H90 – Tuner

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H90 – Tuner

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Atomicunderware
      Participant

Received my H90 a couple of days ago, and I have a couple of questions (that may be feature requests) regarding the tuner functionality. It’s a direct replacement for an H9 on my board (witch replaced factor pedals years ago), running in a couple of loops of a Boss ES-8, controlled entirely via midi from the Boss unit. I set up the H90 with the same cc#’s I used on the H9, and plugged everything in, and there’s a difference that is frustrating. When I send a cc to engage the tuner, all good. When I change to a new patch on the ES-8, the tuner stays engaged, regardless of a program change message being sent to the H90. This means I then have to set up a cc in the second patch to disengage the tuner. The H9 (and pitchfactor if I recall) did not operate this way. If they are in tuner mode, and they received a program change, they would disengage the tuner and go to that preset. This is a more useful functionality I believe. I’m not sure if I’m missing something, but it seems that the H90 functions differently. There are workarounds, but the way I have things set up it’s clunky. Can it be made to operate the same as the tuners over midi as the previous pedals?

The second issue is regarding the tuner itself. I play bass, with a low A# string (half a step down from standard). The pedal cannot read this string unless I fret it at the first fret (B1). It jumps around and is useless. The H9 and pitchfactor never had this issue. It’s only a problem on the lowest note, all other strings are ok. I of course have the input set to bass.

Lorpal
      Participant

On my es-8 I set my mute switch to activate the tuner from any patch and set it to toggle so I can turn it on and off.

you have to tell mute not to mute, send the cc to your h9 or h90 and set the mute switch to also activate the loop your h9 is on.

don’t know about the tuner A# side because I’m tuned to B standard – did you set the input as bass?

badmoki
      Participant

play a harmonic at 12th or 5th fret to tune the low note

Atomicunderware
      Participant

Thanks for the replies.

The mute switch is an option for the tuner activation, I’ll give it a go. I would still prefer a program change message to disengage the tuner if possible, given the way I have things set up.

I could tune using harmonics, but I rather use the open string. As I said, it wasn’t a problem on the previous two pedals, it really shouldn’t be here (in fact it should be better, apparently).

Neither issue is a huge problem, it’s just frustrating when you do a direct swap with an H9 and these little things are different.

Lorpal
      Participant

You can do it with a program change too but every program would have to send the tuner off message- there also might be something in the H90 global settings to help you.

personally I prefer the mute switch way so I have the tuner available on every bank and every patch and don’t have to looking for it…

I also have my es8 setup to change amp channels every time I repush the preset switch – ie preset 1 brings me my preset – tap 1 again and it’s my preset going through my dirty channel, press it again clean channel. ES 8 is pretty amazing

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff

I’ve logged your feature request to allow a PC message to interrupt the state of the tuner.

Sorry, but the minimum value of the tuner on the H90 is B0, so that’s why you’re experiencing this issue with the low A#.

Atomicunderware
      Participant

Thanks, that would be really helpful.

A pity regarding the tuner. Is it a hardware issue that cannot be altered so it has the functionality of the H9 and pitchfactor?

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

You’re welcome. We will also look into allowing the tuner to work with lower frequencies. Thanks for reporting this.

mjahoger
      Participant

+1. Replacing my 2 H9s with an H90 and not being able to have the tuner function in the same manner is very frustrating.

Is there a work around? For instance what will happen if the tuner is engaged and both “Enter Perform mode” is send as a CC message as well as a separate PC message to activate a specific program? I.e. if I am in program 11, engage the tuner using a CC message, then send a CC message to enter perform mode AND send PC message 12 to engage program 12. Will this work?

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Yes, the Enter Perform Mode command will exit the tuner menu and the PC message will load the Program.

mjahoger
      Participant

Great to hear! Now only a possibility to toggle between the two performance pages using MIDI CC messages so I can access the activate and Hotswitch functions on the footswitches using MIDI, and I will be super happy!

stevo71
      Participant

I second the wish for a larger or better readable tuner display, as others stated before. Thanks in advance, I love the H90

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.