H90 – using unbalanced I/O with balanced load box/amp sim

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H90 – using unbalanced I/O with balanced load box/amp sim

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      oliverhild
      Participant

I’m considering using the H90 with my Two Notes Captor X load box/amp sim which outputs a balanced stereo line level signal (XLR) from my tube amp. Sounds like the H90 can accept line level signal but the inputs/outputs are unbalanced.  Will there be any issues with noise or anything going from my load box/amp sim setup into the H90 unbalanced?  It’s usually not “technically” ideal to go from balanced to unbalanced, but is there a real-world issue here?

An H90 would be 100% an at-home studio tool for me and having a stereo amp setup seems overkill for my needs.  However, it feels like I’d be shortchanging myself not using the stereo-ness of the H90’s capabilities. That’s why I like the idea of using it after my mono amp signal has been made stereo and balanced for recording by the Captor X.  Otherwise I think I’d really only be able to use it mono either going into the front of the amp, or in the effects loop.

Should I just get high-quality, short as possible, XLR to TS cables for getting in and out of the H90 and go for it?  Merge cold w/ ground on unbalanced TS side?

Curious any thoughts you may have!  Thanks!

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff

You can use either an XLR to TS cable, or an XLR to TRS cable and you will be fine. The H90 has unbalanced inputs, but will accept a balanced TRS cable without issues. Just make sure you configure the H90’s inputs to line level.

oliverhild
      Participant

very helpful, thanks for the feedback!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.