H90 Quick Knob Sensitivity

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H90 Quick Knob Sensitivity

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      marosdavid
      Participant

Hello All,

I have an issue with the sensitivity of the quick knobs. They seem to make large adjustments when turned fast and minor ones when turned slow.

My problem is that I often have to make small adjustments and when I turn the knob slowly, up to a certain speed it doesn’t respond at all. As I speed up the movement it all of a sudden starts adjusting the parameter, but I usually overshoot this way.

Is there a way to make the response simply linear? I really have no use for this adaptive sensitivity and it’s making my life difficult.

Thank you!

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Hi marosdavid, there isn’t a way to adjust the response of the quick knobs. If you feel something is completely out of wack, send an email to support@eventide.com with a video of the behavior to see if there may be something else at play here. Are you up to date on the software? Another option is making adjustments via H90 Control.

joecozzi
      Eventide Staff

Another option, in the PARAMETERS menu, we can select the Program, Preset A and Preset B using the LED buttons above the footswitches. Each option has a Hotknob controlled by the PERFORM knob that we can assign to any parameter in the corresponding category. If you prefer the feel of the PERFORM knob this could serve you better to control parameters.

marosdavid
        Participant

Joe, thank you for the answers!

My equipment and software are all up to date.

I love and need the three knobs, I use them a lot. I have them mapped to 3 parameters of the two effects I’m using parallel.

I did notice, that this spongy behavior is much worse on the feedback parameter of the delay than the filter for example. I’ll send a video to support, but I’ll also link it here to demonstrate. And to be specific, I need to adjust the feedback of the delay quickly and precisely to be able to use and manage its self oscillation in breaks. I don’t have time to slowly adjust it and I can’t use it at all if I don’t have the confidence that it will do what I think it will.

Please let me know if this behavior is normal, here is a video:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/W4CzW9aHipgb8UMN6

Thank you!

joecozzi
        Eventide Staff

Hi marosdavid,

Thank you for the video. I can reproduce this behavior. It’s an issue specific to that parameter and a fix will be made available in the next update. If by chance, you find issues with any other parameters, please let us know.

joecozzi
        Eventide Staff

In fact, we discovered it affects all TimeFactor derived delay algorithms, so we’ll fix those as well.

coirbidh_99
        Participant

Does this include the Looper? I’ve noticed some similar weirdness when trying to dial the Speed control – nothing happens with small tweaks, and then I overshoot.

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

The operation of the Speed parameter changes depending on the Resolution parameter. If you change the Resolution to “Chromatic” or “Smooth” the Speed parameter should adjust with smaller parameter changes. The other resolution settings are course controls and will require more turns to adjust the parameter. Let me know if that clears it up or if you are experiencing something different.

coirbidh_99
        Participant

Yeah, I get that. The problem is that it’s very difficult in practice to dial in a single increment of change in Octave resolution – you make small-ish turns and nothing happens, and then you make a slightly larger turn and the control moves by two increments. It’s frustrating in a way that I don’t remember experiencing with the TimeFactor. Of course, with the TimeFactor there was an OCT performance switch that I could assign to a footswitch; if that control (and the corresponding REV switch) were available on the H90, that would go a long way towards alleviating my problems.

joecozzi
        Eventide Staff

Hi coirbidh_99,

If you’re looking to go from one set of values to another instantly, the H90 gives you three hotswitches found in the Perform Mode. Each footswitch P, A, or B can be assigned the Hotswitch performance parameter.

To Program hotswitch values, go into the PARAMETERS menu, press and hold either P, A, or B to enter hotswitch program mode. There you can use the quick knobs to assign the values each parameter will change to when the hotswitch is engaged.

coirbidh_99
        Participant

I’m familiar with how the HotSwitches work. There’s a qualitative difference between the REV and OCT performance controls that the TimeFactor and H9 have for the Looper algorithm, which work as independent state-switches, and directly triggering a Speed value with a HotSwitch. For example: on the TimeFactor, I can use the OCT switch to go to half-speed, and then use the REV switch to move freely in and out of reverse *while staying in half-speed*. You can’t do this by directly controlling the Speed knob, because those values specify both speed and direction: half-speed forward is a different Speed value than half-speed reverse. I’ve asked previously for these controls to be reinstated in an H90 update, and was told that it’s in the works.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.