H90 with Boss ES-8

Home Forums Products Stompboxes H90 with Boss ES-8

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Sorbz62
      Participant

I am looking for a little advice in order to maximise the potential of my new H90.

I use my Boss ES-8 in 4cm and want to connect my H90 to the stereo loops (#7 &8) in dual mode, enabling me to place each effect anywhere in the signal chain according to preset.

I’m not sure if this is the best way to do this. The ES-8 is the rig controller with midi and control change functions.

Also if using an H9 as well, where would you put it?

Finally, if only using a mono rig, would you connect the H90 and H9 in mono loops?

Cheers in advance,

Jim

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff

Using Dual Mode on the H90 would allow for any combination of presets on either loop 7 or 8, so that is definitely a good option.

If you have another loop free on your ES-8, I would set it up in it’s own loop. If your rig is mono, then you should make all of your H90/H9 connections in mono.

rograt
      Participant

I have just received my H90. I am already thrilled with it and have enabled Dual Routing for use with my trusty Boss ES-8.

I have ES-8 Loop 7 pre Volume loop using In/Out 1 of the H90

I have ES-8 Loop 8 post Volume loop using In/Out 3 of the H90

Initial problem is that none of the factory presets are set up this way so all effects are coming out through Loop 7 (before gain stages of the amp and the last thing I want as the default).

The Quick Reference Guide states “H90 has a complete set of alternate Program Lists with Dual Routing”.

Does anyone know how I access this alternate list so I can quickly familiarise myself with the sounds?

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Enabling Dual Mode will automatically change the available lists you can use. By default, the User 1 list will have all of the Presets on Path 1. You can press the Routing button to change which path the presets are on.

If you press the Programs button and select the Pre-Post or Bass list, these Programs will have one Preset on either path.

rograt
      Participant

Thanks tbskoglund. Maybe it needs to reboot. I’ll try again.

The be clear I want to set up 3 types of program

1 Both presets on Loop 7
      2 One Preset in Loop 7 and one Preset in Loop 8|
      3 Both Presets in Loop 8

Can I do this? If so where do I go to drop the presets into the desired route? I looked in H90 control in Edit>Routing/Inserts and can only see how to set Series or Parallel.

I’m hoping this exercise will help others in the future.

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Yes, the presets can be placed anywhere on either path.

If your pedal is in dual mode, when you click the “Routing” tab in H90 Control, there are 5 options which allow you to put the presets on different paths.

Sorbz62
      Participant

Just use 2 loops for the H90. You can put them in any order with the ES-8. Put it in dual mode and you’re good to go.

Also, put the H9 in another loop. You can put it and the H90 before or after the amp FX loop with the ES-8

rograt
      Participant

So the presets automatically split across the 2 loops? That isn’t happening with the factory programs.

rograt
      Participant

Also I have been in System and the Playlists available are User 1, 2, 3 and 4

tbskoglund
      Eventide Staff

The presets will not automatically be on separate paths. You’ll need to configure this from the routing menu.

In H90 Control, click the Programs tab and then click the List tab in the upper left corner. There is a Factory Bass list and Factory Pre-Post list. These cannot be chosen as your playlist, but these offer Programs with one Preset on either path.

rograt
      Participant

Thanks for the explanation. I found the lists, enabled the programs, saw the pre/post setting. For some reason the pre and post part is all output as pre. I’ll figure it out eventually.

rograt
      Participant

OK all working fine now. Finally got all of the ducks in a row. Thanks for your help. This beast is going to be well worth the wait 🙂

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Glad to hear you got it sorted!

Sorbz62
      Participant

@rograt. What did you do to rectify the issue?

rograt
      Participant

I just got everything right. By the time I had all the settings right I had also turned off the amps effect loop on its footswitch – that’s what feeds loop 8 / path 2. So just before it worked I actually lost Path 2!

I also realised that User List 1 can be modified and took very little time to set 100 x program routings. The good thing is that some I left, some I split and some moved completely to the other path. I’m now enjoying tweaking the programs to learn the sounds before creating my own list.

There are some challenges further down the line. I like to change things on the fly and I realise that a footswitch for each path doesn’t help when both presets are in the same path. Switching on/off of presets will have to be done another way. Maybe using the 3 way switch I used with the Pitchfactor.

I’m using a MIDI Maestro to do the program selection (the ES-8 has enough to do) so this will be an amazing set up.

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Just to clarify, the A/B footswitches will always bypass/enable that preset, regardless of which path the preset is on.

rograt
      Participant

Thanks for the clarification. I’m learning the distinction between these and the push LED buttons. I’ve had the user manual for months but nothing beats actually doing it!

ORESCANIN
      Participant

I am just getting started with midi.  I have the Boss ES8 and the H90.  What I want to do for now is very simple.  I want to:

Create patches on the H90 (Check)

Be able to send a midi message from the ES8 to turn on multiple effects (Check)

One of those effects will be a certain preset that I created on the H90 – NOPE!  I can’t seem to figure out how to do this.  I am sure it is very simple.  I’ve watched about two hours of videos and they all seem to ‘skip’ over this in favour of more complex things (like those in the start of this thread).

Is there some setting I need to use on the ES8 to ‘talk’ to the h90?

I’m willing to learn if someone can direct me to a document to read or a video to watch.

I think I am doing everything right on the ES8 but it does not seem to call up anything on the h90…

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Hello,

Sorry it is not quite clear what you are asking. It sounds like you have figured out how to connect the ES8 to the H90 via MIDI.

If you send a Program Change (PC) message to the H90, that will load one of the Programs from your current list of 99 Programs. A Program contains 2 Presets.

You cannot send a MIDI message that will change one of the 2 presets within a Program, you must send a PC message to load a specific Program from your list.

For example, create a Program that includes 2 Presets you like on list slot number 5 of the H90. When your send PC 5 from your MIDI controller, it will load that Program.

Does that answer your question?

ORESCANIN
      Participant

I don’t think they are talking….  I went into the h90 and selected midi channel 1.  Then I told the boss to send on Channel 1…. is that it?  Because that doesn’t seem to do it.

I was using CC though, so I will try PC tonight.

So… If I select it to send on channel 1 and select PC5 it should turn on preset 5 and if the next patch I set up sends on channel 1 and selects PC8 the H90 should switch to preset 8?

That’s what I am hoping for.

Also, as long as I have the h90 on User2 when I start (that’s where my presets are saved), it should automatically select from there instead of user 1, etc?

Thanks in advance

tbskoglund
        Eventide Staff

Yes, all that is correct. On the H90, go to System > MIDI > PC Offset, and set this to 1. This will make your PC numbers line up. If the channels on both devices are set to 1, you should be all set. The H90 will load the Programs from the currently selected list.

Let me know if this works.

ORESCANIN
      Participant

Worked like a charm!  Thank you!  The Offset was the key.  I can’t wait to dig deeper into this unit.  I will have harder questions next time lol

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.