H90 New Preset – how to?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H90 New Preset – how to?

Tagged: 

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Shor
      Participant

Hi,

Just received my H90 yesterday, and I am more than impressed by it so far.

However, I am running into a bit of a curious ‘problem’.
      How do you create your own presets? Neither in H90 interface or in the H90 control app have I figured out how to make a new preset from scratch.

The only way I worked out how to make a new one right now is by loading existing presets, and then saving/renaming them.

Is there any way to simply add an algorithm to a program without having to search for a saved preset using it?

I have an Eventide Space which lets me browse algorithms, and as far as I can recall, you could also browse algorithms on the H9, but I haven’t yet figured out how that works on H90.

brockstar
      Participant

If you want to completely make a new program from scratch then open control app and top left and click on “USER 1” and drop down will happen, then click on “USER 2” and this will start a new place for you to build your own programs.

How to begin on control app:

1) In the control app go to preset library at the bottom right

2) Once there, click on preset A or B default name at the top

3) Choose from a list of presets to add to either section A or B

4) Tweak, twiddle, twist knobs until you have something you like in both preset A and B sections

5) Click that “SAVE” button top right of control app.

You can do all of this on the H90 as well but a little more cumbersome until you learn it

https://cdn.eventideaudio.com/manuals/h90/1.1.2/content/edit-modes/programs.html#saving-programs

https://cdn.eventideaudio.com/manuals/h90/1.1.2/content/edit-modes/presets.html#saving-presets

Shor
      Participant

Thanks for the reply!

However, this quoted part is exactly what I want to avoid. I just want to add an algorithm without having to use an existing preset.

So ideally I’d like to just start a new program, select an algorithm such as Digital Delay, and then start working on it. Right now I have to select from a list of presets using that algorithm.

brockstar
        Participant

I don’t believe there’s a way to do that.

Sorbz62
      Participant

Thanks for the reply!

<p style=”text-align: right;”>However, this quoted part is exactly what I want to avoid. I just want to add an algorithm without having to use an existing preset. So ideally I’d like to just start a new program, select an algorithm such as Digital Delay, and then start working on it. Right now I have to select from a list of presets using that algorithm.

</p>
      I think you need to change your approach to this pedal, as you are not choosing a programme but a preset, effectively adding an algo to either A or B.

If you choose a preset by doing what Brockstar says, you are adding a single algo to A, exactly the same as you would do on the H9, except it will have settings from the used preset. Understand?

You then add an algo to B from another preset. It’s very simple.

Shor
      Participant

Thanks.

I already know how to make a new program and add presets to it.
      I was just after a way to add an algorithm from a short list instead of having to always base it off of an existing preset.

I don’t know need change my approach as I was already doing it the intended way, but I was hoping to be able to just add an algorithm instead of a preset. Would make for a quicker workflow and a shorter list.

apalazzolo
        Participant

I don’t know how to add an algorithm … other than adding a preset made by an algorithm (what you want to avoid).

This may or may not help (not sure) but the H90 has FAVORITE and USER PRESETS parameters (near the top of the preset library page) that narrows preset search results pretty fast.  So, for example, if you have 20 presets flagged as favorites, that’s your short list right there.  Similarly, if you have only created 20 presets, you can select the USER PRESETS parameter and access a short list.

Hope that helps.

Shor
        Participant

Thanks! That’s a pretty clever way to go about this.
        It’s not what I was hoping to be able to do, but this effectively accomplishes the same thing. Thank you again for some creative thinking.

