H90 Power draw & routing

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H90 Power draw & routing

Tagged: 

Viewing 59 reply threads
  • Author
      MrClean
      Participant

Hi all, just ordered y H90, thanks again Eventide for the continued evolution of the product line ! Couple of questions: what’s the power draw in milliamps for power brick integration ? Are the routing combinations (in/out/stereo/dual mono) configurable on a per preset basis ?

thanks

MrClean
      Participant

Should add – I mean the I/O config routing (not the internal signal path)

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

What’s the power draw in milliamps for power brick integration? 

Although we provide a 12V 1 amp power adapter, the H90 can be powered with 600mA. Testing with our own PowerMax/Mini products we can safely run it at 12V 500mA because of the excellent efficiency of those power supplies. 9V works as well, but it’s a hungry 800mA.

Are the routing combinations (in/out/stereo/dual mono) configurable on a per preset basis ? thanks

The H90 has two global routing modes – Dual mode and Insert Mode. When you designate one, the program routing (series-parallel, insert positions [insert mode only]) can change on a program basis. Keep in mind, however, that Programs designed in Insert Mode do not work in Dual mode and Vice versa.

jm345
        Participant

Although we provide a 12V 1 amp power adapter, the H90 can be powered with 600mA. Testing with our own PowerMax/Mini products we can safely run it at 12V 500mA because of the excellent efficiency of those power supplies. 9V works as well, but it’s a hungry 800mA.

————

I have a power brick (Voodoo Power 3 Plus). Would combining two 9V 500mA outputs with a current adapter to get 9V 1000mA work OK?

ear5555
        Participant

If you’re using a pedal Power 3 Plus, simply use one of the 12V 1A outputs on the far left side of the power supply. This is more than enough juice and the optimal voltage.

willcrook69
        Participant

Are the routing combinations (in/out/stereo/dual mono) configurable on a per preset basis ? thanks

The H90 has two global routing modes – Dual mode and Insert Mode. When you designate one, the program routing (series-parallel, insert positions [insert mode only]) can change on a program basis. Keep in mind, however, that Programs designed in Insert Mode do not work in Dual mode and Vice versa.

does the power mini come with a cable that will go straight into the h90? if so I’m going to buy one straight away!

joecozzi
        Eventide Staff

Yes.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Yes. Voodoo makes the Current Doubler adapter.

jm345
      Participant

Thank you!

lelevox
      Participant

And what about ciocks DC7?

it provides max 12v 500ma

is a double cable needed in this case too?
      thanks

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

A single 12V 500mA outlet from a DC7 will power the H90.

coirbidh_99
        Participant

But *not* the 12V 400mA outlet from the original PowerFactor? That’s what I’m using now, and it *seems* to be working properly, but I’m starting to get a little paranoid about it.

MrClean
      Participant

Hi all, and Eventide gurus ! The complexities of electricity !

Just to confirm (as im a bit nervous about hitting the unit with 18v)  – 2@ 9 volt, 400ma outputs combined with the Voodoo Lab current doubler https://voodoolab.com/product/current-doubler-adapter/ will work with the H90 and not damage the unit ?

I am using the following https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PedalPwrDig–voodoo-lab-pedal-power-digital-4-output-isolated-guitar-pedal-power-supply

Utilising the two 9 volt 400ma outputs as described above. Thanks !

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

But *not* the 12V 400mA outlet from the original PowerFactor? That’s what I’m using now, and it *seems* to be working properly, but I’m starting to get a little paranoid about it.

We do not recommend under powering the unit with only 400mA.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Just to confirm (as im a bit nervous about hitting the unit with 18v) – 2@ 9 volt, 400ma outputs combined with the Voodoo Lab current doubler https://voodoolab.com/product/current-doubler-adapter/ will work with the H90 and not damage the unit ? I am using the following https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PedalPwrDig–voodoo-lab-pedal-power-digital-4-output-isolated-guitar-pedal-power-supply Utilising the two 9 volt 400ma outputs as described above. Thanks !

