H90 loud hiss and hum

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H90 loud hiss and hum

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      pb4567string
      Participant

Just got my H90 and out of the box there is a noise floor on all programs/presets that makes it unusable. I sounds like a ground buzz with a loud shhhhhh whenever audio is engaged. Using the factory power supply, I’ve tried multiple cable swaps and power outlets, guitar strait in to H90 and out to amp, tweaked parameters, mix, gate, in/out gain to no avail. I have other digital pedals that run on the board with no issues. I’ve owned the H9 and a few other Eventide delays, but never had this problem with any of those. At this point  I feel pretty certain it may just be a defective unit and return it to the retailer for a replacement. Any other recommendations?

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Please contact support@eventide.com for the best troubleshooting. If they determine there is in fact a problem, they will be able to take care of you directly.

pb4567string
      Participant

5 days no response from support. Sending it back to the retailer to exchange for another unit

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Hi pb4567string,

This very odd. When you emailed support, did you get an email verifying that the message was received?

pb4567string
      Participant

I did not receive a verification email. I will try again. Thank you

pb4567string
      Participant

Ok just sent another request and the verification email popped up this time. I look forward to their assessment. Thank you for the info Joe!

richard
      Participant

I have this problem too. For example, the ground hum is loud enough that all pitch programs play an audible chord in the background; they are harmonising the hum – not hugely loud but enough to make the unit unusable. I tried an alternative PSU and it is the same. I have used Eventide products for 20 years and know this can’t be right. I should just return this unit, right?

richard
      Participant

Did you resolve it pb4567string?

BMeech
      Participant

I have the same problem. The hum <span style=”font-size: inherit;”>is louder with the H90 power supply. Using using one of the Eventide power units. The hiss is different from program to program. I imported some programs I wrote from my H9 and the H90 added more noise. </span>

joecozzi
        Eventide Staff

Do you have USB hooked up to the pedal while you’re playing it? Also, can you describe your signal flow? Do you have any other pedals in the chain? Are you going straight into the amp, etc?

Lorpal
      Participant

This is why it is imperative to unlock the Bluetooth feature!

BMeech
      Participant

The noise is louder with the usb. I find it manageable when using my laptop instead of my desktop. Also choosing the correct input/output settings helps

Bert Sleeckx
      Participant

This is what I hear.

00:00:00   Amp no fx with loop:      -28.1 dbfs

00:13:50   H90 no usb                  -17.8 dbfs

00:27:00   H90 usb                        -4.5  dbfs

00:40:00  H90 usb short cables -5.8 dbfs

00:53:50 Tc flashback no usb         -23.3 dbfs

01:07:00 Tc flashback usb              -22.9 dbfs

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Aj7QIcC9IL33hK4TWXku2qw29jvG1A?e=Vu44ZQ

Tried everything, other cables, everything in the same socket, after a powerconditioner, without powerconditioner. Changed IO, bypass, killdry settings in H90.

Guitar->H90 input1

H 90 output1->Duotone  H&K input

DuotoneH&K send->H90 input3

H90 output3->DuotoneH&K return

It’s a parallel loop and the amptone is kind off classic rock(no shitload of gain)

How can I fix this? Or is this a faulty unit??

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Bert Sleeckx
      Participant

Ok, just tried the H90 only in the loop of the amp, and the noise and hiss are almost gone. Input 3- output3.

But I need dual mode for whammy-wah-octaver and other pre stuff.

Seems to me that there is a problem with the unit when it’s in dual mode and in the parallel loop of a distorted tube amp…..

Or am I doing something wrong?

joecozzi
        Eventide Staff

Seems to me that there is a problem with the unit when it’s in dual mode and in the parallel loop of a distorted tube amp….. Or am I doing something wrong?

Can you describe the problem or are you still referring to noise when using USB?

When using H90 in any amp with a parallel loop, the H90 needs to be used in Kill Dry mode to avoid any type of comb-filtering. If the amps effects loop has a dry/wet balance control, it’s preferred to make it function as a serial loop by setting to 100% wet. Then, you’ll be able to use the H90 without Kill Dry on.

Bert Sleeckx
        Participant

Hello Joe,thanks for your responce.

The H90 is in Global Kill dry mode, the amps loop has a dry/wet balance but 100% is

still parallel! It’s not possible to make it serial.