Sorbz62
      Participant

Suit yourself

nene
      Participant

Might be a silly question but in H9, I used to create multiple user presets under an algorithm and name it as a preset list , ie digital delay user preset list. Can we do the same in h90 control app or would we be able to utilise the 5 user list for such preset list?

apalazzolo
        Participant

There are icons for create, delete, and rename lists in the bottom left of the Control App EDIT screen.  You can do a lot with them just like with the H9.

nene
      Participant

There are icons for create, delete, and rename lists in the bottom left of the Control App EDIT screen. You can do a lot with them just like with the H9.

thanks. Will try it out

omerko33
      Participant

There’s a way to make my preset list shorter? I don’t  need 99, only 30

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Sorry, no. It will always be 99.

zappi2233
      Participant

Sorry for the dumb question. I am a new H90 user. Can you only flagg programs or also presets as favorites? And how do you flag programs or presets as favorites? I see the heart icon, but I can not use it.

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Programs and Presets can both be favorited and the process is the same for both. Click the Preset Library Tab, and then click to the left of the Preset name and you should see the heart appear, indicating it has been favorited. You can then click the Favorites tab up top to only view your favorited presets.

If you click the Programs tab, you can set which Programs are your favorite the same way.

lonzob
      Participant

I also find it strange I can’t create a new preset from scratch. I would like to simply chose an algorithm and name it myself. Will this be possible in the future?

brock
      Participant

I also find it strange I can’t create a new preset from scratch. I would like to simply chose an algorithm and name it myself. Will this be possible in the future?

I’m working on a solution.  No mappings, basic, barebones. I haven’t made it through all 62 algorithms yet.

Mainly because it’s tedious work.  But I do find what I have so far to be fast & useful for programming work.  Problem is, there will be all kinds of opinions on exactly what makes up a ‘base algorithm’.

For example, any delay algorithm.  Should it be at 0.00 mS?  Or something common, like 1/4 and 1/2 notes at 120 BPM?  Tempo On, or Off?  No Feedback, probably.  50:50 Dry/Wet?  Should Mod Delay have some base amount of modulation?  If not, then what about a phaser?

Lots of considerations have to go into a base algorithm Preset.  I have my own ideas, but I’m curious what others may think.

lonzob
        Participant

Lots of considerations have to go into a base algorithm Preset.  I have my own ideas, but I’m curious what others may think.

For me a basic delay would be 50% wet 1/4 note with a bit of feedback, no mod. Many of the reverb presets have a ton of modulation – which shows what the algorithm can do, but kind of opinionated in a way. Would be cool to have a more neutral starting point… And be able to name the preset.

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Brock makes a good point here. Many users will have a different opinion of what a “base algorithm” or starting point for a sound should be.

If you’d like your starting point to be a basic delay with 50% wet 1/4 note with a bit of feedback and no mod, you can create that preset and save it with a custom name.

Are you unsure of how to name custom presets?

lonzob
      Participant

Thanks for the reply. I didn’t know I could create a custom preset… Thought I had to select a preset and save as a Program.

How to do?

thanks

rbbrnck
      Participant

Thanks! That’s a pretty clever way to go about this.It’s not what I was hoping to be able to do, but this effectively accomplishes the same thing. Thank you again for some creative thinking.

i second your view and intent on this matter, for the record – received mine coupla days ago, too, am more than impressed at first earglance like you are… and my way of building a (portion of) signal chain for my research is pretty much aligned with yours… à la sound design, if i dare using what sounds like a much abused word these days.

i too, for myself, would prefer to start off a clean slate, a blank canvas, instead of a ready-made concoction that was devised to win users with a taste that is simply not my own…

but i realize (by what i’m listening, hands-on, from my new toy) that a vast number of users and buyers feel perfectly satisfied at tweaking one knob here, one there, building they set off a wow-list that’s indeed already included with the device.

i’ve replaced a decrepit H9 with this H90, which means i had to push another pedal off the board in the process, and really hope to find a way to build from scratch… with the hinted approach helping along the way.

not similar in many aspects, but that’s for me the reason why my H9 before, and this H90 now, is plugged into a Helix ecosystem that has distinct studio, stage and mobile realms, and devices, for my own use – with the ability to build a new “processing-process” off a blank page.