You will be alright.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

By the way, this cable s doubles the current not the voltage, so you’re not hitting it with 18v.

MrClean
      Participant

Thankyou joecozzi  – fed ex mentioned my unit is somewhere south of Hawaii over the pacific. Hopefully it will get to Australia (without a stop over at the Marshall Islands) 😀

ed536m
      Participant

I have a cioks dc5 if I use the CIOKS 4022 Type 4 Stack Flex Power in the outs that have 300ma each would that be enough to power the H90? Two 12v at 400 ma each.

thanks

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

I have a cioks dc5 if I use the CIOKS 4022 Type 4 Stack Flex Power in the outs that have 300ma each would that be enough to power the H90? Two 12v at 400 ma each. thanks

No. The stack flex cable is used to add the voltages of each outlet. The H90 cannot accept 18V or 24V.

ed536m
      Participant

I have a cioks dc5 if I use the CIOKS 4022 Type 4 Stack Flex Power in the outs that have 300ma each would that be enough to power the H90? Two 12v at 400 ma each. thanks

No. The stack flex cable is used to add the voltages of each outlet. The H90 cannot accept 18V or 24V.

Ok thanks. Is it the cioks 8800 that doubles the ma? So if I used two 12v 300ma outlets with cioks 8800 will that then provide it 12v 600ma and would that be safe?

thanks again

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Yes and yes.

canadabikedude
      Participant

Hey there. Looking forward to receiving my unit soon. I am currently running power to m H9 with current doubler cable from my Voodoo Labs pedal power two from the two “Line6” outlets. Will this work for the H90 as well?

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

If the dip switch is ON for 12V functionality and you use a current doubling cable, you’ll achieve the minimum amount of power to turn the unit on. So, the answer to will it work is yes. However, at boot up, the H90 spikes to about 550mA. I am not familiar with that power supplies ability to handle that since this method would only top out at 500mA. I would search elsewhere.

zambiland
      Participant

I just confirmed with True Tone that their CS7 will power the H90. Even though the highest current output is listed as 500ma, the total current load can be up to 1900ma which is automatically distributed as needed, as long as the total draw doesn’t exceed that total current number. Given that my other pedals draw about 200ma, I have a fair amount of headroom.

peaceonu
        Participant

Hi

I have a JUMA pedal power from stymon and it has 12V 500mA output option. Do I still have to use current doubling cable for the enough amount of current?

Thanks!

peaceonu
        Participant

I’ve just found that JUMA 12V provides 350mA not 500mA, so I would need use current doubling cable.

corbeano
        Participant

I just confirmed with True Tone that their CS7 will power the H90. Even though the highest current output is listed as 500ma, the total current load can be up to 1900ma which is automatically distributed as needed, as long as the total draw doesn’t exceed that total current number. Given that my other pedals draw about 200ma, I have a fair amount of headroom.

I tried this today, It powered up, but a very loud hum.

Does anyone have any idea what the hum is from?

Works great with no hum with the wall wart it came with.

joecozzi
        Eventide Staff

If you’re using one 9V 500mA outlet, my guess is that you’re under powering the H90. You need a current doubler cable and combine the 500mA outlets.

zambiland
        Participant

I have no idea where the hum is coming from (maybe a grounding issue with another pedal?). I used my CS7 to power an H90 with 3 other pedals and it worked perfectly. Make sure you are using the polarity reversal adapter.

corbeano
      Participant

i have the CL6 cable plus should not be a ground issue if the wall wart works just fine.

i will grab a current doubler and see what happens  thanks

willcrook
      Participant

Hey there. Looking forward to receiving my unit soon. I am currently running power to m H9 with current doubler cable from my Voodoo Labs pedal power two from the two “Line6” outlets. Will this work for the H90 as well?