There is a 50Hz noise when the H90 (in dual mode) is connected like this:

Guitar->H90 input1

H 90 output1->Duotone  H&K input

DuotoneH&K send->H90 input3

H90 output3->DuotoneH&K return

In the amps clean mode it’s not a problem.

In overdrive mode it’s a lot worse,

and in boost mode it’s almost unusable.

When I connect usb then it’s only usable in clean mode! I’ve made recordings off the noise.

But when I put the H90 only in the parallel loop there’s no 50Hz noise, and almost no usb noise, but then I can’t use Whammy, Octaver, Wah, Weedwacker…….

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

the amps loop has a dry/wet balance but 100% is still parallel! It’s not possible to make it serial.

It’s possible that effects loop functions differently than other amps with balance control. ENGL amps, for example, have a balance control and 100% generates a serial FX loop according to the manual.

There is a 50Hz noise when the H90 (in dual mode) is connected like this: Guitar->H90 input1 H 90 output1->Duotone H&K input DuotoneH&K send->H90 input3 H90 output3->DuotoneH&K return In the amps clean mode it’s not a problem.

This specific frequency is indicative of a ground loop in the system. You can try placing an isolation transformer in between the amp’s FX send and the H90 and the H90 Out to the effects loop return. It’s possible only one of these will solve the issue.

Bert Sleeckx
      Participant

Should this do the trick?

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Yes, that is a great option especially because it can be used for two channels.

Bert Sleeckx
        Participant

Well, I just received my isolation transformer. I put it in the chain like you said but it didn’t work :         “This specific frequency is indicative of a ground loop in the system. You can try placing an isolation transformer in between the amp’s FX send and the H90 and the H90 Out to the effects loop return. It’s possible only one of these will solve the issue.”

Luckily it worked when I put it before the amp input and with a groundlift.

Does this make sense to you, and is it safe?

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Does this make sense to you, and is it safe?

Yes, it perfectly fine. Ground loops are a challenge to track down. Glad you solved the issue.

garyslama
      Participant

I’ve noticed a slightly different noise issue. It only occurs when I connect the H90 to my MacBook Pro via USB to use the H90 Control App. As soon as I connect the cable, I get a noticeable amount of “computer noise” coming through my Scarlett 4i4 audio interface (same issue with my Scarlett 2i2). This is not 60Hz ground hum. It sounds like it’s a function of what the H90 processors are doing… kind of like if you float your cellphone over your guitar pickups. As I navigate through through the H90 Control App, that pattern of noise varies slightly. I’ve tried a couple of different US cables… same issue. Any ideas? Is there a USB “isolation” device?

joecozzi
        Eventide Staff

Hi garyslama,

This interference is common with USB cables, unfortunately. I have heard people say that a 3rd party cable with a ferrite choke or clip-on EMI noise filter may help to mitigate this problem but I have not tested this.

garyslama
      Participant

Tried a USB-C cable with ferrite chokes on both ends… no change in the noise level.

But…

Just saw that Eventide is going to be supporting Bluetooth connectivity, so… problem solved!

Thank you, Eventide!

On Monday, November 27th, Eventide will be making a public beta of firmware providing Bluetooth functionality to the H90. By installing Application Firmware version 1.7.1 (Beta) via H90 Control, users will be able to pair to their pedals to MacOS computers as well as Apple iPads to control the H90 wirelessly using the app.

moreigloos
      Participant

Mine just started to do this with the USB cable plugged in too. Even in bypass mode it’s just a noise generator & not usable. I need to have the USB for clock sync.

It doesn’t really make sense why considering that no audio is passing thru the USB cable & the unit is being powered by a power supply.

With a highest quality USB-C cable direct into a macbook this unit should be DEAD quiet. Never have I ever had any USB problem ever like this even with really inexpensive gear.

Are we sure there just isn’t a problem with the USB ports on these units?

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Have you changed anything else in your setup? Perhaps you have relocated where some devices are and connected things differently?

USB ground loops are common with many devices, not just the H90. The best thing you can do is try having all of your gear powered from the same outlet.

BMeech
      Participant

The output as well as the hum both got louder with the current update.

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Sorry, it’s not clear what the issue you are reporting is.

Is the noise you mention only an issue when you are connected to a computer using USB?

Which firmware is installed on your H90?

It would be best to contact support@eventide.com if you’d like to pursue this further.

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.