H90 global gain/volume

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H90 global gain/volume

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      kevo888
      Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Is there a way to control gain/volume of H90 globally…or is it only via each program/preset?</p>

gehiere
      Participant

Chiming in on this question. I’m finding that many of the H90 presets are significantly and noticeably louder than unity gain which is discouraging me from using them without making my own adjustments to each one.

For example, program 2 “Clean Ambient” seems to be almost 5dB louder than unity gain (input gain for this program is set to 0.8dB by default but probably needs to be -0.1).

joecozzi
        Eventide Staff

Hi gehiere,

Everyone’s system and use cases are different. How are you connecting the H90? Are you not using it in a guitar scenario? Are you running things at a different impedance?

gehiere
        Participant

Thanks for your reply. I think my setup is fairly conventional: My guitar goes into a Strymon Iridium, then the left and right output from the Iridium is connected to inputs 1 and 2 on the H90. Outputs 1 and 2 from the H90 go to my Audient interface’s D.I. inputs.

As I’ve spent more time with the unit I’ve noticed that some patches are quieter and some are louder, so what I’m noticing is probably how the sound designer intended it to be. A master volume won’t fix that, I think I just have to tweak the patches I like manually.

joecozzi
        Eventide Staff

You’re probably right. Since you’re running the H90 post cab sim and into an audio interface, it may be better to running the I/O at line level instead of instrument level. Experiment with both to see what works best.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Hi kevo888,

Yes, you may assign an external controller to “P In Gain” or “P Out Gain” of all Programs in the Systems Settings > Global > Global-Pedal Ctl

dermotwatson
      Participant

HI, coming in on this…having spent some more time with the H90, it feels unlikely to me that the disparity in gain/volume is a design feature. It feels more like a bug to me.

jm345
      Participant

I also have noticed a large difference in output volume with some of the presets.

ear5555
      Participant

My experience has been the same. The volume levels of the factory presets are all over the map.

allenh
      Participant

I’ve been experiencing this problem and it seems to relate (at least partly) to the mix control.

For example on preset 1 ambient delay if you turn the program mix down as you approach 50 the level increases dramatically and then as you go down to zero it returns to unity. I understand that the designer has an issue as the mix changes the levels need to be managed, but either they have got the algorithm for volume/mix wrong or it is interacting with the volume/mix of each individual preset in the program in a negative way.

The problem is so bad for me that I get a little distortion on the digital delay at times.

sellersg
      Participant

Any fix for this?  I’ve definitely noticed a huge difference in volume from one preset to the next.  I’m just running it directly into a fender deluxe.

joecozzi
        Eventide Staff

Yes, it’s true, there are some inconsistencies between programs and it may stem from the variety of sound designers that worked on H90. However, all Program/Presets can be easily adjusted to work with your setup. You just have to decide what method works best – adjusting Program output gain, preset gains or both, depending on the effects routing.

sellersg
      Participant

Ok thank you!

honeybrew
      Participant

Yes, it’s true, there are some inconsistencies between programs and it may stem from the variety of sound designers that worked on H90. However, all Program/Presets can be easily adjusted to work with your setup. You just have to decide what method works best – adjusting Program output gain, preset gains or both, depending on the effects routing.

I think would be best to level up all the presets by factory, so users don’t have to spend time on fixing this or risking equipment or hearing damage due to unexpected overloads.

njdelyster
      Participant

I think would be best to level up all the presets by factory, so users don’t have to spend time on fixing this or risking equipment or hearing damage due to unexpected overloads.

Yes agree! It makes a lot of sense for factory levels to be matched vs expecting users to navigate the unit and make all the edits. This will also make ‘resets’ much more friendly so levels don’t go out of whack again.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.