input.

I put 1 of the drives into loop 1 of the h90 but have also tried placing them before the h90 [no real difference]. placed before splits in parallel or 1st in the chain.

i am thinking maybe the unit is broken as I power drives with a separate ps, and the original wall wart for h90. when I do this it disconnects from h90 control continuously, but when I use a battery in od pedal no problems. I also have problems with pairing exp pedals and have tried everything to calibrate but it still won’t give me full travel and starts\ends 30 percent from the toe or heel position.

thanks

cjcampbell2000
      Participant

anyone care to chime in.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

I power drives with a separate ps, and the original wall wart for h90. when I do this it disconnects from h90 control continuously, but when I use a battery in od pedal no problems.

Let me see if I understand this correctly. The H90 is powered with supplied factory adapter and you use another power supply for the other pedals, correct?

cjcampbell2000
      Participant

yes correrct

cjcampbell2000
      Participant

however, i only use 1 at a time. it seems to suck the drive away as I have to use more drive

not that I want to be a pain as I absolutely love this unit it really has some incredible things going on

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

What version of the software are you using on the H90? When was the last time you updated? You can check this in the system menu under “about.”

I don’t know why using batteries in the outboard overdrive pedals would affect the behavior of the H90, especially since the H90 is powered by its own adapter. It is true the H90 should not be disconnecting from H90 Control for any reason. Are you on a Mac or PC?

Regarding pedal calibration, always make sure to connect to the expression pedal first, then to the EXP inputs. This way the pedal senses the proper load. In the system menu, under “I/O,” when you go into the calibration mode and Rock the pedal back and forth, you cannot get it to sweep from zero to 100? Are you using a TRS expression pedal with the right cable? Does the expression pedal have a 10K-25K linear potentiometer?

cjcampbell2000
      Participant

hi. yes, the latest version of the software I updated when I received it less than a month ago.

I’m using a 2021 iMac I agree it’s strange to cut out the connection but I’ve tested and retested it a lot of times so it truly is the problem.

I went through the exp pedal setup with brock a few times I used a line 6 first and then went out and got a new ehx exp pedal thinking it would sort problem out. I have both TRS and ts and normal guitar cables and have tried many different combinations to no avail.

so this is wye I’m suspecting it’s faulty

obviously, I’m hooked on h90 and want to stay with the brand so I want to either sort out the problems it has or get Thomann to replace it but I’m scared of how long it will take as I waited 3 months for it to arrive

thanks again

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

If you feel there may be something wrong with it, contact support@eventide.com. They will ask you similar questions, so feel free to link them to this thread in your email.

If you haven’t customized any settings on the pedal, you can try reinstalling the latest software via the H90 Control app and then conducting a factory reset by turning the pedal on while holding the 3 quick knobs. Lastly, you could try using a different USB cable; maybe that’s the issue with the disconnections.

apalazzolo
      Participant

You obviously are already getting expert help from Joe but I have one thought based on my personal experience with the H90.

My H90 Control app is very stable … until it isn’t.  At that point it closes out seemingly randomly once in a while, sometimes often.  I used to think H90 bugs caused this but have learned that this is a sure sign that I need to reboot my computer (after a week or two of leaving it on).  H90 Control runs smoothly when my operating system (Windows) runs smoothly.

Sorry I can’t be of more help.  I know how frustrating technical problems can be.  I hope you can get things sorted out soon.

-Tony

cjcampbell2000
      Participant

hi yes at this point I do feel there’s something wrong. the update I did was to 1.3.0.75, of course, I reinstalled the system software a few times by holding quick knobs and I tried many different cables

I know it sounds a bit mad with the power supply cutting out the computer but I’ve repeated the test many many times. batteries no problems, plugging into ps and the same cutting out. along with my exp pedal woes and the fact this particular unit doesn’t sound as fat as the demos I’ve watched.

seems to all point in the same direction. [of course, I haven’t heard another unit live yet] however I also have a helix a quad, and before that, an fm3 m9 and so have a rough idea of what to expect soundwise especially in bypass mode

thanks again

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Sorry to hear you are still having issues. Have you contacted support yet? That would be the best way to go forward with this. Please email support@eventide.com and link them to this thread.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.