as any new pair of shoes can sure look fantastic, it takes a while (to old folks, especially) before you can call it your own, and hope your feet feel at home in them… i have a whole shelf of those that didn’t make it, which can and will take a few more – just hope it’ll only host shoeboxes, not stompboxes! 🙂

brock
        Participant
        rbbrnck
        Participant

…so kind of you, thank you! i’ll have a look into it as soon as i sit before my unit… and lend an ear to all of your other creations you’re sharing there!

rbbrnck
        Participant

…only had 5 minutes of access to my machine today, downloaded the file – and, again, thank you!

i can’t make it to work, though, and have yet to figure out the origin of the [attached] error message i’m getting after importing it…

will investigate on it, and find out the cause – anyone contributing competence on this hiccup here will get my most honest appreciation!

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        brock
        Participant

OK, let’s try this again.  You are set up in Dual Routing mode.  Sorry, but all of my Programs / Lists are set up in Insert Mode.  You’ll see that most of the PatchStorage downloads are labeled as such.  I believe Insert Mode to be more universally useful across a variety of end users.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to convert Dual Routing Preset Lists to Insert Mode Lists.  They are mutually exclusive.  But, in this particular case, there may be a way around it, with a little work involved.

• (Temporarily) change your system setting to Insert Mode.
        • Load up the Algo Programmer’s Kit list.
        • Save Preset A from each of the 63 Programs.
        • Preset B doesn’t matter, as it’s simply a series pass-through.
        • Switch back to Dual Routing in system settings.
        • The 63 Presets should still work for you as intended.

If need be, I suppose you could recreate the entire Program List in Dual Routing Mode.  But you may be content with selecting an INIT (blank) Program, with each of those Presets coming up first in a search.  I’ll try out a few things this evening to see if there are any “got-cha’s” in that process.

rbbrnck
        Participant

wholehearted thanks, Brock – for your toolkit contribution, and your explaining effort!
        i’ll try the workaround you’re kindly suggesting, later in the day.

and, meanwhile, your hint may have even triggered a different line of reasoning to my approach.

i got the H90 to tentatively turn my tabletop setup into a portable one, my only and honest reason of choice (beside decrepit H9 losing its usb connector) – and, as such, i’ve deliberately ignored the insert function on it, because my main signal processing happens either onboard two HLX Stomp patched in series… or (its studio equivalent on AES/EBU) Helix Rack.

the original plan was to split the H90’s two internal engines, to patch each of them onto the insert path on each HLX Stomp… just like the scheme that became your avatar pic!

then, after listening how all the factory programs are made, seemed the most purpose was in the combined result of two presets – and, after reading this post of yours, i realize there’s room for revising my whole concept (and wiring scheme, consequentially).

you surely know better than i do, how the creative research stimulus stems from a hard-to-master balance point between the comfort zone of a workflow we’ve secured ourselves onto, and the effort of dribbling around unexpected debris and discrepancies… having resolved myself to a stereo-only chain has left some of my most coveted (mono) effects in a drawer at first, then brought them onto a tiny front-end pedalboard that now ends with (stereo output) H9… so the kit that had to become smaller (in order to become portable) has just gotten a tad bigger…

which is where your programming toolkit might make my day – and not before i will have learnt how to teach my H90 to obey a (logical, informed, knowledgeable) command!

a propós logic, informed, and knowledgeable, now’s the time to learn about the routing scheme holding H90’s twin-engine architecture.
        thanks again for your generous support – and i mean it!

brock
        Participant

I pained over the Dual vs. Insert options a bit myself, at the start.  Dual Routing made a lot of sense in my convoluted setup. I kept trying all the various permutations – noting pros & cons – until I settled on a ‘winner’ (what worked out best for me).

Dual Routing has a lot of advantages, especially since I was matching that alongside similar options in a Poly Effects Beebo.  I ended up with Insert Mode, semi-permanently.  The Presets in stereo, a choice of in Series, or in Parallel (along with a dry signal that is apparently also in parallel with all of that) allows me to treat the H90 like a mini-mixer.

