H90 output both stereo and mono?

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H90 output both stereo and mono?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      carl_stanley
      Participant

all –

is it possible to setup the H90 so that it outputs a mono signal on Output 1, and a stereo signal on Outputs 3-4?

I have it in my bass pedalboard (which is mono) but want to take a stereo signal out to the PA as well.

If this isn’t possible can this be added as a feature request?

thx!

-carl

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

No, this is not possible. If you only connect out of Output 1 the H90 automatically functions in mono, even if you were to use the stereo insert last in the chain.

If you will not be combining two algorithms per program, the workaround is using Dual Routing Mode and spitting your signal before the H90. Feed one to Path 1 (mono) and the other to Path 2 (stereo). Use the same algorithm for both.

carl_stanley
      Participant

Joe –

thx for the reply!  follow up question – lets say I have a device that connects to stereo out on H90, it has stereo out passthru and a summed mono signal out (all buffered), something like:

H90 output L –>  Device –> L out

H90 output R –> Device –> R out

|

mono summed out

Do the H90 algorithms  change depending if its mono out or stereo out, or does the H90 just sum the 2 channels for mono?  Would something like this work or would it have phase issues that a H90 mono out  signal doesn’t have?

thx again!

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Having the H90 function in mono naturally by only connecting Output 1 is always better than having an outboard device sum for you. The algorithms are designed to adjust for optimal performance when appropriate connections are made, and they have no way of detecting an external sum mixer. That said, in most cases, you will be okay summing externally, as in the case when your running a stereo rig but you can only connect in mono for a show or something. I’ve done it. Nonetheless, ask the pro rig builders and 100% of the time they will tell you, connect things in mono if that’s what you want, don’t sum externally.

carl_stanley
      Participant

Thx Joe!  Your explanation makes total sense – thx for the quick reply!  (now to find such a device, i dont see anything like it out there – i think i’ll have to build it myself)

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Are you referring to a summing mixer that sums a stereo signal down to mono? There are plenty of boxes from Goodwood Audio (Output TX), JHS (Summing Amp), and Walrus Audio (Canvas).

carl_stanley
      Participant

Just to complete this thread – I bought a custom unit from Saturn Works that does this (stereo in, stereo out + a mono combined signal out, all buffered). works great!

fzarraga
      Participant

So I just got my h90 and I’m running it stereo at the end of my pedal chain. I have the strymon Bigsky going in stereo into the H90 and stereo out the H90 into my Interface. For some reason I’m getting a wet signal on my left side but a very dry signal on my right, even while the H90 is bypassed. Am I doing something wrong??

joecozzi
        Eventide Staff

Do you only get this result with H90 in the chain?

Have you tried just connecting to the H90 straight into the interface?

Are you 100% sure you’re connecting to the right I/O? I’ve seen users who mistakenly think think 1&2 are next to each other when they’re really on top of one another.

fzarraga
      Participant

Yes it’s only when I plug in my h90. I’ve Already plugged in with just the pedal itself and it works just fine and I am connecting my inputs and outputs 1 and 2 correctly as well. The weird thing is that my input and output 2 are getting signal but there’s very little sound coming through. I also tried the Dual routing mode and still no help.

joecozzi
        Eventide Staff

Are you using a Factory program or did you customize one?

What version of the software is on the H90? System settings > About

You said you’re connecting to an audio interface. Are you connecting to line inputs or Hi-Z inputs?

What Bypass Mode are you using on the H90, DSP or Relay?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.