has anyone else tried this and can report? really don’t want to have to buy a new pedal power supply to power the h90 🙂

joecozzi
        Eventide Staff

Specs wise, this should work as long as you switch the outlet to 12V. According to the manual, using a current doubler cable should give you 500mA (12V 250+250). I know the H90 has a startup spike of around 565mA. I don’t know whether the Pedal Power 2 Plus has the capability of reinforcing current where it’s needed for this spike like other manufacturers. May want to ask their support. This is the reason Eventide recommends 12V 600mA.

b_e_a_d_g_c
      Participant

Noob question for the people powering the H90 with power supplies – Are you all using reverse polarity adapters ? I’m under the impression that the H90 is center positive, and most power supplies are center negative.

joecozzi
        Eventide Staff

That is correct. If you are using a power supply other than Eventide or Coiks, a reverse polarity adapter with a 2.5mm end going into the H90 is required.

b_e_a_d_g_c
        Participant

Much appreciated, Joe

harperengineering
      Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Hey Joe, I rebuilding my board to accommodate the H90 and have a DC7. I intend to run this at 12V which should supply 500mA, which you stared should be adequate. I also see you mentioned if you’re using a Cioks you don’t need a polarity reversing power cable? What’s the reasoning there? I have one of their red tipped cables which I thought was for that purpose. Thanks!</p>

joecozzi
        Eventide Staff

I intend to run this at 12V which should supply 500mA, which you shared should be adequate.

Correct, this was confirmed by Cioks.

I also see you mentioned if you’re using a Cioks you don’t need a polarity reversing power cable? What’s the reasoning there?

The green Cioks cable, the Flex type 4, already incorporates a center-positive connector that is 2.5mm.

I have one of their red tipped cables which I thought was for that purpose.

The red cable, or the Flex type 2 cable, is also center-positive but it is 2.1 mm connector not suitable for the any Eventide pedal.

kevo888
      Participant

I can confirm my Cioks DC7 at 12v with included green cable works great with H90.

b_e_a_d_g_c
      Participant

Kevo888 are you using 2 , 12v outlets to power it , or just 1 @500ma ?

kevo888
      Participant

Kevo888 are you using 2 , 12v outlets to power it , or just 1 @500ma ?

Just one at 12v.

philh0954
      Participant

I’m still pretty confused with this whole power draw thing. I understand I will probably need a current doubler cable for my Stryman Zuma  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PPAP–voodoo-lab-current-doubler-adapter-4-inch-str-str-y-doubler

And I need a reverse polarity cable to hook into the H90. Here’s the confusing part, at least for me. Sweetwater sent me this link for the reverse polarity cable.  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DCRR2.5RP18–vertex-effects-2.1mm-2.5mm-angle-angle-reverse-polarity-dc-cable-18-inch

And Stryman sent me this link for the cable I would need.   https://www.strymon.net/product/polarity-reversal-cable-2-5mm/

My rep from Sweetwater said that cable from Stryman wouldn’t work and the rep from Stryman said that people with H90’s are using it. Seems like 2 entirely different cables. Can anyone point me to exactly what I need to hook the H90 up to my Stryman Zuma? Thanks!

philh0954
      Participant

Sorry I forgot to put the correct links in to my last message. I guess there’s no way to edit comments after you make them.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DCRR2.5RP18–vertex-effects-2.1mm-2.5mm-angle-angle-reverse-polarity-dc-cable-18-inch

https://www.strymon.net/product/polarity-reversal-cable-2-5mm/

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Hi philh0954,

Strymon doesn’t sell a current doubler cable, so I would go with the Voodoo Lab/Vertex combination of products. Together they will allow you to power the H90 from your Zuma. The problem with the Strymon adapter is that it’s female on one side, so it would only work for a pedal that only needs the power from ONE outlet and in conjunction with one of their barrel cables. That’s not the case with the H90. Hope that clarifies things for you.

philh0954
      Participant

Thanks for the clarification. I’m still thrown of a little bit from the email Stryman sent me. Here the text of it:

“We have never used the cable that you’ve just linked, however, we’ve had customers use our polarity reversal cable with a current doubler for Eventide products for years with no issues whatsoever.
      The current and polarity adapters that we sell still require the standard DC power cable that Zuma/Ojai comes with in order to connect it all. It appears that the Sweetwater rep may not understand this.
      I hope this clears it up for you!”

