H90 Inserts – I’m Using [Fill In The Blanks]

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H90 Inserts – I’m Using [Fill In The Blanks]

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      brock
      Participant

It might be interesting to see what everyone is using (or plans to use) with their H90 Inserts.  Spawn & share some ideas. The sky’s the limit with the H90.  It could be your favorite analog(ue) dirt, or some pedal you can’t live without (or duplicate internally).  Your trusty ol’ H9 is a great choice.

As for me, I must’ve tried just about everything in the toolkit.  Option paralysis.  I really want to incorporate the DSI Evolver Desktop: External stereo input processing & triggers, analog filters, distortion / hacks, sequencer, bootstrap MIDI control source.  It will have to stay home: it is simply too big, with unwieldy onboard programming.

Something to be said for two mono inserts, as well.  I lost days on an EHX SuperEgo+ and Eventide Rose combination.  I guess there’s no law against treating each insert as its own effect chain.  But I’ve been spoiled by using multiple H9s as parallel effects.

My leading contender is Poly Effects Beebo.  It just does too damn much to ignore; fully integrated with the H90.  I imagine an Empress Zoia would fill a similar role.  Now, what to do with that lonely RJM Mini Line Mixer mounted under the pedalboard …?

coirbidh_99
      Participant

My plan is to eventually have my Glou-Glou Loupé in the stereo loop, once I acquire some non-right-angle patch cables.

brock
      Participant

Yeah, it gets kind of tight in there when you’re fully loaded.  And you have to account for the added length on the straights.  Right angle on EXP/CTL 1, that’s about it.  I had a pile of EBS insert cables here (STR TRS to 2 R/A TS).  KIND OF works for the Beebo patching.  Messy squeeze of hybrid of straight & right angle.

Excellent choice.  Add a myriad of new effects to the H90 arsenal, with a looper focus.  I looked into the Loupé some; amazing design.  Along those lines, I did try an Infinity (1) in the slots.  Also H9s; leaning in to its Looper & ‘micro-looping’ algorithms (just about all of them are capable of the latter).  Very good, especially the H9[s), but I wanted a bit more.

I decided to cover both of those with Beebo’s (somewhat flakey) Loopler, along with its potential for effects sound design.  I also like the idea of a versatile MIDI generator living right next door.  H90 + Mad Scientist FX Routing + LFOs, envelopes, step sequencers, …

MrClean
      Participant

I mentioned this in another post, I’m using the H90 insert 1 out to route to a Vox Ac15. The stereo outs of the H90 go to a Roland JC40 (in stereo). Its a brilliant setup, the Vox can be placed anywhere in the signal path (with or with out effects) and with send level control. I have one of the six switches (on the H90) set to insert 1 so can manually switch the amp if I wish, or obviously include the status in a programme.

brock
      Participant

… H90 insert 1 out to route to a Vox Ac15. The stereo outs of the H90 go to a Roland JC40 (in stereo). Its a brilliant setup…

See, now that’s what I’m talking about: Innovative.  A configurable superset of W/D/W.  In stereo here myself, but I’ve been using workarounds to jump the input signals over (leaving both Inserts available).  But yours is a cool approach that I hadn’t considered.

kevo888
        Participant

That is a fantastic idea. I have been floating ideas in my head for weeks about which pedals to go into inserts. It never occured to me that it could be an amp. Brilliant.

coirbidh_99
        Participant

Once you realize that there’s no requirement that an insert signal actually *returns* to the H90, a whole realm of possible new uses opens up.

MrClean
      Participant

The other excellent thing is, you can control the phase of the insert on a per preset  basis which opens up more creative oppurtunites when sending to an amp…..

tomerz
      Participant

I’m using insert 1 to go into my Iridium that sends back to input 3. Insert 2 sends to my amp, and the stereo outs (1+2) go into my interface. This way I can play through my amp with the H90, and when I want to record or play through my monitors I don’t need to touch any cables. Works great and I can also put the Iridium pre/post effects depending on the program. The mix on insert 2 (to amp) must be 0%. Thanks to @joecozzi for his guidance.

mudderfish
      Participant

I’m so overwhelm with all the options. I can’t settle on anything and end up using H90 by itself. lol Which is great! But I would love to add some of these pedals.

Loupe, LVX, Microcosm, Beebo, Baklengs, CT5 and Habit. Overdrives and Fuzz pedals and 3 amps and Reaper software.

My head is spinning!!!

apalazzolo
      Participant

I’m using insert 1 to go into my Iridium that sends back to input 3. Insert 2 sends to my amp, and the stereo outs (1+2) go into my interface. This way I can play through my amp with the H90, and when I want to record or play through my monitors I don’t need to touch any cables. Works great and I can also put the Iridium pre/post effects depending on the program. The mix on insert 2 (to amp) must be 0%. Thanks to @joecozzi for his guidance.

Clever!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.