That conceptualization completely freed up the RJM Mini Line Mixer under the ‘board.  I play a lot of synths with the guitars, and the upstream/downstream paths are just as complex.  And that Beebo?  Stereo inserts to the H90, a mini-mixer in its own right, plus an amazing MIDI generator, living right next-door.

I’m just trying to point out here that the versatility in the H90 lets you take whatever path works out.  If you get stuck in the Toolkit conversion process, I can drum up an alternate version.  I probably should have from the start, to cover both potential routings.  Either way you choose to go, let us know how you made out.

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Excellent work creating these Presets!

For users who want to use them in Dual Mode, they can simply import the list while their pedal is in Insert Mode, then click the 3-dot icon next to the Preset’s name and select “Save to Library”.

Now the default Preset you have created is in the Preset Library and available for any Program in either routing mode.

brock
        Participant

Something to look out for, that I discovered last night:

• The 000TB DynaVerb Program contains the base parameter settings as intended.
        • When I loaded up the 000 DynaVerb Preset (saved as above), all of the parameters were reset CCW.
        • I believe that the 000 UltraTap Preset may also reset (at least) the MIX to 0.
        • There may / may not be a few others, that – at the time – I chalked up as an errant adjustment.

The workaround for now would be to build around these few Programs, or be mindful of the behavior with these two Presets.

brock
        Participant

Here is the direct link to a PolySynth template, reflecting the 64th algorithm release [single Program, configured like the rest]:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/4umkg77os94hn0l1hz87f/000TB-PolySynth.pgm90?rlkey=yd5i4sosgwtivnnzb6tm6no5m&dl=0

For those with the Algo Programmer’s Toolkit Program List, this one should slot in between 000TB HotSawz and 000TB Synthonizer.  Otherwise, the complete List has been updated at PatchStorage.

brock
      Participant

Frustratingly, I just got logged out after typing a long reply.  I have the explanation, and I believe I have a relatively painless solution.  Stay tuned.

jenueheightz
      Participant

Hi all. Is there a way to merge my created 2 programs and make it as a preset ? I would like to stack the new preset with a new algorithm. So it would have:

A – Custom Preset, B – Existing Algorithm

I appreciate your response. Thanks

brock
      Participant

A – Custom Preset.

• In H90 Control, load up the Program with Custom Preset A in it, and Save to Library.  10.3.2 Parameters Edit Menu – Item 12 – in the link below:

https://cdn.eventideaudio.com/manuals/h90/1.8.5/content/h90-control/edit.html

B – Existing Algorithm B

• Load up the Program with Existing Algorithm B in it, and repeat the same process described above in Item 12.

Now load up a fresh INIT Program.  Go to the link above, down to the bottom – 10.3.5 Preset Library – TIP.

Find & select Custom Preset in Preset A, then Existing Algorithm (preset) in Preset B.  Give it a unique name, and SAVE Program.

There are other ways to do it as well.  For example, I favor a combination of Preset selection on the pedal with the file management & editing in H90 Control.  But you can accomplish the same in either pedal or app.

jenueheightz
      Participant

I appreciate the quick response.

What I actually want is to have 3-5 algorithms stacked together in let’s say in Bank #1.

I was thinking if this is possible: Bank #1 with A & B algorithm –> Save as a New Algorithm.

The in a clean Bank, restore the saved new algorithm in the new A algorithm in the clean bank,   then in the B algorithm, select any algorithms in the preset library.

I am not sure if this is possible? I am trying to figure this out. It would be awesome to have this feature.

Thanks a lot.

brock
      Participant

I had a feeling that might be your intent. No, the H90 can do a lot of things, but a successive buildup of composited algorithms isn’t one of them.  That would be a nice concept, but the closest you’ll get is combining two multi-faceted algorithms together.

This isn’t as limiting as it appears initially.  I consider most – if not all – of the algorithms as “multi-effects”.  That is, a dual pitch shifter might also have delays, detuning, EQ …  A reverb might have several types of modulation, etc.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.