What you are saying I believe is that all I need to power the H90 with my Zuma is the current doubler cable and the Vertex reverse polarity cable that Sweetwater linked to. I will not need the cable that comes with the Stryman, right?

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

I’m still thrown of a little bit from the email Stryman sent me. Here the text of it: “We have never used the cable that you’ve just linked, however, we’ve had customers use our polarity reversal cable with a current doubler for Eventide products for years with no issues whatsoever.The current and polarity adapters that we sell still require the standard DC power cable that Zuma/Ojai comes with in order to connect it all.

I do not see a current doubler adapter on their website, so we’re both confused.

What you are saying I believe is that all I need to power the H90 with my Zuma is the current doubler cable and the Vertex reverse polarity cable that Sweetwater linked to. I will not need the cable that comes with the Stryman, right?

Correct.

philh0954
      Participant

They had told me they don’t sell the current doubler.
      Here’s another email I just got from them:

Victoria Godfrey (Strymon)

Jan 2, 2023, 15:53 AKST

Hi Phil,

Attached is a screenshot from Eventide’s website stating that the H90 is positive polarity.

We do not sell current doublers, as previously mentioned. You could use this current doubler:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PPAP–voodoo-lab-current-doubler-adapter-4-inch-str-str-y-double

Which would connect to the DC power cables that come with Zuma, which then would connect to our red-tipped polarity reversal cable:
      https://www.strymon.net/product/polarity-reversal-cable-2-5mm/

Which would then connect into the H90.

I hope this clears it up for you.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

What they’re forgetting to tell you is that with Strymon’s adapter you would have to use one of their barrel cables in between. Two adapters with female connectors alone can’t be joined.

philh0954
      Participant

So you’re saying that I could do it with their reverse polarity cable but would need to use their barrel cables as well. Basically with their way I’d need 3 cables attached together and Sweetwaters way would only be 2 cables, right?

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Correct.

hunttownsend
      Participant

I have two available ports on a “Pedal Power Digital” supply. Each port is 9V 400ma. If I use the Voodoo Labs current doubler adapter, will the H90 receive sufficient and “healthy” power?

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Yes

hunttownsend
      Participant

One more annoying question (first Nasa pedal of this type I have ever had). I see normal power cable connectors are too small to fit the male power connection on the H90. I have a current-doubler cable ready to, so what pedal power cable will fit properly on the H90’s power connector coming from the end of the current doubler cable?

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

2.5mm center positive connector. Like this one: https://voodoolab.com/product-category/cables/reverse2-5/

zambiland
      Participant

Please make sure that you are delivering the correct polarity. I use a TrueTone power supply and I had to get an adapter that went from center negative to center positive.

mferrar
      Participant

Sounds like i could use a single 12v output from a Strymon Ohai r30?

joecozzi
        Eventide Staff

No, That’s not enough power as the 12V outlet of the Ojai R30 only puts out 375mA. You could use either two 9V outlets with a current doubling cable and a polarity converter cable with a 2.5mm barrel on the H90 side, or you can use two 12V outlets with the same cables.

mferrar
      Participant

Oh, actually the current drops to somewhere around 360ma or so when selecting 12v on the ohai so I guess I’ll need a current doubler

wcranston
      Participant

I got my H90 and the inclosed power supply is 12v 1A. I have the the Eventide PowerFactor v1.2 that will only do 12v 400mA. How can I use this power supply or do I need to do something else.

joecozzi
        Eventide Staff

If it’s the PowerFactor 2 then you’ll need to combine outputs 7 & 8 using a current doubler cable (8800 Parallel Flex) into a green Flex cable to power the H90 properly.

wcranston
        Participant

It doesn’t say PowerFactor 2, just PowerFactor but it has the following and it appears that that will work. So 12V 800mA is good?

Outlet 5-6: 9 or 12 V DC / 400mA

Outlet 7-8: 9 or 12 V DC / 400mA

Outlet 9-10: 9 or 12 V DC / 400mA

I don’t know if you can answer this and it’s not related to the H90 but is there a way to combine two 9V outlets to get 18V plus double the amps?

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

So 12V 800mA is good?

Yes, you’ll have to combine two of the 12V 400ma outlets with a parallel current doubling cable.

I don’t know if you can answer this and it’s not related to the H90 but is there a way to combine two 9V outlets to get 18V plus double the amps?

Yes. For this you need a Voltage Doubling cable. 2200 Series Adapter cable. By using two isolated outlets the Series adapter Flex gives you the sum of voltages of the two outlets used. This adapter Flex cable should be used in combination with any of Eventide/CIOKS standard Flex cables if you want to power an 18V, 24V, or even a 40V pedal.

DO NOT USE THIS FOR THE H90!

david_grubby
      Participant

VL Pedal Power 3 Plus user here. Is there not simply a single cable that will connect the PP3P to the H90?

Would this one work, attached to the 12v 500mA outlet?.. https://voodoolab.com/product-category/cables/reverse2-5/

udi9
      Participant

VL Pedal Power 3 Plus user here. Is there not simply a single cable that will connect the PP3P to the H90? Would this one work, attached to the 12v 500mA outlet?.. https://voodoolab.com/product-category/cables/reverse2-5/

I’m also using the Pedal Power 3 and asked Voodoolab about it. They suggested to use one of the 12V X-Link (1A) outputs with a reverse polarity 2.1mm/2.5mm cable. Works like a charm!

This is the cable you need:

https://voodoolab.com/product-category/cables/reverse2-5/

david_grubby
        Participant

I did wonder if I could use one of these outputs, but was paranoid I’d screw up my lovely new pedal. That’s perfect as I have that cable already. Thanks!

hickrj
      Participant

Hello Eventide Team

I have a strymon Ojay R30. In this unit, it have 2  switchable outlets (9 V DC @ 500 mA, 12 V DC @ 375 mA & 18 V DC @ 250 mA)
      Could i use voodoo PPL6-R and Current Doubler Adapter PPAP?

How can i power up my H90 with it?

Greetings from Brazil!

joecozzi
        Eventide Staff

Yes, this the correct configuration of cables. Sorry we didn’t see this message sooner.

Thingsthinker
      Participant

Hi team!

Recently got my h90 and loving it but I would like to add the pedal to my current daisy-chain powerunit with plenty of juice at 9v, barrel plugs of 2.1 mm and center negative. What adapter/do you suggest I buy? I’m located in Europe/Holland. Would one of these work? Otherwise – what do you suggest?

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/guitar-effects-power-cables/strymon-polarity-reverse-cable-2-5-mm-2-1-mm-straight-15-cm?q=eventide%20polarity
      https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/guitar-effects-power-supply/truetone-cl6-l6-converter#information

Thanks!

joecozzi
        Eventide Staff

Hello,

These adapters will do the job provided the power outlet puts out 800mA @ 9V or 600mA @ 12V. Otherwise, you will need to combine more than one outlet with a current doubler cable.

d.arayamanz
      Participant

Hi all,

I confirm that powering up the H90 with Voodoo Lab Pedal power 2+ (outputs 5 & 6 w/ dipswitch in the up position) works just right so far.

I built myself a custom current doubler + polarity inverter connector, but you can use the adapters sold by Voodoo Lab.

Hope it helps!

jazznan
      Participant

Can I use the Pigtronix power supply to power the H90 by combing two 12v 300ma slots?

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Yes, as long as you use a current doubling cable, not a voltage doubler. Keep in mind the input to the H90 is reverse polarity (center-positive) and 2.5 mm.

jazznan
      Participant

Thanks. I’m assuming a current doubling cable is easy to find?

What are the two best power bricks you recommend?

Does the smaller version of the Eventide Cioks power the H90?

zambiland
      Participant

I love the True Tone One Spot CS12. It handles an H90 and a bunch of other boxes with ease. It also automatically assigns current where needed, so no current doubling cables needed. It can provide a total of 3000ma of current, which should be enough for a lot of pedals.

jazznan
      Participant

Thanks! Could explain to me how Mmmm which port you would connect the H90 to? Thanks (I’m a total newbie)

Kiniu
      Participant

Hi,

I have a power supply that has 10 isolated outputs, but only one is 12v 300ma… according to what I read here, it’s not enough for powering the h90… therefore I need the double current cable…

but here is my doubt:

The power supply has 3 outputs of 9v 300mA and only one of 9v 500 mA.
      To reach the 9v 800ma required by the h90 I will have to combine the output of 500ma + one of 300ma… Would there be any problem with combining these different outputs??

Thanks.

The h90 is amazing!

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

To reach the 9v 800ma required by the h90 I will have to combine the output of 500ma + one of 300ma… Would there be any problem with combining these different outputs??

No problem at all.

Kiniu
        Participant

Perfect! Thanks for your reply Joe….

Also want to know if its any difference in performance or sound between using 12v vs 9v ??

joecozzi
        Eventide Staff

There is no difference in performance or sound.

Modular1
      Participant

Can I safely run 4x H90s on an Eventide Powermax by Cioks power supply?
      Would there be any issues with the startup current mentioned? In theory could you safely run 7?

joecozzi
        Eventide Staff

4 H90’s at 12V, Yes. 4 at 12V and two coupled 9V outlets for a fifth unit, yes.

zambiland
      Participant

Can I safely run 4x H90s on an Eventide Powermax by Cioks power supply? Would there be any issues with the startup current mentioned? In theory could you safely run 7?

Must be quite a rig with 4 H90s!

I don’t know if the Eventide Powermax will provide enough current. It appears that at 12 volts, it provides 500ma for each output, instead of the suggested 600ma. I use the True Tone One Spot CS12 and it can handle up to 3000ma which is automatically distributed across all available outputs and has 4 12v outputs.

I have one and it’s been flawless.

The Powermax may work if you start up each H90 separately, but that’s a wild guess.

Modular1
        Participant

Well I’m just spitballing. It’s not a massive rig at all. It’s really just a massively pimped Analog Rytm and some synths. Im definitely going to have 3 so it sounds like it should be worry free with the powermax. I’ll add the true tone to my reading list though.

zambiland
      Participant

Well I’m just spitballing. It’s not a massive rig at all. It’s really just a massively pimped Analog Rytm and some synths. Im definitely going to have 3 so it sounds like it should be worry free with the powermax. I’ll add the true tone to my reading list though.

Well, Joe is the man, so either would work.

Anthony
      Participant

is there any sonic or physical benefit to running 12v 1a vs 12v 500ma?

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

No. Note that we only officially recommend using an Eventide or Cioks equivalent power supply when using 12v 500ma as we have tested those specific power supplies.

indigojc
      Participant

Hello there. At the moment I’m powering up underneath my pedalboard with the original power supply connected directly to my Furmann conditioner. All other pedals are connected to two different power bricks. I’m all nervous about it too, like many here, of using the bricks for my H90. So, that being said, One of my bricks is the “Palmer PWT 12 MK2” (love the unit) I did not try it with it yet. This unit has a bunch of 9v 300 mA and four 500mA in which you can choose 9,12,18 or 24 v. Would be safe for the H90 if using two of the 500mA at 9V to power it up? or better another combination. That way I could use the bricks and put the original power supply out of the board. Thxs in advance.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 59 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.